Any southern Folks seen the hummers yet?

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I'v never seen a tree rat even try to get in mine !! but if I do POW I have a pellet gun too ;0)
Gloria

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

hehehe.....do not like them..but..I could not do that...lol...got a kitty could take care of that..but..she does not go out...hahaha..you should see her at the door......if we let her out....I wonder..not going to do that though...more trouble..maybe.. happy night....smiles.Diana

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Wonder if they'll eat Cranberry Sauce? :-P

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

Had our first hummer at the house last night....its been back about 20 times that I have seen!

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Saw my first one today. Tiny and dull looking but beautiful!

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

Deann, thats a wonderful set up you have there :) I bought a home made oriole feeder a gal made for me :) Trouble is the darn plastic cups are so small, and are on small pegs, that when we get a little wind, off they go into the wild blue ?? Never to be seen again, I did replace them with the bottoms of pop btls., and this time I just glued them down, LOL
Hi Gloria, I found a robins nest a few yrs. ago in the wishing well at the midland house! This year I walked over to see if there were any eggs? Sure enuff, 3 quite large ones, all cold. The next norning I saw the robin fly off and I ran out to check on the eggs, there were 4 of them, all nice and warm :) Geesh, I am so far behind, I never even thought of looking for the little hummers? I will have to make some sugar water for them, as were going to stay at the midland house all summer :) I can't wait to put up the feeders and see them! I have been going there about once a week, and have kept on filling the feeders with the grape jelly. By the way, what are tree rats??

Thumbnail by tootsie
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

squirels little buggers are trying to get the robins eggs so far they have chased it off and I keep shooting it in the rear with the pellet gun they dig up bulbs too!!!;0( let me know when you get moved in so we can see each other oh happy day ;0)
Gloria

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

hahaha...tree rats..for sure...Squirrels not much fun..for sure..smiles..Diana

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

We have found 3 robins nests so far to watch this year. Of course now we can't use the items they built the nests on. LOL

Last night I saw swans as usual. There are 4 that hang out together, but later, I only saw 2, and something else. Seems this male ran the other 4 off, because he is the proud papa of 8 little ones. That is the most we have seen. They were on the other side of the lake and no pictures, I am sad to say. What a troop of pike bait they have.

We also saw a deer walking through the marsh, she walked right through mama and daddy goose and their goslings browsing on some grass. Boy were they mad. Then she wandered too close to a red-winged blackbird nest and got her butt bit a few times. She really kicked up her heels, but the bird still attacked her.

Quite the wild kingdom out on the deck last night!

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

I saw one a couple days ago and of all things I have a Cardinal than made a nest in the climbing rose bush by my backdoor that is frequently used when we let the dogs out to pee. I thought Cardinals were timid and illusive birds that don't like being around people.
What the heck are we going to do when the babies are born?!?
Does anybody know how long the babies are in the nest?

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I am so upset. We have a ten foot doorwall. I pulled the drapes open this morning as usual and a beautiful litlte hummingbird flew right into the glass and knocked itself out. I immediately closed the drapes. I don't know if it will revive itself and fly off or not. Sometimes they do. I'm afraid to look. I feel so bad. I hate to keep the drapes closed all the time. Maybe I should move the feeders more away from the house even if it means we can't watch them. Any suggestions from anyone?

Lachine, MI

Awwww...oh loon, i know how you must feel! Perhaps use a shepards hook to hold the feeder and move it out a little farther-
Is there anything in the red color that the little hummers can see inside the house?

And then i have seen these decals that look like nothing to us- but the birds see them differently-
I hope the little hummer made it?
Oh maybe it was seeing the reflection of the feeder in the window? Do you suppose?

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Good news. THe little bird laid there knocked out cold like he was dead for about 10 or 15 minutes. He finally woke up and sat there real still for about an hour then shook himself off and flew away.

I do have the feeders on a shepherds' hook just outside the deck. I will try moving them further out in the yard and see if it makes a difference. Where do you buy those decals at? What are they called? I hate having the drapes closed up all day. It makes it dark in the house and dreary. It does keep them from flying into the glass though. This isn't the first time birds have flew into that glass. Most of the time they make it but sometimes they die.

Brenda

Caro, MI(Zone 5a)

Hey Brenda! You know, we have an 8' doorwall that faces south and in 11 years have only had one bird knock itself out. I keep the blinds & drapes open most of the day too, only close them for a bit in the late afternoon to keep the hot sunshine out. The hummers go for the fucshia that are only about 4' & 12' away from the door. Do you have any flowering plants inside the house in front of the doorwall? Perhaps putting a flowering one outside on the deck close to the doorwall would direct their attention to that instead? They are so fragile looking, I think they bring out our maternal instincts! LOL

Mary Ellen

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

We sometimes have birds knock themselves out and sadly a few that don't make it.

I was weeding the walk yesterday by my window and found a dead hummer. She was laying with wings out and I took a stick and gently petted her, in case she was just cold, and she was stiff. I feel so bad finding something like that. Poor thing. We had one stuck in our garage once that died. Nothing we could do would encourage her to go out the door. (hanging red, etc) They are so tiny and fragile and it is a tough world out there.

What an amazing bird to watch though. You cannot help but smile when a hummer buzzes you!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I found some of the decals on Ebay and ordered some. I hope that fixes the problem along with moving the feeders further out from the house. My doorwall window faces East. Not sure if that means anything or not. I miss watching them but will keep the drapes drawn till the decals arrive in the mail.

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

We had a hawk about 3 months back fly into our large foyer window...I woke up out of a dead sleep...my husband was still up watching the boob tube....it was carrying a mouse and dropped it on the front porch...no sooner did it get up that it flew back into the window again...I'm completely shocked the window didn't break...it was really loud as well!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I got the decals in the mail and have them up on the window. So far so good. I hope this solves our problems. I hate when birds fly into the windows. :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.