Memorial Tree- for lost Brother in MT.

Casa Grande, AZ(Zone 9b)

Last Fall Our family lost our beloved brother/son too soon, too young.

I have planned to find a tree to plant in his honor on the ranch in North Central MT. I want it to grow large, wide based, and strong. a Marvel for the family to picnic under for generations.

They already have Willows, LInden, Cottenwoods, and pine. The wind blows hard often and it gets very very cold...making it to -50 often with wind chill.

2 Questions:
1. What kind of large tree would augment their current trees/ yard - that can handle cold and wind...and is fairly drought tolerant?
2. Where would one suggest I find a more mature Boxed tree in Montana?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Don't know much about trees in Montana, but it seems that some form of oak might be nice. Don't know which ones grow there or where you would buy a boxed one.. In fact, I am not sure what boxed means.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

What is the annual precip, CasaG? Are you planting next to a stream? I think that's the only possibility, unless there is consistent irrigation.

We get 12" annual precip in Helena, and there are very few large trees here:
Norway maple - you have to water it
Cottonwood - weak wood, needs a creek nearby
Spruce - you have to water it
Black walnut - you have to water it
Horse Chestnut - there are only a couple of these, and they are quite old and huge.

In other words, all trees need watering in Helena, or they end up scrawny. In North Central Montana, you'll have even more wind to contend with.

Casa Grande, AZ(Zone 9b)

The area where this will be planted is up in the Sweetgrass Hills. Northeast of Shelby.

There are some natural springs on the ranch and they have a well. So they can water it...but I know BIg trees generally need lots of water to get that way. I want it to be a protective shade for future generations

I thought of a oak...not sure the best one for zone 3a

24" box trees are generally the size above 15 gallon.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

If you ever come up with the right variety of tree for the area, you might be able to get fairly large size ones at a variety of mail order nurseries -- Forest Farm comes to mind. It ships some decent size plants and they are very good at packing them so them come in excellent condition.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Call Forde Nursery in Great Falls. They know their trees and your problem is soil alkalinity. Elms seem to do well in Great Falls and handle the soil well. Just dont prune without sterile saws. Forde will have all of your answers. I went often to their nursery.

Casa Grande, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thank you all for your help...I am calling Forde Nursery tomorrow. Bless you all!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.