Any southern Folks seen the hummers yet?

Lachine, MI

Just wondering if any folks from the southern end of Michigan has seen their first hummers?
Or does anyone know where to find the sighting map... I think notmartha always posts it?
Thank you...
Sandy

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Here's this -
http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

Guess I'd better get my feeders out. If they come this early here, they'll starve.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the map. Looks like I need to put my feeders out today so we're ready for them. Last year my hummers found ME out in the yard. I was doing some watering. THe little bird came right up to my face and hovered as if to say, "I'm here. Where's the food?" I finally stopped what I was doing and got the feeder put up for him.

Last fall when they left the one actually came to say goodbye. One hovered by the doorwall looking in. The other one found me out in the field where I was sitting and painting an old wagon I have. He just hovered by my face as if to say, "I'm leaving. See you next year." They are so sweet.

Hubby has concerns about feeding them this year since they're coming out of Mexico where that awful swine flu is killing people. He is afraid they may be carrying disease but I have not heard anything about not feeding the birds. I'll hang my feeders out today.

Lachine, MI

Yes, thank you SOOOOOOOOOO VERYYYYYY much for the map!
It is such fun to watch the progress of the little birds!
what a sweet story loon- it does feel like they say hello again old friend, dosen't it?!
Have you ever seen the hummingbird moth? When I first seen it- i Thought it was a baby hummer-LOL
I don't think I'll worry about the hummers carrying the disease...I don't think I could not set up the feeders for them...that would be so hard to do...unless of course...we had to. that would be such a sad day.

Lake, MI

Nothing here yet. I put my feeders (hummingbird and oriole) last week just in case.

When I see them I know it is summer!

Amos

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

They gotta swim if they're comin' here. Sigh.

Mopping, sucking, sweeping, digging run away ditches, monitoring sump pumps..........

SOMEBODY SEND ME SOME DRY DESERT!

This week in the basement brings a whole meaning to the title "A River Runs Through It."
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105265/

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

My hummingbird came back today! I knew it was about time so I had put the Shepherd's hook up and brought the glass hummingbird feeders in to soak in a little bleach water and scub them up. Well, I was sitting at the table and I look up and there he is...........at the doorwall.........just hovering as if to say "Hello. I'm back. Where's the grub?" I got up and quickly finished washing the feeders and filled them with fresh sugar water and hung them right up. He must have been watching me because he swooped in for a nice long drink.

That made my day.

Brenda

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh my I guess I will have to get mine out also. I wasn't sure but I thought I seen one the other day! But said no its way to early. But guess I was wrong. Ronna

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

The Orioles have landed :)
havent seen a hummer yet
but some huge bubble bees

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

We did have one humming bird buzz me over the weekend. A lady at work said they were at her feeders.

I put my oriole feeder up saturday and had a taker within the hour. The birds are back. Yea!

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

I have seen bees the size of finches around here. I am hummer free here so far. Who knows if our newish home is on there flight path or not. If not, will work like the dickens to get them here! My favorite thing to see every year!! I know I love seeing the hummingbird moth at the butterfly bushes. Kids think its funny looking. This year I sure hope they come to the new place!

Lachine, MI

What great reports and thank you all... this am I hung out 2 feeders since I heard the orioles singing...no hummers hear yet....I had it marked on last year calender that the orioles landed on monday- just like they did yeaterday and our 1st hummer was on the
9th of May..wouldn't that be something if the hummers arrived the same day as they did last year? Maybe they do have a sense of time? Not weather? Also morel mushrooms are arriving in this neck of the woods...any one else go mushroom picking? I tried shaggies last year and yum! They do top the list!! LOL
Sandy

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I have been keeping track of things like this for a few years, and yes, many times it is on the same day. First red wing black bird, first time hearing peeper frogs, first oriole, first turtle sighted sunning, etc.

It is strange how we will have an early or late spring and still these things are on the same day.

Hope everyone sees their favorite soon!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I was taking the dog for a walk the other day and seen the smallest turtle I have ever seen. It was the size of a nickle!!! So cute. I moved him off the path of course the dog had to kiss him. I also have notied extra large bumble bees around ourhouse also. Whats going on? Mutant bees. I was out side this morning at 6:30 this morning weeding. I had so much fun. :):):):):). Love spring. Ronna

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Haven't seen any of the large bees.

From what I have observed about turtles though, the eggs are laid in the spring and hatch in the fall. Sometimes, if they hatch late, they will winter over before coming out of the ground and you will see them in the spring. Maybe that is what you saw.

They are sure cute when they are that size.

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Yeah, the bumbles are HUGE this year! And they practically land on you when they buzz slowly by.

