TEA ROMM # 36

Merino, Australia

I just had to sit down before I put out anything to eat. It was a long walk this morning.
I think today will be a fine day here again. It;s cold but no wind . I may get a bit more moving of pot plants done later.
Chrissy, the mystery Angel is starting to open. It is opening white so will be interesting to see if it has any color.
I see my anemones and ranuncs are all pushing their way up through the concrete soil. Strong little things aren't they ? Amzing how they can break through when I have to use a crowbar to make a hole.
I must get back and change the signpost so people don't go down the wrong path..
Jean

Sorry about the mistake in the heading , but I'm sure everyone will sitll find us. We are still a Room not a Romm.
granny moment again.

This message was edited Apr 20, 2009 8:41 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset
western sydney nsw, Australia

Good morning to all,
Gee its nice here .
My snake plant is like motherinlaw tongue the tage says it is Sansevieria Superba hybrid =superba . will this one flower I only bought it Sat and when I repoted I took the Baby off here they are mum and baby smiling happy to have more room in bigger pot.---------Sammut

Thumbnail by sammut
Merino, Australia

Hello Sammut. Your plant is the one I know as the snake plant or mother in laws tongue but as with a lot of other plants , there are local names for different plants. The ones Steve and kat were talking about are very different.
I have not see a flower on your type but then someone else may have.
I have had them in gardens over the years and never seen them have any sort of flower. I think they do flower sometimes . They make a nice clump and have always been in a lot of old gardens. Have a look at the different ones in Plant files.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/431/
Jean.

townsville, Australia

Good morning all, its Monday BLAH, oh well it is a nice day and i will get over it lol.
Jean, me cheeky, well maybe a little in my youth lol, i am not a jamie fan, but i must admit i did enjoy manpower they put on a great show lol.
I went plant shopping on the weekend and bought a couple of different gardenias, i have decided to try and grow them as the flower is so pretty, some lilly pillys, 4 crows nests, 2 of them have crincled leaves i really liked them and a few others, i ran out of time to plant will try some afternoons this week after work. i will eventually take some photos, when it does not look like a disaster area lol.
Brian that cactus is amazing, i have never seen anything like it.
Sammut 1 plant you must have had a bad day lol, how is your carport going.
Steve sorry the cowboys beat the sharks on the weekend, well only a very little, i needed the points i am have a much better tipping weekend, i have only lost 1, i knew i should not have picked the rabbits.
Kat i would have moved to Alice Springs after that ordeal, as far from the water as possible, i don't blame you i would never go out again either, after that nightmare.
cody the ducks are just so cute, but i definately do not want one i don't have the room, or the time to look after any animals apart from the cats, great pets they look after them selves. My daughter in law bought me a great fridge magnet on the weekend, it reads

Call a dog and he will come
Cats will take a message and get back to you

I thought it was very apt.
Well i best go and do some work, have a wonderful day one and all,
stay safe and smile
shell

Thumbnail by shelly61
Brisbane, Australia

Dogs have masters, cats have staff.

townsville, Australia

Leisa this is very true lol.

se qld, Australia

Mother-in law's tongues do flower Sammut. I'm not sure, but it's quite possible that is dependant upon climate though. I'd never seen them flowering before moving to a subtropical climate though. They're stems of tiny white flowers with quite a pleasant fragrance.

Thanks Jean with a lot of luck it just very big might bloom in about 10 yrs. better not hold my breath waiting or I wont see it happen .
Next I am going to start indoors plants in my garage I use it as a out doors room in winter there is a few things I can put plants around mainly there is a frigs. stove, freezer ,day bed. twin washing machine Ihave put a wood on top and made a small 2 person table this will keep me busy the next 2 weeks . going out now to plan it out. here is pics. of the new chain fence in the yard I done yesterday morning.----------sammut

Thumbnail by sammut

Thanks gardengal thates some thing to look forward to.-----Sammut

Gisborne, New Zealand

Hi Jean, Thanks for the short walk, now a cuppa would be just the story. I thought a few weeks ago I was back into the swing of things.
That lasted 2 whole days, then back into hosp. Am back home again and pleased to see everone is humming along nicely and the gardens are looking good with all sorts of new goodies popping up.. My own garden is colourful but in need of a lot of cutting back and tidying up. What have survived have done so with good grace and I have had the odd very nice surprise. The biggest disappointment has been my angels they didn,t like the neglect and only the apricot one has flowered consistantly all summer. By next season they should be well acclimatised and should do much better. Very few photos have been taken but I am sure it won,t be long before I rectify that as well.. I haven,t bought a plant in 2 months so will have to fix that as well. Was a good start yesterday I got 4 bags of potting mix so cant leave those for too long.. Today is very cool and wet, the first good rain we have had in weeks. Unlike the pics Sue has she seems to be back in the lake district again, I don,t think we will get that much water.. It is just great to catch up again...
Lesley

