Rejuvenating a raspberry patch?

Alfred Station, NY(Zone 5b)

This is our raspberry patch, such as it is. We bought this property in the fall of 2007, and didn't do anything with the raspberries last summer, except eat them. It was a bit wet for them last year and a lot molded on the canes. Anyway, it may be hard to tell from the photo, but the patch is probably 8 feet thick and it's impossible to pick very far into it, unless you like bleeding a lot (or you're a bear).

What if anything can be done? I was thinking of basically cutting a swath through the length, so that we would have two rows, and cleaning up around the edges just for neatness.

Thumbnail by gallesfarm

bump.... any thoughts?

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

I think that sounds like a good idea. If you wanted to save them just dig up the plants and start a 3rd row. You can never have too many raspberries! LOVE THEM! My patch of raspberries is finally taking off this year and I can't wait for berries!

Good luck with yours!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I agree... dig a swath, and/or dig up plants and start a new row. They DO need lots of good air circulation. I keep my rows no more than 2' wide, and a 3' walkway between them for air movement, and so I can pick them easier. Here's the trellis I made, but since then I have added a second one, and replaced the green vinyl-coated clothesline wire with a vinyl-coated cable that really does NOT stretch.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1433/

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.