Any Coco Grower Questions? PART 2

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Am I the only person in Dave's Garden who works for a living? I can't wait to be independently wealthy like my friends!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

lolol far from it.

Down to my last of 15 coir blocks...Going for the daylies.

Blooming today..Manx

Thumbnail by gardenglory
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Ah HA! Now I get it! Thanks Gymgirl for the explanation. Do I need to put some kind of wick in with the coir?

Johnson City, TN(Zone 6b)

The coir is the wick, ascholz. In this photo I used wire netting to hold the coir. I flipped this piece upside down and placed the coir in the wick and on the platform that this piece made. I only made one. I have true EBs and like them very much and I have Gymgirls ebuckets and gro bags.
This was just an experiment and it works fine, but the conainer is so big that there is an actual waste of coir since the roots don't need that deep a system. Still, it was fun. D

Thumbnail by Devota

gardenglory, is that daylily a hybrid? a double? Its a beauty!

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

Gymgirl, I work at a garden center, so for me it's a case of 'the cobbler's children have no shoes'-I can get lots of supplies there, but I don't have nearly enough time to devote to my own plants & sometimes after lugging, weeding, & watering all day, I just don't feel like continuing at home. Most of the time, I really like it, though.

I even remember my boss asking me about coir last year, telling me how the compressed block expands, & she asked, 'do you think people would buy this?' I answered that I would, & now I have this forum to help expand my knowledge of coir growing. I'm also known as an earthbox evangelist at work, I think they're a great product & I don't hesitate to tell customers about the benefits. I'm on my way in right now (had a doctor's appt. this morning), it's so hot right now, we are watering constantly....

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Does anyone know how many zucchini plants can be planted in one of the Lay Flat Coco Coir grow bags?

How many zucchini plants? WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? LOL

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Did I miss something somewhere?

Sorry..I guess it does sound strange...When I plant 2 zucchinis they make so many so fast I can't use tem all and the neighbors run when hey see me coming with my arms full. Didn't mean to laugh. It is just that my experience is limited to zucchini monster plants.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Oh, ok. After I saw your post, I was re-scrolling thru both threads to see if there was something I missed ^_^. . . I've never grown zucchini before, but did receive seeds in a recent swap. I have something like 5-6 seedlings that should probably be planted soon. Since I'm doing alot of gardening in my mothers back yard (she has a huge empty patio), I figured the lay flat bags would be a good thing. Sounds like I should get 2 of them, though!

Lake Elsinore, CA

Hi Syrumani

I've not grown zucchini in the lay flat grow bags, but I am going to grow one plant in a 5 gallon growbag. They get really big, mine last year were about 3 feet across and more than a couple of feet tall. So, I would consider the size of the plant in order to figure that out and if it were me and I had a lay flat growbag, I'd probably plant one in one end and one in the other of the lay flat bag and give them plenty of room to grow in width. Crowding them, I found, even in my dry climate allows them to get moldy and yucky, space and air circulation is important to them, in my experience. But it's not that vast and maybe someone else will come in here who knows more.

Also, make sure you have enough bees around because mine didn't pollinate well last year and I only got one tiny squash off mine, the rest aborted on the vine.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

3 feet across for one plant?!? I guess it's good I like zucchini! Maybe I'll do the grow bags instead, since I've got those already.

Thanks for the input. It is all appreciated! ^_^

My mothers backyard has climbing roses, misc. other flowers, and a mess-load of giant pink poppies. When she moved in last month, there were hundreds of pink blooms both in the garden as well as the middle of the grass . . . I can't imagine with all those flowers there wouldn't be even more than the 2-3 bees I've seen there so far.

Glendale/Parks, AZ

Pugz out here in the wild wild west we hand pollinate squash. Easy to do and very effective. Just get the male flower together with the female flower and start a little mattress dance.

(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

rtl850, ROTFLMAO, you are too funny! Say this real fast..."brown chicken brown cow" for background music

Lake Elsinore, CA

rtl, I've already been reading up and researching in regards to playing doctor with the squash blossoms.

That's ok, though, the neighbors already saw me outside at my 12 inch stackers with a turkey baster. (I was syphoning up liquid fert. that ran through the stackers and basting it into the top stackers.)

Surely nothing could surprise them now.

Lake Elsinore, CA

Oh, I almost forget, anyone want a rabbit? I've got one over here, it's having a virtual salad bar out of my growbag/container garden. Ordered liquid fence today.

He decimated my baby bok choy that was just about ready to pick. I don't like him.

Where is your crossbow Linda? A rabbit has to be a bigger target than a gopher. Teeheehee

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I've heard rabbit makes a good stew.