Thumbnail by Awchid
townsville, Australia

Sammut you are going to have to slow down and admire what you have done, by the way love the fence, my mum goes mad at me all the time, and keeps on telling me "what is the point of doing all this gardening if you don't take time out to actually enjoy it", i have informed her that i will take the time to enjoy it when it is finally finished, at the rate i am going 2015 lol. as much as i dislike an instant garden sometimes the thought appeals lol.
Lesley i don't think we have ever spoken, Hi, by the way great name, Lesley is my eldest daughters name, so of course i think it is a great name lol. Is that a begonia, it is beautiful a wonderful colour.
well i had better get back to it lunch is over.
have a great evening all
shell

Coushatta, LA

Hi Shell thanks,well Rob is talking about getting 10 geese this week.Well i guess we have our own zoo now.We have rabbits,cats,dog,bird,ducks and geese this week.OH to much to handle.LOL!!!!!Well enjoy your day and take care.Stay safe.
By the way i made us a new dmail thread.The other one was getting long.LOL!!!

Your Friend Always,Cody

Hi Shell ,I enjoy the getting the out line on paper starting and seeing how far I can take the idea Then come back in a couple of weeks and try to improve things I do loss interest very quick and start looking where next I will work.
----------Sammut

Merino, Australia

Hello Lesley. I did miss you rummaging through the kitchen looking for nibbles. i hope you are on the mend now. You have a lot of plant buying to catch up on.
I think Sue knew what was coming there when she put that boat in her garden.
Sammut, you are a ball of energy, sit and relax out the back on the Tea Room patio. Have a cinnamon bun. I bought in few more as I knew they would go quickly. We had a nice afternoon out today. The weather was too perfect to sit home. We went to Portland to see the dahlias. Very disappointing there as it must have been a very bad year for them. Half the beds were nearly empty and what had grown was rather small. I took some photos anyway as the individual flowers were lovely. Better go and put them on a thread now. Have a nice rest of the day.
There is a row of these all about 15' high with even taller flower stems. They have spectacular burgundy flowers . I think they are flax or maybe some sort of cordyline.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
se qld, Australia

Gymea lilies Jean. They really are stunning when in flower. I'm off to look at some dahlias.

Wonthaggi, Australia

Hi Jean, Chrissy,Cody,Leslie (hope you are feeling better :), Sammut, Gardengal, Shelly & Kat. Goodness, I would move to Alice after all that adventure too!!
No gardening again today, but I have raided my friends garden.
Will take some pics for IDs tomorrow? Some sort of Native brown flycatcher flower thingy? Stayed tuned??
Yay, I'll be doing a market this Sunday with my friend. Lots of sorting to do tomorrow.
Agaves, Parrots, Crucifix orchids on fence paling bits, etc, etc,... Will show you all when they are done.
Leisa & shelly~ our cat, Ginger, who we all call "Chicken" (not sure why,? it's crazy in this house) has staff too!!
Have a great night all,
Helen

Thumbnail by helens5162
se qld, Australia

Haha Helen, what porky kitty he is!

Wonthaggi, Australia

Thank you Gardengal (tongue in cheek!Hahahah!)
Must be our love of Pizza!!! LOL!! Yes, my Chicken loves pizza. Well??Some people give their cats toast for Breakfast, Hahahha!!
Seriously tho, I don't overfeed her....
Helen

se qld, Australia

Oh Helen, our little dog's a little rounder than he should be too, but he's an incredibly fussy eater - it's totally beyond me why he's not skin and bone. Until we came accross this little fellow I was always under the impression that fussy eaters were not born, but made that way. He likes barbecued chicken, but usually only when it's hot and fresh. He'll rarely even eat it if it's reheated - drives me nuts at times.

Like your cat, though,he's rather partial to his tiny bit of pizza crust too.

Hi All .
whate is it about BBQ chichen and dogs My dog loves his BBQ chichen wont eat chichen cooked any other way every Sat, I buy him a chichen will eat it cold or heated he eats it all in 4 days ,not bad for a 10 yr.old little dog .-----Sammut.

Sydney, Australia

Thankfully Jean I found the new romm!
Thanks Kat and Jean for the ID on the Snake Plant.
It is an unusual plant. I asked my friend if I could take a seed pod off the leaf.
He said 'I don't know what those knobby things are on the leaf but this flower
on the ground has seeds'. A quick search says the knobby things may be corms
borne on the leaf? It's going to take some investigation. Anyway got some seed.
Busy tonight so got to run.
Cheers
Steve

Coushatta, LA

Hi Helen,hope your day is going good.It is muddy here,can't really plant any thing to wet and sloppy.Well enjoy your day and take care.

