Thumbnail by digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

more

Thumbnail by digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

and more

Thumbnail by digger9083
Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Those are gorgeous! Are they naturally occurring, or did you plant them? I found some in the woods last year, guess it's time to see if they're still there. Not nearly as spectacular as yours, just pink and white, but I was very happy to find them:)

Margo

Dahlonega, GA

some are mixed

Thumbnail by digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

All these are transplants from the woods .The pink aren't blooming good yet .

Thumbnail by digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

Getting bored yet ? Opps, this one was already posted.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2009 12:45 PM

Thumbnail by digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

This is fun .

Thumbnail by digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

I love living in the woods.

Thumbnail by digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

A couple of bought ones , some mixed with natives

Thumbnail by digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

Wrong picture . Could anyone ID this above? Almost through.

Thumbnail by digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

One more

Thumbnail by digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

I sure hope you enjoyed these .digger

This message was edited Apr 29, 2009 12:41 PM

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Digger, I live in the woods too but I don't have a fabulous display of azaleas like that! A. the deer eat them, B. the 2 I have (bought) just don't bloom too much -- too much shade? We do have a few pink ones in the woods. But your place is wonderful. What is your secret?

RE: ID. The blue flowering plant is Amsonia / Blue Star. I think it's this one: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/150202/ or this one: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1010/

I just bought an A. t. called Blue Ice. I also have (bought) A. hubrichtii which has narrower leaves.

Cartersville, GA

It is Amsonia. This one is called Blue Star. We found ours growing in the woods and transplanted it years ago and have been enjoying it ever since.

Your native azaleas are beautiful. Ours have been stunning this year. This must be a good year for them.

Dahlonega, GA

Cedar , it takes them a few years to strut their stuff . If you want the secret to transplanting ,I'll be glad to share . digger

Dahlonega, GA

I don't know where the blue plant came from . I know I didn't plant it . It's down at the shop and will transplant it to my yard area after it's blooms fade . Thanks, I thought it was just a pretty weed . digger

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful azaleas. Love the one in the 1st pic. I have woods, but no native azaleas.

Dahlonega, GA

Beclu 727 , you have plants that I never even heard of . Fabulous.I really enjoyed you hostessing the roundup last year , loved seeing all the neat things you have . digger

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Digger, we'll have to get together sometime soon. Do you need any tomato or pepper plants. I have a lot of extras.
Becky

Dahlonega, GA

Becky , I'd love to have more room to have lots of veggies . I've been cleaning out raised beds of Japanese maples , to pots ,so I could plant spinach and greens . I don't have enough sun and plant my jalapeno in border to mimic flowers . I sure appreciate it tho .Johnny went wild and over bought things to plant , thus keeping me busy potting up to keep ahead of him .I'm trying to make a farmer out of him .IT'S WORKING ! digger

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Whoa! Digger, Now why couldnt all those beauties have been blooming while I was there?? That is some show girl! All I have in Wild azaleas ,is a little yellow one but it was full of blooms this year.
I have been at work today planting Liriope around a memorial garden bed. I m thinking about adding four Red knockout roses in the back against a wall. Then mulching the whole thing . want to keep it simple and pretty.
What do you all think about this new plastic or rubber mulch??

Dahlonega, GA

It works fine . I've talked to an owner that put it in , and they say it's good .I'd like to see it in tan instead of black . Seems it would get too hot .
Yes ,you missed the blooms by two weeks . Last year when we got back in March , the peak was over . guess it depends on the weather , temp .
About that mulch , I think you have to put down underlayment. It doesn't soak up water ,and stay damp underneth but keeps the ground damp . If you try a little of it , let me know what you think. As hard as tires are to get rid of , they should give it to you . lol digger

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Digger! I saw it at Wally World in a reddish Cedar color. Looks like it would match the color of the bricks on the building behind the garden. I dont believe Ive ever seen the black color.

Dahlonega, GA

That's the only one I saw . Saw it at a school playground too, and metal detected it . Was afraid it would have little pieces of metal in it but it didn't seem to . sis

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I love the native azeleas. I wish more people would grow them. This is a Florida native azelea that I purchased at Callaway Gardens a few years back.

Thumbnail by weeding
Dahlonega, GA

Hello , weeding , I wish I had dug some of the yellow ones . I didn't appreciate them at the time , and regret it now . Too old to pursue it now . Thanks for posting . I've tried to get to call. gardens for years and haven't made it yet . Digger

Dahlonega, GA

These aren't native , but beautiful , so I added them . can't remember the name of either of them ,but would remember if I heard it . The yellow ,gold one is a Klondike , I think. digger

Thumbnail by digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

The other one . All I remember, is, it has a mans name. digger

Thumbnail by digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

Another view closer. digger

Thumbnail by digger9083
Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Here are my Azaleas.

Thumbnail by frausnow
Dahlonega, GA

Oooooooooooo , I want those ! Gaawjus . I 've never had the blooms from mine like those . Just about the time they get full of buds and have grown a good bit , those d - - - worms go up through the stems and kill the whole branch . I need to put out my systemic now .
But don't we have beautiful azaleas in Georgia ? How about youall post us some more pictures . digger

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

About 8 years ago, I planted a row of azaleas in the front yard. I had a list of what they were, but of course I've lost it. There were 7 kinds, 2 of each kind. Only one has died. Here's a pic of most of the row this year The 2 without blooms are finished blooming. They are always the first to bloom.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I don't have any natives, but these put on a pretty good show. Here's the first to bloom. It is actually more red than the picture shows.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

One of the whites closeup.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

A pink one.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

This one is sort of lavender.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Coral colored one. Actually darker than shown in the picture.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Last one, this pink just started blooming. It is the smallest in the row and its mate was the one that died.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

beautiful pictures!

what variety is the azalea in the first picture?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.