Help with selecting fruit tree varieties

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Later this week I hope to buy 4 or 5 container fruit trees to supplement my beginner home orchard. I have about 1 acre and so far I have 1 peach, 1 plum, 2 Montmorency cherries and an apple in the ground for 2 years.
About 500 yards away I want to try a pear, another type of cherry, another apple and plum. I'm open to suggestions. My preference is low maintenance organic approach. (Is that a contradiction?) I'd like to get them in the ground ASAP, so I'll have to make do with what's available from my local nursery rather than mail order. Any and all suggestions ad ideas appreciated. Thanks.

New Iberia, LA

Blueberry, fig, persimmon and loquat are all low maintenance.
Oldude

Thanks for your prompt response. I already have a dozen decade old blueberry bushes that produce well. Here in the far reaches of North Georgia, figs would have to be overwintered inside. Not sure about persimmons, there are plenty of native ones loaded with fruit every year. Guess I should have been more specific, I'm interested in feedback on varieties of pears, apples, peaches and cherries that do well for home gardeners. Good for fresh eating and storage. I don't plan to do endless cases of canned applesauce. Information on low or no spray varieties and which trees need two and which are self pollinating.
Thanks Oldude, I'll keep in mind your suggestions.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Be sure you have what you need for cross pollination. Apples I know need two different varieties in order to produce fruit. Some fruits are self pollinating, but that is usually provided in the tree description.

Anna, IL

If you have a European plum you will need another for pollination. The most low maintenance plum I grow is a Shiro Asian plum. Apples require 2 for pollination. They say Golden Delicious is one of the best for pollination. Peaches are mostly self pollinating. I like the taste of Fuji, Thompkins County King, Spitzenberg, and Braeburn apples best for eating out of my trees that are currently bearing. Fuji stores well as does Braeburn. For European plums I love Victoria which I ate in England. Mine is blooming for the first time this yr. Will see how it does in the US.
RED

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Imred, I believe it's the Japanese plums that need x-polllination. I have one Stanley and it bears every year all by itself.

Thanks very much everyone. Very helpful information. Later this week or next, when I get to the nursery, I'll make sure I get the information I need. And I'll continue to do some research. Rosemary

Anna, IL

LTilton
I think Stanley is one of the selfpollinating Euro plums. Many of them require a pollinator and almost all Asian plums need a pollinator. Here is a blurb I found on the net:
Pollination
Japanese and European varieties of plums do not cross-pollinate. European plums have been known to be self-fertile. Two different Japanese plum varieties will be needed to produce fruit.
Plum pollination chart (Excel spreadsheet)
I read through Raintrees descriptions and about half of their Europeans needed a pollinator.
RED

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Certainly it's best to check on this factor before investing in a tree of any variety. I am now wondering if my old (self-pollinating) Kieffer pear will pollinate my new Bartlett-type, which seems likely to bloom much later.

One reason I got a 4-in-1 Asian plum was for pollination.

Thank you all again. I do have a Stanley plum, just set out last year, bought at a box store. It bore me one very good plum. Tomorrow is my big shopping day. I will see what they have. When I was there on Monday I recall seeing one tree that was grafted with 4 different varieties. Maybe I'll give it a try.
I also found quite a few pineapple pears, and keifers and a few others. I will consult with the nurseryman before purchase. Thanks again.

Greensburg, PA

To throw a couple other names out there: Joel Bush cherry (fall fruiting), Cornelian cherry (fruiting dogwood - fall fruiting - zero maintenance) , Issai kiwi (self fertile, doesn't get as big a vine as other kiwis)

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Santa rosa and methley plums are self pollinators and are good producers. I have to say fruit trees tend to be very site specific. I would check with your local extension office.

Mail order check these guys out. http://www.johnsonnursery.com/Default.htm, they're in the garden watch dog. Same with this one. http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/Olives.htm

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

I received trees from Adams County Nursery in Aspers, PA this spring and was very surprised on the size and quality of the trees. I ordered 25 and all are doing well. The staff was very nice and asked me type of soil, drainage, ect and helped me pick trees that would be suitable for my area.
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/111/
http://www.acnursery.com/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.