Can you hear me Screaming with GLEE?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Mine bloomed, too, but much lighter than yours and more lavender than your zesty color.

Thumbnail by pirl
Ravenna, OH(Zone 5b)

I just LOVE crystal fountain! It is by far the best bloomer I have. Well, yet anyways.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

I wonder if the amount of sun has anything to do with the color. Mine bloom like Ken's in quite a bit of shade. Is yours in full sun Pirl?

Mine is in more shade than full sun.

Ravenna, OH(Zone 5b)

My crystal fountain is in full sun all day long almost.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Jeanne, I'd like to add another clematis on our garage wall, between Dr. Ruppel and Westerplatte..any suggestions? Anything but white! Around the corner is the Comtesse de Bouchard. There's always been some other kind of vine growing up with the Comtesse de Bouchard, looks like a grave vine leaf..if I dig up the entire clematis, will I be able to untangle that stranger vine? We keep clipping it as we see it but it grows back. Any suggestions? How deep are clematis roots? We didn't plant the Comtesse de Bouchard, it came with the property! Along with 9 hydrange bushes! We are thinking of digging up every other one on that side or just keeping one or two, so we can plant other things on that side of the house.

Cupertino, CA(Zone 9a)

Jeanne Jeanne The Clematis Queen What a treat to see your beauties again. So of course
I have a question. I planted Guernsy Cream last year but, it nothing, nada. I sure hope your
right about sleep, creep and leap. Hopefully she will creep this coming spring.

Here is a picture if Sugar Candy. It never fails me.

Thumbnail by claudcat

It's a beauty like that, never disappointing, that keeps us so hooked on clem's.

Cupertino, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Pirl. It sure is a fav of mine. I don't know why but, most of my clems did lousy
this year. Huvi bloomed but, it didn't perform like Jeannes. I really want Josephine and if I
buy one next spring that's the one. It's soooo gorgeous.

This message was edited Dec 10, 2009 8:52 PM

It gave me one bloom in 2009 but it's new so even that was a very nice surprise.

Cupertino, CA(Zone 9a)

Pirl, That makes me feel better.

I think that's the main purpose of DG - to ease our minds.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

My clems are now very sleepy, full slumber actually. Funny though, my candidas are very green, they don't seem to mind the cold weather.

Jeanne..do you ever collect seeds from your clematis vines to save for more the next year? If you do, how do you collect them? Feel like doing a tuitorial on this subject for me and others? You're the clematis expert..everybody knows that!

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Venu, My Niobe never dies back, and actually bloomed between Christmas and New Years! Such a nice little suprise. I have a picture somewhere, I'll have to find it.

Baton Rouge, LA

JLP, I'm betting that your Niobe is dying back after all of our freezing weather. My entire garden looks very, very sad. I'm not used to seeing brown rather than green in my garden. It's scary!!! We should have a bumper crop of beautiful blooms this year from all of our plants that like a rest though... don't you think?

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I sure hope so! The clematis is now completely brown, but still has the 2 blooms on it! One is perfect, but one has lost a petal and has kind of turned in a little bit.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Here it is:

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Whoops

Thumbnail by jlp222
Cupertino, CA(Zone 9a)

Mine are brown...I always wonder "Will they come back?"

Something is wrong with your clematis..those brown leaves and only one bloom..Wonder what is its problem. Ask Jeanne, the Clematis Queen.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I think the problem is that is bloomed in December ;)

That's an excellent reason!!!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

It's not unusual for clematis to bloom during Dec. Jan in our zones..those leaves are probably brown from the winter cold and old leaves...is it a pruning group 3? this is the time to hard prune and fertilize and water well..I've got pruning group 2 clematis with brown leaves starting to put out there new leaves..I like to take my fingers and crumble the old leaves off..Jeanne

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I cut it back to about 12" about a month ago. It has started showing new growth. I haven't fertilized yet though.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Girl..get out there and fertilize that baby ..she'll really perform for you if you do...we are similar zones and I like you prune around Valentine's Day and fertilize as well....You did good..Jeanne

I'm cutting back as I clean up but I'm shocked at how many buds I had to cut off when cutting them back. Even here, on the frozen tundra, they're bursting with new growth.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I will fertilize today then! This plant always does well for me. Let me see if I can find the pic of it from last summer. . . .

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I will fertilize today then! This plant always does well for me. Let me see if I can find the pic of it from last summer. . . .

Aha! It's from 2 springs ago.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/831820/

Terrific. Proof positive that the box stores aren't the worst. I bought a few at Wal Mart "just for fun", of course. They always do great for me so I scoff when folks talk about only buying the huge clematises. It's true that you won't get any rare or unusual ones but the more common ones like Jackmanii, Niobe, Belle of Woking, Nelly Moser, etc. but each is so lovely in bloom that it's more than worth the $5.00 gamble.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Ahh..I remember your "Niobe"..gorgeous!!

TAYLOR, TX(Zone 8a)

Jeanne TX, you always have such a beautiful garden!!!! I'm always looking for your pictures!! Very inspiring!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

great clems everyone. just popping in to look.
My order from Brushwood comes Friday,hope I have better luck this year.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Lou!!..I enjoy looking at everyone's pics too...Jeanne

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Brushwood order has been in for a week.Daniel de Ronda has bloomed.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

You will LOVE "Daniel Deronda"...Here is mine today!!

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

What a lovely blue.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Beautiful pics. I'm not much experienced in growing clems but do know about them. Just ordered 10 from the clem co-op. Including Josephine, Crystal Fountain, and Avant Garde. Planning to plant them with my 6 rosa climbers and maybe a couple as a 'ground cover'.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sounds yummy.Take pics.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey Tex..how come we don't know about this co-op..is it over??..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.