Native azelias and others

Dahlonega, GA

man, don't make me lie about variety. I dug that one up in the woods about seven years ago . It was a shoot off a root of an older one . It was about nine or ten inches tall when I cut it loose . I have another one that's different . I may lose it , it's died back because I had too much compost mixed in the planting medium , and the compost has decayed to the point of having air pocket underneath . I've been washing soil into the space for two years and it's coming out from the base . I'm keeping my fingers crossed . When it first blooms , they are a bright yellow , but when the bloom starts to fade it turns a blood red . I took some blooms preserved in ice ,of three stages to a guy that is supposed to know azaleas and he showed them to a grower and supplier but couldn't id them either . Said mutations occur naturally in the wild . That first one came out of White county and went back several years later to get more ,but the road had been widened and the mother plant was gone . The second one that comes out red, was washed off the bank of Chestatee river , but the property has sold to a development and is Birch River golf community now .digger

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Digger, its so sad that developers and highway crews know nothing about plants. If they would notify the GNPS before they destroy an area, so much could be saved.

Dahlonega, GA

Beclu , your so right . Our county agent has had a few rescue days here on property that was going to be a city lake . But private property, like the golf club and subdivisions get bulldozed . It would be so nice if permits were issued After rescues , or "on condition ". It wouldn't be a big deal to re-wright the city/county rules. sally

Dahlonega, GA

Old thread but thought I'd report that I haven't had a display of color from these like that year. Some have gone to flower heaven . So glad I took these pictures so I would see just how beautiful they were .

Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

good thinking. I have a nice native azalea on my property and bought another last year from Wayside Nursery at the spring wildflower festival which is still sitting in its pot. I'm probably going to get it planted this weekend. In fact was reading a little about propagating the deciduous azalea. From what I've read, seeds are easy to grow.

Crossville, TN

Here in Arizona if a development or road is going through they issue permits to remove native things like cactus.

What did we use to call the wild Azaleas? I know they were of the Azalea family, but aren't they all in the Rodendron(sp) family....I love them all...don't see them in AZ...no shade. Jo

Dahlonega, GA

Some call it a honeysuckle shrub . I have a real honeysuckle shrub and it is nothing like an azalea. Yes they are Rhododendrons

Crossville, TN

Yes! Honeysuckle...we had many in our woods as a child. Thanks, Jo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.