Lake, MI

Mine was here on Sunday. I have had my feeders out for a week or so, just in case a stray one needed some juice.

My shepherd tried to eat it! Bad dog. He eats bumble bees and the noise made him think he was going after one of them.

I got two huge fushias and hung them up on the porch hoping he will come back.

Amos

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Ohhhh....fuschia! I can't wait til I have a little more plant cash!

Lachine, MI

Today our little friend returned,,,at least one of them!! I was so happy to see him...but feel bad for the 41 degree weather he will have to face come saturday...poor babies!

Traverse City, MI

My hummers have been back in Traverse City for about 5 days now.

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

No Hummers here and my feeders have been out for a while. Sigh.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

First pair showed up last Saturday, May 9

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

hummers here

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

there all here now too I love spring ;0) I forgot to move the robbins nest off the shed from last year so we could put the new green house there to late now so the green house will have to wait till the babies are gone there so cute

Gloria

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Yuck baby robins!! Im not a robin fan! They are bad on my fruit crops!!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

We were out of town for a couple days. Before we left, we spotted an oriole starting a nest. It was complete when we returned last night. We really have a "birds eye" view of it.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

We have orioles too. I saw them trying to drink out of the hummingbird feeders so I went out to the garage and got the oriole feeder and cleaned and filled it with sugar water. They were happy because it's easier for them to perch and drink out of the bigger feeder. Now the hummingbirds have their choice of where to eat.

Brenda

Traverse City, MI

Our hummers have been here for a week or so - the orioles just got here two days ago. We had put out oranges earlier in the week when the rose-breasted grossbeaks came in, because they often travel with the orioles. This morning I saw a hummingbird drinking juice out of one of the oranges I had put out - first time I ever so that!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Dori there safe here I don't have fruit trees YET ;0)
Gloria

Port Huron, MI(Zone 6a)

My hummers came back 2 days before mothers day. Last year they came back right on mothers day. I did have my feeder out and my quince is in bloom which they like. I love to watch them all summer and my grandchildren are absolutely enthralled with them. I used to hunt morels and shaggy barks all of the time, but haven't been able to find any around here for several years. I did hear though that a friend of mine found a couple. I wish I knew where to look. I've debated trying to order some dried morels for cooking, but I'm not sure the best place to order them

Caro, MI(Zone 5a)

I see the hummers the day that I hang the fuchsia plants out. Out of all of the deck plants they seem to love the fuchsia. I get mine as early as I can and bring them in every night! :)

Mary Ellen

Lachine, MI

Grammielorilee,
there certainly is no rhyme or reason when it comes to either variety of mushroom-lol
find them on one side of the road- but not the other- even tho its the same type of forrest- go figure-
we did find some morels- yay! going out again tonight - shaggy's are a fall type mushie-
i do dry mine to use later in cooking - once we've had enough of the butter and onion type.
yummie-
Sandy

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Hummers, Orioles, Grossbecks have been back here for a week.
The Orioles were the first to arrive, and then the Hummers, and then the Grossbecks. This year I have a Robin nesting on top of the AC outside this window where I sit at my computer.

Do any of you feed Grape Jelly to the Orioles. They love it. Here is a picture of my Oriole Feeder. Has two recessed cups I can fill with the jelly and two pegs for the Oranges...

Deann

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Darn.....Hit send instead of browse before I could post the picture....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Deann

Thumbnail by deann
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Deann good morning !!! I'v been feeding them grape jelly for years I think they like it bettter than oranges have a great day
Gloria

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Morning Gloria

Hey Glens Market had Smuckers 32 oz jar of Grape Jelly on sale last week for $1.19........needless to say I bought 12 of them.

Deann

Thumbnail by deann
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I made a feeder a couple years ago for the orioles that had sticks for oranges and a bowl for grape jelly. They ignored the oranges.

The grape jelly is a big hit with them. They will even bring their young to feed from the bowl.

This year when I put it out, I felt that I should put some orange on it to attract them. But within an hour, they were in feeding. Do they remember from last year?

The last couple years we had 2 nesting couples. I am hoping for more this year. I will post the picture of one of the new nests soon.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i feed them all flavors of jelly-the cardinals love it too!!!
Cardinals like the oranges too!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

darn, i keep forgetting to put out hummer food. i keep seeing them. i better get after feeding them or they are going to go somewhere else.

erika

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

All of ours are back...since..the 5th...I keep tract too...they were a wee bit early...this year..Grape jelly...lmmmmm oranges are so costly might have to look into that...How do you keep the tree rats away? What a pain they are for sure.. smiles..Diana...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.