Cody

se qld, Australia

You're correct about the knobby things on the amorphophallus leaves Steve - they're tiny bulbils from which a new plant can easily be grown. Just gently twist them off the leaf and plant.

This message was edited Apr 20, 2009 4:16 PM

Good morning all you happy tea sippers ...I have missed everyone, my puter was busy with school holidays ...^_^
Never mind, look at all the things that have been happening.
Gee Lesley it is so good to see you back ...stay well and don't go rushing out there to catch up in the garden ...we don't want you back in the hospital.A big welcome home.
Jean ...I have to go investigate all the threads and find out what has been going on.
Someone mentioned Gymea lillies and I must say how beautiful they are ...they grew wild in my garden at Woronora (not far from Gymea) in between the rocky outcrops ...those flower spikes would be about 20ft high ...the birds loved them.
Sammut slow down before you fall down again ...
To everyone, a big wave until I catch up ...so much has been going on it may take a bit of reading by the look of it ...
chrissy

Coffs Harbour, Australia

That explains why I have snake plants popping up everywhere! I will take them off from now on, as I really don't need/ant any more!
Hello all. I am dropping in because its a new tea room and I can almost keep up! Its nice to see everyones faces, well, read them , well, you know what I mean?
Where is Chrissy? Is she well?
Is the same old, same old here. Rain e.t.c. I've been in the brom thread and flowering thread, but find it hard to keep up with all of them, so don't think I'm avoiding or ignoring anyone ok?
Well that my short and sweet visit. must go and get some breakfast!

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

huh, there you are!

Merino, Australia

Hello everyone. Sue, we know you are a busybee and have a lot to keep up with. It's always nice to see you pop in here. That breakfast made me hungry all over again. I only have cereal for breakfast. I would be as plump as those pets above if I ate all that.
It will be another lovely autumn day here . We do need lots of rain but these days are so nice.
Lesley, I hope you are resting and not going too mad yet in your garden.
Cody, enjoy your mud, at least you have some.Your ducks will like the wet. I am waiting for enough rain to make mud here. I will moan when it does though. Don't we all.
Thanks for the name of the Gymeas Gardengal. They are spectacular plants. I have seen the flowers on those I took the photos of. The stems hang over nearly to the ground. I looked for any seeds but I suppose it would take many years to get that big here. The Gardens at Portland have been there since the early 1800s. Being on the coast, it is milder than here , 50 miles inland.
Hello Sammut, Helen and all you other cat slaves. Roast chicken , Hhmmm. Sounds like our magpies. They live for a roast chicken carcase. I guess hubby would be a magpie slave. he jumps to their every wish.
I like cats but not here. I prefer dogs but again not here as it is too hard to keep them in the yard. Hubby likes the gate on the drive left open and as he is in and out all the time it is hard to confine a dog.
I have a job keeping the neighbours animals out anyway. Their dogs roam and their cats jump the fence. There were also some wandering ducks of theirs but I think they took the hint when I said they might get taken by foxes.
Must be related to Kats neighbours. No regard for anyone else.
Hello Chrissy. I am going out to look at the Angel flowers again. It is such fun watching the colors change.
I posted on the Angel thread about my finds yeasterday.
I will be looking at plants every time I go anywhere in case I find moreAngels.
I had better go and check on all the little darlings . I may even get domestic and do some washing .
Enjoy the day everyone and hello to all those I haven't mentioned.
I felt like a good old Chocolate Cake. Now share, everyone. No grabbing the biggest piece Kat.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Sue my dear ...I got a little surprise from you ...wow thankyou!
I see you are tucking into a lovely brekky there mmm.
I just popped in for a minute to say that my Congo parrots are starting to flower well ...and to remind everyone with cuttings from helen to ease off the water a little if your night temps have dipped ...they have here it is qite cool overnight already ...12C ish way early for this time of year ...it may herald an early cooler winter.
Back after I take some pics ...and thanks again sue ^_^

