Need some help/suggestions

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

Here is our front bed. We are taking out the sago palms and the ligustrums. The small bushes that you can't really see because of the sago palms are dwarf yaupons.

Basically, everything is coming out of the bed against the house. From the red line over to the driveway is going to be a walkway. A flowerbed will wrap the yard side of the walkway with short plants.

Some one had suggested to me to put a lattice in the center. It would cover the bricks between the two windows and likely one section of the grid on each of the windows (kind of where the red box is). It would sit slightly off the house. I am considering planting morning glories and moonflowers to grow on it if I go with the lattice.

So my question is anyone ever put a lattice in front of windows like that? On each side of the lattice, I was thinking of a Red Double Knock Out rose and then in front of it on each side, leaving one dwarf Yaupon. In front of the lattice, I was considering a group of Louisiana Iris, some large mums and small daylilies like Stellas for the from border.

I welcome all opinions. These plants are coming out, but we can put in another hedge type plant, etc. I want the bones of the bed to be evergreen so we don't have huge holes in the winter. BTW, this is a partial sun situation. The sun goes over our house from right to left.

Thanks.

Thumbnail by shuggins
This thread has 26 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!