suggestions for lighting a Nepenthes grow box?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Dear All,

I recently put together a miniature grow-box for use on my balcony to grow Nepenthes. Apart from the question of keeping temps bearably cool, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on light. First, what strength shade cloth should I use? (I live in North Carolina, and the plants get about 4 -6 hrs. morning sun). I've heard some say they use 50%, while others say that's too shady...of course this must vary by locale. Or, if I were to move the box inside & use fluorescent lighting, how many fixtures should I use for a box that is 48" tall, 40" wide, and 28" deep? (The lights would have to be placed vertically on the sides of the box).

Thank you so much in advance for sharing your collective wisdom!
~Nicholas

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Something equal to a sheer window curtain would be good. They like bright indirect Sun. VERY early morning or very late afternoon sun is ok.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I hang my Nepenthes in trees. Needless to say in Florida it is hot and bright. I always know if there isn't enough light, because I get no pitchers. I have a N "Red Beauty" and if it isn't in sufficient light it turns green. Sufficient light and the entire plant -- leaves and pitchers turn dark, deep red.

Which Nepenthes do you have. Depending on the the type, they may prefer being inside. I have several highland Nepenthes and Ultras that stay inside -- N. ventricosa, N. lowii, N. "Judith Finn" -- they can't handle the heat. The sit on a windowsill with a grow light. N. ventrata, N. truncata, N. "Red Beauty", N. "miranda" all stay outside until it is about 40 degrees F.

My lowlands like N. ampullaria, N. bicalcarata and N. rafflesiana all come in when it hits 55 outside. If it feels cool to me, then they come in.

I volunteer at a Botanical Gardens and the Neps are in a green house and seem very happy. Very bright shade and about 95-100 degrees.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.