townsville, Australia

Good moring to all, well it is a beautiful day in paradise, much to nice to be stuck in here, but the mortgage has to be paid lol. Chicken is adorable, the way he is sleeping reminds me of my Miss Money Penny (the white princess a few photos back) Penny is a spoilt little miss that completely gets her own way, Leisa is right she has staff.
Jean no nibblies this morning how am i ever going to make it to lunch i may fade away lol.
Cody i hope your yard dries up soon and you can get the gate on for the ducks do you have your geese as yet.
My galah ( the one i dislike due to her mean streak) likes pasta and macca's, she got so fat at one stage she could not fly, so i had to put her on a strict diet of bird food, probably why she hates me. everyone used to give her a bit of junk food as she would screach the place down until she got her own way. But i had to put my foot down due to her obesity, she is allowed out and can fly when ever she wishes, but for the last umpteen years she has obviously chosen to stay. Oh well the vet has informed me since she lost the weight and is fit as a fiddle i will probably have her for another 70 years maybe i should start her on a junk food diet again lol. (i would not do that threaten yes, but do it no)
Welcome back Chrissy, you have been missed.
Buggar i have to go and do some work, have a great day all
Stay safe and smile
shell

townsville, Australia

Ahh thanks Jean there it is, looks good, have a great day

se qld, Australia

Shelly. my Granny had a galah which was about 18 months younger than my Mum. He passed away about 5 or 6 years ago. When my granny was living on Magnetic Island she had her mother come to visit for a while.

My Granny at that stage was running the post office at Arcadia. She came home one day after a downpour to find 'Uncle cocky' in the oven drying out after he'd been left out in the rain. rofl. He obviously hadn't been in for too long because he survived the experience.

townsville, Australia

ROFL!!!!! i am glad he survived

Wonthaggi, Australia

Hello Jean, Chrissy, Cody, Leisa Sue, Shellys, Sammut, Gardengal & the boys, of course!
I'm disappointed I didn't get as much done today as I'd hoped? Visitors, phonecalls & sorry, a trip to the Nursery, that couldn't be rushed, LOL!!!
Yes, as staff to 2 cats, I'm never lonely. We did have a Jack Russell, Charlie, that went to the kennel in the sky, 2 years ago, he was 14. Ex~ didn't like cats, so, out with the old? in with the new!LOL!!! Sorry, TMI?? Anyway, will show you some of what I've done today, ready for the market & ask for a plant ID.
Have a great evening all,
Helen

Thumbnail by helens5162
Wonthaggi, Australia

Sorry,pics sent in wrong order? Plany ID? Please, might be interesting, some sort of native maybe?
This pic is some of what's ready for the market.
Helen

Thumbnail by helens5162
Wonthaggi, Australia

Yes, sorry, "Plant" Id? I found the stash you tried to keep from me.
Nice white, Thank you...

se qld, Australia

I believe it's an Arisaema, Helen, but I can't find your leaf to narrow down which one it is.

Pam

Wonthaggi, Australia

Hi Pam,
Thanks, I'll find another pic?...might help?
Helen

Thumbnail by helens5162
Christchurch, New Zealand

Hello Lesley, good to see you back:)
I have been busy here - it was a cold but sunny ChCh day so I raked all the leaves off the drive.
They are now spread on various gardens as free mulch.
I mowed the lawns as well.
the front ones were covered in leaves so that went on the garden too.
I had some volunteer pansies coming up so transplanted some of them, soaked & planted a white ranunculus & two different blue anemones.
Now I just have to avoid accidentally digging them up before they sprout...
assuming they sprout.
I had to rush & get dinner started so missed taking pics of my lovely white camellia that appears to have appreciated not being pruned hard this year.
I have trimmed it most years to keep it lower than the fence but my neighbours actually said they were happy with it blocking the light to their kitchen as it ensured some privacy from the street.
Must get some photos as it is really pretty :)

Sydney, Australia

Hi all.
Sorry Shelly61. I did not ignore your comments re. how your team beat mine. I was still sulking at the time!
Have already given up on the Sharks this year. (did last year too and they came 3rd). Did you end up with 6 or 7 picks?

Our old Galah (his name is Cocky - naturally) got his mean streak after being fed a Vegemite sandwich.
It is anatomically hard for a bird to have facial expressions but he certainly showed his disgust!

We printed a job today for a Council on paper that is made with seeds impregnated in the pulp.
The seeds are Callistemon citrinus - Lemon Scented Bottlebrush.
You plant the card when you have finished with it.
I grabbed the waste if anyone wants to try it for a bit of fun. Just dmail me and I'll send a bit.
Steve

Coushatta, LA

Hi Jean,well it is drying quick here.It will be in the 80's today for the high.I hope you get rain soon.I hope you enjoy your day.

Hi Shell,we will have the gate on the pen today.We are going to get our Mallards this evening.Can't wait to get them home.Hope you have a bless day and i will talk to you tonight.Take care and stay safe.

Hi Helen,hope your day is going good.Love your plant there.Well hope you have a great day.

Hello to everyone else.

Thumbnail by TheAngelGirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.