Ongoing quest for positive id

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

On the left is my noid.

On the right is 'Sunset sky'.

I've been on a quest to properly id my noid, and really thought I had researched and found my match. The pictures seemed to match, the descriptions seemed to match. I was convinced that ordering some 'Sunset sky' to grow along side them, was merely a formality...the blooming stalks even popped up at the very same time...I was ready to tag them. :0)

...and then they bloomed...

Now they are even blooming at the same time, but there is one tiny difference...all of the sunset sky are smaller. Not just smaller in overall size, but the standards are smaller than the falls. while the noid has equally sized standards and falls. I thought maybe it was just something about the first blooms, so waited for more, and they are all opening like this.

This just solidifies how important it is to grow your noid next to a known iris, to be sure. I am now SURE that my noid is NOT sunset sky! lol...

My only other guess is enchanted one, but I have that one, too, and the yellow is not the same yellow, and also they did not bloom at the same time this year.

Oh, well. guess it will stay marked 'Sandras' noid" for the lady that gave them to me ;0)

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX

another side by side

noid on left, sunset sky on right

I must have an affinity for the same types of colors, because just realized that 'Tink' (on the right) is almost identical, except reverse of colors

Tink is a cutie pie(I think)

Tomah, WI

Are iris like daylilies, in that it can take a couple of seasons for them to reach their full size? Just wondering, since the coloring looks soooo similar. (Just newbie thoughts.) I am sure you will get some answers from the experts. They are always so helpful.

very eastery colors :0)

mattsmom-
I don't know about that...

but these were both received and planted about the same time last year,and have been both growing in identical soil,and both are in pots. I tried to make everything the same so there would be no doubts.

Yes, the coloring is identical! I was so ready to tag these!...same gold border, same hafts, everything...but not same size, which is always hard to tell in photographs...

Lebanon, OR

Thank YOU, Thank YOU Seedpicker for proving a big point, there are so many iris out there that looks like another and to ID from photo is ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE for sure. The only way that I might open my mouth is simple you ordered 25 iris from a grower, and somehow you lost the tags all faded and as they bloom you beleive you have it figured it. Then you have a fighting chance but from a picture to ID is almost impossible. I still have some of my own that are beautiful but they are labelled NOID with a number! That way if people are still wanting it and want a named one they get NOID #4 and that is what they get a lovely iris with no name.

Yes it would be wonderful if you could ID from photo;s but look at plantfiles you will see how different they are they from different locations as well as some errors.

Again thank you for sharing your experience.

D

Dee-
You are so very welcome.
I'm almost positive it was YOU that suggested it ;0)

So, now you know your advice "did not fall on deaf ears". I took your advice and glad I did.

I love having a historic, but if I were to tell everyone to get sunset sky, when they admired my noid, they might just be disappointed. The noid is a brighter yellow,and has a stronger scent. Plus, it is a bigger bloom!

At least now I can say "if you want one similar to it...you can order sunset sky, or enchanted one" :0)

Lebanon, OR

Yup so often the difference is like marking on the haft so up close to the beard you do not see in a photo, or the height (which can be different anyways by location).

How people can label these NOID iris either NOID or say it was given by your AUNT SALLY, then that would be OK too.

Today more and more people want to try, as they should, to hybridize and see the entire thing we go thru...as right now I have a seedling that to LOOK at it they are the same...BUT once you tear it apart it IS NOT alike at all. But a photo would say it is..

D

Thank you again Seedpicker

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.