Wide Crosses and What Happens

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

I love wide crosses in Iris since you never know what you are going to get.
I crossed Chanted an occasionally reblooming Standard Dwarf Bearded Iris with the Species Iris lutescens

This Chanted

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

This is the Species about 6"
Chanted is 8-10"

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

This cross produce 32 seedlings 7 have already been put to compost muddy yellow bad form etc. 6 of this cross were wonderful maroons with good form. Expecting the rest to bloom the first two were a surprise

This Is this purple one bloomed similar to Iris lutescens when it first opened

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Then a couple hours later it was a complete disaster

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Right next to it was this little one which maintained its form for several days

Thumbnail by avmoran
Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

This is very interesting and I hope you will continue to share more pictures. Thanks!

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Here is one of the maroons that I will be keeping

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

And another sibling

Thumbnail by avmoran
Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

I can see why. Those are beautiful and expressive...and impressive!

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Those maroons are beautiful!

South Hamilton, MA

When Chanted first came to USA, Keith Keppel crossed it onto the whole garden of SDBs. He did us all a favor by analizing the results & found that while it had good form, it still needed to be crossed to good form to keep it. Such wide crosses as you have found, need form improvements. So your 'good' maroon results should be crossed to good form as well?

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Here is another wide Cross
This is between Persian Padishah and arilbred 3/4 and Daughter of Stars a Tall Bearded

This is Daughter of Stars

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

This is Persian Padishah the pod Parent

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

This is Seedling #1 nice Onco Form strange pattern luminata like pattern

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

This is seedling #2
Little narrow but it takes a while for Arilbred to develop This one has a very faint teal wash on the fall

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

This is #4

A glaciata pattern which means there is no purple in the flower
Nicer form than 2 and a nice diamond dusting

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

This is #6 ok form nice color good spot

Still have 3 others that will probably bloom next year and these will hopefully be even better.
:)
A

Thumbnail by avmoran
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Very pretty. It's amazing how many different forms you got!

northwest, IL(Zone 5a)

INteresting.
PLease define "wide cross" if it's a hybridation term.
For example if it were possible, would iris pseudacorus x TB iris be a wide cross?
or species iris pumila x TB 'Variegata' iris?

or is it just bearded iris of different heights that would be a wide cross?

thx!
Karen

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Iris Pseudacorus X TB probably would not take since one is bearded and one is not
The Iris pumila X TB is a wide cross. Usually wide crossed at unrelated species or cultivars originating from unrelated i.e Aril X bearded = Arilbreds.

Arilbreds X bearded though came from both is still a wide cross just putting more of one's genes into the mix.

Crosses between I. lutescens with a pumila derived dwarf would also be a wide mix.

I am calling them wide because current hybridizers are using alot of line breeding and inbreeding.

South Hamilton, MA

Don't have pictures, but my wides are I.aphylla X TB pollen donated by a friend, & tet. MTB x pumila

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

WOW those would be something to look at
:)
A

South Hamilton, MA

The first are all purple with haft markings in some cases, TB was plic seedling. I have discarded many, still working on narrowing them down. Grow like weeds, trying to leave the best form for the next step. TB x pumila has 2 plants.Tet MTB x pumila has no germination as yet. The last one is because of Ben Hager's advice to try that for MDBs. (miniature dwarf). It has been reprinted in the dwarf newsletter several times including the current issue.

South Hamilton, MA

The next step in the aphylla x TB is to watch to harvest the bee pods, quite a few this yr; slated for SIGNA.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.