Plants, puppies and a little bear

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Finally got some photos downloaded. Here's a new one of Jello, who is a big girl now.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

I've recently gotten into what are called thread crochet bears - tiny little animals made of the thread like you use to make doilies. I finished my first one, an Easter bear. You can see how small he is compared to the daffodils. He's actually not as small as most since I used heavier thread and larger hook but even so the stitches are so tiny.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Here he is again perched on top of a birdseed jar on my stove.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

I've been trying to get out into the yard to get photos for a couple of weeks but every day I've had time it was cloudy. The star magnolia is just about bloomed out but I got a couple of blooms this morning.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Most of the daffs are past their prime too but these are still pretty. Don't remember the name.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Rococco tulips are just starting to open. I love this color.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Jello loves to burrow under this throw on the sofa and go to sleep. Peekaboo.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Here she is with Gus and Tiger crashed out on the ottoman with their pile of blankies. "Put that d***** camera away!" LOL

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

The hellebores are still going strong.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

And the pulmonarias.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Redbuds

Thumbnail by hart
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ahhhh sweet Jello....love ALL these pics, Diane!! That bear is just so sweet - God help me...I'm so not skilled in any needle work

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

Cute images of the dogs -- love that bear!! Snug

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Thanks, guys. Jello looks like she's in a daze in that first photo. LOL

I just fell in love with the little thread crochet bears, Snug. I think the little lavender bear came out okay. I'm working on a bunny now.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Jello looks to me like she might start talking! What a cutie. I love that floor, too. Great pictures

Shenandoah Valley, VA

That's so funny you should say that - she does talk. Or her equivalent of talking and it cracks us up. She'll just walk over and start, "Aaaoo ooooarrrr aaaaaaaaaoooo eeearrrr."

I painted that floor several years ago and then topped it with about 6 coats of poly. It's held up pretty well and hides the fact that there's a mish mash of different kinds of wood flooring in the kitchen.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Nice photo visit, hart.
Boy, I used to crochet, cros sstitch, took hand quilt piecing classes...just haven't 'had the time' lately.
I like.the floor too LOL, you didn't quite expect the floor to be one of the focal points

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Maybe I should take a photo of the floor with Jello in the foreground. Oh, I already did that. LOL I copied that floor from one done in tile from a photo in a magazine ad.

Never did any quilting but I did a lot of cross stitch years ago. Did a lot of sewing when Kelby was little, including making her some dolls and a lot of clothes. I just recently got back into crocheting and I find it very relaxing.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Adorable fur babies and your garden is starting to put on a beautiful show!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I've been surprised how fast everything has come up and is getting ready to bloom this year. Often, nothing much is up before mid or even late May.

My fur babies are wonderful. I miss Java, though.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Cute pics Hart, Jello is looking good and I love that little bear. Have to show that one to my DIL. She is going to try her hand at those blue and green garden tote bags. I remember your painted floor from the swap a few years ago. It's a nice floor, we painted mine but never did the top poly coats as it was just a temp fix till we put down the tile. Can't even remember how long ago that was. It's been touched up several times, Ric just picked up a can of paint a couple of days ago so he can freshen it up for the swap.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Jello is doing pretty well. She had another cluster of seizures three weeks ago so we're in the process of slightly tweaking her meds again. I hope (keep your fingers crossed) we can finally get her spayed next month if we can get this under control.

I've never touched mine up, although after about seven or eight years it could use it in a couple of spots. Some of the wood in the floor is rougher and it tends to wear in those spots. The poly really makes a difference but you have to put on several coats, not just one.

Let me know if your daughter wants to try one of the little bears. There aren't many free patterns for these but I can give you the links to a couple. Also a couple of good sources of the supplies.

How are your chickies doing, Holly? One of my Americaunas has gone broody so I've left her some eggs to set on. I did this last year with one of the Wyandottes and they never hatched so I'm not really hoping to get babies.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hart, They are pretty cute, I had them outside today. I've been keeping them inside until it gets a bit warmer. Could put them out in the garage if I set up a heat lamp, but it's just easier to keep them inside for the time. I'm trying to get them real tame now so they will be easy to handle later, sometimes I sit watching a bit of TV and hold them in my lap. Little Lily came down on Sunday and saw them for the first time she is 2 and just thought they were the most fascinating things. LOL

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I hope you're getting photos of Lily with the chicks. What adorable photos that would make.

You do know you start them at 95 degrees with a lightbulb and then gradually lower the temperature?

Be sure you continue to handle them, even when they get older, if you want them to be tame.
My brown leghorns, though, never tamed up at all so I guess some of that has to do with the breed's temperament.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Here ya go Holly. Foghorn Leghorn, remember him?

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Shenandoah Valley, VA

When I had white leghorns, my rooster was named Foghorn. LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

No we didn't get any pic of Lily with the chicks, such a shame. JR was here and helping her, would have been wonderful pics of the cousins together. But everyone was busy making sure that she didn't get scared and the chicks didn't get hurt. Lets see 3 adults for 2 children and 3 chicks. LOL
Oh yes I remember Foghorn Leghorn. LOL

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Oh, well, maybe you can get some next time. Chicks will be bigger but still cute.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Some more photos today. BTW, in case you're wondering why I'm starting a separate thread, I have to tell you I absolutely despise those 200+ post long threads everyone else around here seems to like.

Here's the wood poppies from Happy? Critter? I'm sorry for not remembering. Anyway, they're thriving and blooming like crazy.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Here they are again with the mayapples. A week ago, the mayapples were barely out of the ground, now they're getting ready to bloom too.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

I got these wallflowers at Walmart the other day. I love wallflowers. It's a shame the camera can't quite catch the glowing golden yellow of the flowers.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Another Walmart find - coreopsis nana. It's a short, groundcover coreopsis.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

The two together, which gives you a better idea of the flower sizes.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Charlies Jolie lilac, just starting to bloom. It's a dark, dark purple, a bit darker than it looks in the photo.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Chantell, remember those euphorbias you and I got in the trade a couple of years ago? The ones that lived have finally started to spread a bit. They're blooming now and very pretty. You can see them here above the prickly pear cactus almost at the top of the photo.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Here's a closer shot to show the blooms.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Took another photo of the roccoco tulips today.

Thumbnail by hart
Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Hart, your plants and pups look great!! Do you have any yellow hellabores? They seem to be hard to come by. What breed of dog is Jello?

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Hart - love, love, love the bear and all the plants! If you ever get a sucker from the CJ lilac I hereby hold my greedy little hands in the air and shout - ME, ME! ^_^

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I promise you have dibs on the first sucker, Bec. I fell in love with the dark purple lilacs from an old, colonial era house in Front Royal that has a big one dripping over the picket fence. What a pretty scene that is every spring.

Jello is a pit bull. Her color is fairly rare, she's a blue brindle.

I don't have any yellow hellebores. I know there were some offered in a coop a couple of years ago, I think from Terra Nova plants. Have you checked with Pinewood? They seen to carry just about everything in the way of hellebores.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.