D,
You've got dmail.

Hossenpheffer, [rabbit stew]

Um, I actually do own a 70 lb. bow. Always wanted to try those razor tips.

Ya'll watch yah backs, yah here? Gives new meaning to the phrase, "got a target on my butt."

Only if you're a coir sniffin rabbit Gg

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

OK, I'm kinda new here & don't know all the rules, or how old ya'll are...but this immediately came to mind: Elmer Fudd & "Kill the Wabbit" - the short version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxiv3CBMS4M

(Warning: That song will haunt you for DAYS!)

This message was edited Apr 28, 2009 6:42 PM

(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL, good one Denise!

Oh yeah, Denise. Old enough to "kill da wabbit."

Lake Elsinore, CA

It's been a rough couple of days. The Wabbit is back each night, eating...
I do have a few crossbows, one you can even use to fish with. But the compound bow is only 30 lbs. GymGirl if you can pull back a 70 lb bow, remind me to start runnin' when you come gunnin'. You can kill a grizzly bear with the razor tips with that bow.

Moved all the squash plants into the back where the Wabbit can't go. (Sure couldn't do that if it were in the ground. LOL!)

I gave up and just let him have the lettuce and bok choy, but he can't have my stuff that produces all season, like cukes, beans and squash.

Oh and the good news is I've got tomatoes popping out all over the plants. Especially the 4th of Julys, they're really looking like they'll be very prolific.

Well, off to move more plants. The year of the pests, it looks like it's going to be.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

This is what I was working on and have been very business working all day. The white bags are my Dinnerplate Dahlias and Peruvian Daffodils along with two Cherub Brugmansia and of course some of my roses. I hooked up an irrigation system (BocaBobs) so each plant will recieve adequate water. Less work for me.
By the way ! The three Don Juans along the back fence ? The one in the middle is at least two years old planted in Jungle Growth while the two at either end are planted in coco coir and they are less than one year old. The coir growth is remarkable.

This message was edited May 3, 2009 6:25 PM

Thumbnail by Tplant

This is what it looked like originally. Just a cluster of palm trees.

Thumbnail by Tplant

Still not finished as I have more roses to bring forward from my back garden which will be placed along the fence. My plants have been neglected because of the construction dust and my bronchitis keeping me inside for two months. You would not believe the weeds that I had to clear out of all my plants that is why they look kind of raggedy!

This message was edited May 3, 2009 6:29 PM

Your garden is a delight. All gardens are in some stage of change, why not yours. Good to see it coming along. D

Galien, MI

slightly confused. I'm reading that coir is fast draining, then I'm reading that coir is good wicking. I have one homemade E-barrel, and one bottomless barrel used as a raised bed. Which do you think the block of coir I got would be best used in? I know you add the limestone to peat, but why add it to the coir since it has a more neutral pH anyway? What would you recommend I add to the coir if put in that E-barrel, and what would you add differently if you used the coir in the barrel bed?

I tried reading through all the posts, but my head was starting to hurt after a while, so just decided to ask.
Thanks.

Coir looks like wet coffee grinds after you hydrate it. Once you hydrate it from dry, it holds moisture like wet, spongy, grape nuts. But -- it lets any additional moisture it can't absorb drain through - and it drains through quickly. Hope this helps.

Kerrville, TX

Geezzz, Gymgirl, your mind dont stray very far from something to drink or eat does it? Coffee grounds, grapenuts? Hmmm.......now you got me thinking coir might be pretty good with some real cow type whipped cream and cane sugar over it. And the fiber is good for you too. Hmmmmm?

I'm a visual learner.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I recently planted some hanging baskets with coco coir and I've only had to water them about every 3 days or so. In my climate that's amazin! I think I love this stuff! I'm sure when the 90+ temps hit I'll have to water more but for now... :-)

PS sorry to jump in...just wanted to share :-/

This message was edited May 7, 2009 5:56 PM

um, we know you're just excited 'cause YOU WON THE STACKERS!!!!! um, sorry....

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

wow, she reads between lines too! YES I AM!

The coir can be used the same way you would use container mix.

Plano, TX

i've been reading this thread and like someone said earlier-my head is spinning and so i am going to ask things that most likely have already been answered but hopefully some kind hearted person will take time to go over it again
choir--i think i get a sense of what it is but where do i buy it? expensive? and do i use it alone or add to soil? it is light weight?
here is what i want to consider it for
to grow tomatoes in a large pot on the patio-do i just fill, hydrate and put in plant and then fertilize as needed?
and as for the grow bags in pics posted--what are they? where to get them?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.