Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Ongoing quest for positive id, 1 by seedpicker_TX

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright seedpicker_TX

Subject: Ongoing quest for positive id

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Ongoing quest for positive id
seedpicker_TX wrote:
On the left is my noid.

On the right is 'Sunset sky'.

I've been on a quest to properly id my noid, and really thought I had researched and found my match. The pictures seemed to match, the descriptions seemed to match. I was convinced that ordering some 'Sunset sky' to grow along side them, was merely a formality...the blooming stalks even popped up at the very same time...I was ready to tag them. :0)

...and then they bloomed...

Now they are even blooming at the same time, but there is one tiny difference...all of the sunset sky are smaller. Not just smaller in overall size, but the standards are smaller than the falls. while the noid has equally sized standards and falls. I thought maybe it was just something about the first blooms, so waited for more, and they are all opening like this.

This just solidifies how important it is to grow your noid next to a known iris, to be sure. I am now SURE that my noid is NOT sunset sky! lol...

My only other guess is enchanted one, but I have that one, too, and the yellow is not the same yellow, and also they did not bloom at the same time this year.

Oh, well. guess it will stay marked 'Sandras' noid" for the lady that gave them to me ;0)