Swap Chat III Ric & Holly's

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The swapping is fast and exciting thought I would give you all another area for chatting and swapping.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I haven't had much of a chance to post my wants yet. Things (non-gardening things) are keeping me pretty busy. But I am getting more and more excited as the day gets closer.
Ruby, I would like more of your Daylilies and I would like some of the BeeBalm
I'm looking for plants for my Veggie Patch. I have quite a few pepper plants to trade, NisiNJ I think you mentioned strawberries and watermelon I would love some of those.
Critter, I know you have some tomatoes for me.
Got to run now but I will be back and try to get my trades more organized.
Oh almost forgot, will add this to my have list later. I have several Ornamental Plum Seedlings about 1-2ft tall.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Woohooo, a new thread! :-) This swap is going over the top. :-)

I'm going to post a link to this thread on the "lists" thread for swapping.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Lord - give me the attention span to keep up...ugh. Sure when the times draws nearer we can all "finalize" so that "we" (read: ME) don't forget anyone...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

rubyw and wind I did note your requests and will take a look at your offerings altho I don't "need" ANYTHING!!!

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thanks so much Sally :)
...and we don't "need" anything either!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Guess I should also post a link here to the have/want lists thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/973418/

Holly, I got you on the tomatoes... check my post on the lists thread to make sure I got you down for the right varieties (or LMK what slicers you want.. defaults are probably Wisconsin 55 (red) and Potato Top (pink), since I have several extras of both).

Sad to say, I was a day late in watering my basil seedlings, and lost a bunch of little ones. I'll still have some extras to bring, and I can also bring seeds (including whatever didn't sell on Marketplace from those bulk packs of Blue Spice, Thai Siam Queen, Serata (green ruffled) and Purple Ruffles.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Critter, Was running all day and got home just in time to babysit JR. He's a card shark, beat both Ric and I at Fish and War. Going to try and get one more coat of paint on the cabinets and craw into bed.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here's a great chart I found for dividing perennials
http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/extras/pdf/60dividing.pdf

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Critter:
Have you down too for the cornelian cherry...for any reason I cannot come, I will mail it out to you.
LuAnne

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Kubileya - if you have any cuttings to spare from your tropicals I'd much appreciate it ^_^

NisiNJ - I'd love any of your annuals that you can't find a trade for ^_^

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thanks Jen... I like that chart

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I've have a bit more on my wish list.
Critter, Any of the slicers will be fine with me. A couple of your crooked willow cuttings, I would like one and Vickie(neighbor with the black pussy willow)
Kubileya, I would like Abutilon (gold dust) and Winged Beauty Vine if you have any left, please.
Sally I'll take any dogwoods that no one else wants. Also some Siberian Iris and Mexican Oregano (if there is any left)
Bec, My DIL would like some Rose of Sharon
NisiNJ, I also like to add a sweet banana pepper and the marigold aurora fire. I have some Sweet Cream Marigolds if you would like some of those.
Miatablu, I will have some OSP Margaritas (if I can get these dang spider mites under control)

Jasmine, I'd like some jasmine especially a hardy to Zone 6 if anyone has one.

This message was edited Apr 24, 2009 6:49 AM

Crozet, VA

Howdy All - I am with Critter and think that this is going to be a rather well attended swap. You are picking up all sorts of Pennsylvania folks that haven't come to any of the Virginia ones. It will be nice to meet those folks.

Holly, do you have any prefernce on what Day Lilies that we bring for you? It won't be a problem to bring you one of each, if you'd like to have them. Let me know. I would like to request some OSP from you, if you have plenty. The ones that you shared with me last year did a bang up job in looking pretty. I hope to have the same luck again.

Someone mentioned that Sally had Dogwoods. If you have plenty Sally, I would love to have a couple of them.

Yep, the thread is really taking off now. Excitement is in the air.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Ruby

Good morning :) I just reread the last thread and noticed a few things I didn't see before

Ruby did you see my request for Best Beau and Marionette? I don't mind trying to root you some sweet autumn. And, I'll see if I can root some for Jen too. Sometimes a plant just arrives nearby from seed. I'll look around for you both.

Gita, if you still have any begonia angel wings I would love to trade something with you for a few. My neighbor got me hooked on them :)

Critter, do you still have any cherries - either black choc.cherry or sungold? I've really been wanting a cherry tree for the birds, mainly to attract orioles.

LadyG, you can save the sedona coleus for someone else because I forgot all about you having it and I went and purchased a small plant the other day! I completely forgot =/ thank you though.

Crozet, VA

Hi Wind - Yes, I saw your Day Lily request and noted it. Sorry if I didn't respond to you.

Closer to the swap I will try to do a post including what everyone has requested and what all I have requested from everyone else.

I have a question for all of those who tend to give away a lot of plants. Do the plants tend to do better if they are dug a day or two before the swap or should they be dug now and have a month to become established in a pot before giving to recipient?

John and I have conflicting views on it and I will do whatever the majority here says to do. Thanks folks.

Ruby

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

If you're going to pot them up, you can do it any time... sooner is probably better, although this year because of schedule issues I'll be doing nearly everything the day before except for a few that overwintered in pots.

If you're digging & bagging divisions, then that's better to do closer to the date so the roots stay nice & moist (I often add some rehydrated moisture crystals & moist paper towel around the root ball before tying it up).

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

wind,

I have piles and piles of the Angel Wing Begonias...like 12 pots! Put your name down. I also have oodles of rooted Spider Plants....

Ruby--in my opinion. I think plants do better if they have been dug up and potted way before the Swap.....That way you can dig--and plant immediately in a pot, and not have the plant be out for over a day in who knows WHAT conditions.

Here's a picture of my Mama plant last Fall.....I will be re-potting it when I put it out--soon.
I repot it about every 3 years..throw out all the old roots and replant the nice, growing ones in fresh soil....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill--we cross-posted.....:o)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Good point, Gita. I'm going to try to get at a few things this weekend to pot them up, but I may be bagging more than usual this year.

Nice thing about potting (if you have time) is that there's less rush at the other end to do anything with the plant other than watering it when you get home.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ruby, My favorites are Happy Returns, Best Beau & Ruffled Apricot.
I expect to have some OSP but I am having spider mite issues with them. I do have some nice looking coleus coming along. So of these will be up for grabs.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, I'll take some of those Angel Wing's, please

Here is a pic of my Ornamental Plum, in flower. It's a nice small tree for the right spot. My daughters is just beautiful mine doesn't do well in our clay soil. It is pretty with the dark burgundy leaves and pinkish flowers.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Holly, that's lovely! I was checking out some little ones at Home Depot last weekend, but I think I've got enough to-do's on my garden list at the moment... will be adding one in the future, I think! Oooh, wait, you said you had seedlings... Yes, please! I think I got one from you another time, just a baby, but it got shocky and didn't make it through the winter. If you don't want to entrust another to my "tender" care, that's OK. :-)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Critter, HA, I loose tree seedlings all the time. Mostly rabbits as I forget to put a cage around them or Ric mows them. LOL I have several of them. I'll dig them up and pot them this week.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

If anybody wants some little wild cherry seedlings or mimosa seedlings, LMK... I have them here like weeds, and usually a couple of them escape being pulled for a year or two... LOL

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I still have some soccer ball size bushel gourds and a few big birdhouse gourds from last fall, all dry if somebody wants to craft them. I could be persueded PERSUADED to cut the correct size hole for you. You need to use a hole saw kind of bit, not a spade. House wrens will use these readily which may or may not be a good thing (I have an article about that)

(persueded--LOL--I never used to do things like that)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh Sally you are singing my song. LOL You don't have to cut holes in them, not sure if I will do birdhouses or something else. I've seen some very pretty gourds that were stained instead of painted. One was a big red apple another was a yellow pear.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Critter, I'd love to have the mimosa but have no where to plant it. If you don't have any takers for the cherries I could put them back along the hedge row. Bet the birds would love them.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'll see if I can find you some little cherries... they're the ordinary wild ones, and yes the birds love them... in the interests fo full disclosure I should tell you the birds eat them and then leave purple splashes on your car, your deck... LOL

Hi Critter I posted this earlier, you may have missed it...I wanted to ask you if you still have any black choc.cherry or sungold? I've really been wanting a cherry tree for the birds, mainly to attract orioles :) I'm guessing the wild types get really tall...would they grow up against pine trees?

Gita, luv the pix of your mama dragon wing, it looks very well cared for :) we've never had the kind with the spotted leaves before.

Lovely coleus babies HollyAnn, are they just a mix or are they specific types?

Sally, I was wondering...how do you hang a birdhouse gourd?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Depending on how the seedlings do, yes, I should have extra black (black cherry or chocolate cherry) and yellow (sungold & Dr. C) cherry tomato plants. I'll make a note on my "lists" post. :-)

Um... you mentioned cherry trees in the same breath. The above are cherry tomatoes. :-) I'll look to see if I have any little wild cherry seedlings that look diggable... there are tons of bitty ones as always, but if I can find a couple that I "missed" I can try to dig them... otherwise, please remind me near the end of summer, and I'll find some to tag for removal when they go dormant in fall (probably a better time to dig & plant than now, although they should be OK in a pot over the summer).

oh....I was thinking they were cherry trees....oops sorry. I have two cherry tomatoes growing from the seeds you sent me in the swap :) I was thinking the cherry tree I've had my eye on was called sungold...now I can't remember the name without looking it up.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sorry, the only cherry seedlings I have are the wild ones that pop up all over, courtesy of the birds.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

wind,

I have had this DW Beg. for at least 25 years! Endlessly propagated from cuttings....

In the house, during the winter, it grows tall canes and loses a lot of the leaves. That's OK--as ALL I ever want are the top 8" or so of all the stems. The middle part of the stems gets cut out and tossed. The plant is now, basically, cut back to tall "nubs"...
I root the tips in water and then plant them in pots to share.....

The re potted Mama plant regrows beautifully. As for the blooming--it is the tips that bloom the best--so the plant that is re-growing will bloom only towards the end of summer....
IF you never cut it back at all--I guess you would get more blooms, but the plant would look crappy.
And--as i said--every 3 years, I dump the plant out after i have cut it back, sort through the roots, and re pot the good ones in fresh soil. it really takes off after that....

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Critter, You feed the birds, give them water and a place to bathe and how do they repay you?????????
Wind, They came as very small mixed coleus plugs. Someone at the swap (not me) might be able to ID them, I hope. LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ROFL

I also get birdsong, morning & evening especially. And nests & fledglings to watch. And entertainment right by the window, although I'm not sure if it's more fun watching the birds at the feeder or watching Eliot watching the birds (kitty TV!). He's taken to pouncing at the new window feeder in the family room. Thump! against the window, the birds flutter away (only about 3 feet now; they're used to him)... LOL

Thanks Gita, I was wondering what it looked like during the winter and how you cared for it. I'll do the same with your baby, if I'm as lucky. I gave up on bringing in the whole pots of our regular dragon wings because they got so messy. I never thought to cut them down to "nubs". I usually do take in a few cuttings. Our cat, Snoops, loves to eat the blooms! Those and African violets, so I keep them in a closed off room.

Ruby and Jen guess what? I spotted two baby swt. autumns outside, so I'll pot them up for you both :) It is a spectacular clematis for us here. It can be a monster though if it doesn't have room to climb on something. I cut ours back hard early spring and it rebounds with gusto up a trellis to our upstairs small balcony - then spills over at the top, really beautiful fall bloomer.

Also, I added amaranth hot biscuits and green tails (plus some seeds) to my list if anyone is interested. I'll be updating with more too as I start potting up and dividing seedlings.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hope i am not "hijacking" this thread--but i want to show wind and Holly a couple more photos of the AW Begonia.....

This is what Mama looks like all cut back. You can see that some of the "nubs" are not all that fresh any more....if I were repotting it--those would go!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

You can really see why it is also called "Cane Begonia"....Looks just like a bamboo cane....

Here is the Mama all regrown--same season.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here are the rooted tips well on their way to becoming a nice plant. I think the pot is an 8" pot.....
I keep the big one on my front steps--where there is almost no direct sun at all. Seems to like it there....If it gets too much, or any, direct sun, the leaves tend to sunburn a bit and turn a bit reddish....No harm to the plant as far as i can tell......

These were from 2006.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.