Can you hear me Screaming with GLEE?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Seeing doubles in warmer zones are iffy at best..but the two "Josephines" I planted a couple years ago are true to form..call me silly but I do love it...Jeanne

This message was edited Apr 17, 2009 9:59 AM

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Clematis "Huldine" IMHO is fabulously GORGEOUS with climbing rosa "Red Eden"

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Don't you agree?

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I planted 4 clematis along with this climbing rosa "Sombreuil" Clematis "Huvi" is the first to pop..this is one of the many I got from Jerome..thanks Jerome..you are my hero~

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Isn't the Colour of Clematis "Huvi" so vivid and yummy?

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Another of the tons of clematis I got from Jerome...Clematis "Royalty..yum yum

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

My first bloom of the season is opening for Clematis "The President"..they are HUGE this year...

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I have clematis "Mme Edouard Andre'" and Clematis "Luther" planted with climbing rosa "Devonisis"

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Drakesville, IA

i,m in zone 5 my purple clematis are growing up knee high. what should i have done with dead vines from last years growth? need help these things are growing fast hope i,m in the right spot.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Just wanted to show you what climbing rosa "Devonisis" looks like..can't wait to see them all mature on my Gazebo

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Db...it really depends on which pruning group your "purple" clematis 'tis hon..if you can post a pic we can try and id it for you...leave them alone and let them leaf out..any that don't leaf out in the end are dead vines and should be pruned even with the soil...Jeanne

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Did someone here ask me why I love Clematis "Snow Queen" so much that I have three of her?..This is one reason

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

WOW! We all have double vision with "Josephine"! Congratulations on this lovely Clem! "Huldine" is an excellent white Clematis to grow with just about everything! It really makes a statement when combined with Rosa "Red Eden"! ""Huvi" is so bold and bright! It's "eye candy"! "Royalty" is lovely. How many years has it been in your garden? I've recently received several different varieties of Clems from Jerome. I've been soaking them and now it's time to pot them up.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

and another reason..this one is planted with Climbing rosa "Compassion"

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Shirl~~..Hey girl so nice to see you...I planted all my clematis from Jerome in fall of '2007..when I did those new beds up front
Clematis "Proteus"..In the 4 years that I have had these two..neither has produced a double..boohoo

Thumbnail by JeanneTX

"Mme Edouard Andre'" is simply stunning! I'm looking forward to seeing "Luther Burbank" in bloom too. Climbing Rosa "Devonisis" is gorgeous! I love ivory colored Roses! Clematis "Snow Queen" is a beauty with her darker colored stamen. Which white Clematis do you prefer, "Huldine" or "Snow Queen"??? Inquirying minds want to know!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Seems like Clematis "Ernest Markham" & " Dr. Ruppel" are having a ball next to my Amaryllis "Red Lion"

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Gezzzz...Shirl...it's like choosing between your children...I must say that "Snow Queen" is much larger than "Huldine" but "Huldine" just has so many blooms..guess I must say "Huldine"..dang I hate choosing..LOL
"Empress" is now about 5 feet wide and such a perky little lady

Thumbnail by JeanneTX

Hey Jeanne, good to see you too! Love your Clems & Roses. You need to give garden tours, girl! Absolutely outstanding!

I also have "Proteus" and have never gotten double blooms from this one either. However, I've been growing it in a big container, so that might be the reason. I guess I should un-pot it and plant it in my garden to see if perhaps it will reward me with some double flowers.

Clematis "Ernest Markham" & "Dr. Ruppel" are out doing each other!

Jeanne, I think you missed a spot in your garden....are you going to have another Clematis/Rose area growing along the fence line?

I know it is extremely difficult to have to choose between your Clems! I still love "Huldine" especially for the color on the reverse side of the blooms. That's what makes it so special to me.

Holy moley girl, your Clematis garden is putting on a floral show! "Empress" is another outstanding Clematis. The pictures in garden magazines don't begin to do it justice compared to the pictures from your garden!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I have 6 clematis in pots that I am going to plant in those blank spots..tee hee and have about 8 more in mind to order...No more roses tho..takes me two days just to prune anymore...Gary asked me who is going to do this when I get too old and I said I'll hire someone and train 'em!..Glad you mentioned the reverse on Clematis "Huldine" that does make her special indeed..I don't think having "Proteus" in a pot has anything to do with it...I think it has something to do with our warmer climates..Miquel has had a few but at the very bottom...
""Empress" is another outstanding Clematis. The pictures in garden magazines don't begin to do it justice compared to the pictures from your garden!"
ahhh girl..you make me blush..how kind of you to say.thanks hon...Jeanne

How much sun do you give to "Empress"? I would think she would benefit from morning sun, but may get bleached out with afternoon sun in a very warm climate.

I truly believe it must take two full days to prune everything in your garden and that's no exaggeration! Yes, one day you will definitely need to find & train someone on how to prune all your Clematis and Roses correctly. Can you image the floral display in your garden in 5, 10, 20+ years from now???!!! It will be astounding!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

My "Empress" gets all day sun ..she is on my lattice fence that runs North and South

Well if "Empress" can tolerate full day sun in your growing zone, she certainly can in mine. Thanks for letting me know.

Baton Rouge, LA

Jeanne, I'm blown away by the wide variety of cultivars you are growing successfully in 8b. Are most of your clems growing in sun, shade or a mixture? Also, I know zone 8b can run the spectrum for duration of highs and lows. Can you describe your weather patterns a little better? For instance, what's your typical winter lowest point (hard freeze once/twice/three times, etc.)? And, what's your typical sustained weather in the worst part of summer? Before I buy EVERY clem you post a photo for (because you have me green with envy over here!), I think it best to make sure I have a fighting chance to grow them!

Thanks for any info, your devoted pupil, Ev =)

Drakesville, IA

thanks for inf will send pics

Delaware, OH

looks good in tx jeanne. your april is like my june i guess as far as number blooming.
we are all up and sprouting here, guernsey cream is th only big mature clem here fully budded, but will be acouple more weeks before there is action.

your garden looks amazing and i know you are really in the peak nirvana flow of clem season....so enjoy!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Out of this world blooms! Jeanne is Queen of those gorgeous clematis!!! Oh her collection of roses as well.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Ev..I think we discussed what I'll do on my journal to aid in your quest...My weather is similar to yours..having lived in Lafayette..I can tell you that our climate is almost the same minus the humidity..I am about 20 miles from Houston..and being on a lake makes it less humid with the breeze but August can be a bugger..and temps stay in the mid to upper 90's and evenings in the 70's...thanks everyone..glad you are enjoying my gardens..I Soooooo wanted to play in my gardens the last two days but have been inundated with rain..rain..rain..shame my energy level doesn't coincide with good weather..LOL...Jeanne

This message was edited Apr 18, 2009 8:53 AM

Baton Rouge, LA

Ohhh, I didn't realize Willis was so close to Houston. My best friend lives in Baytown, and we get IDENTICAL weather as hers, just generally a day later. The wind patterns blow directly from Houston to us... so much so that we even get your industrial chem leaks when there is a blowout there (not such a good thing!). Aileen is a block off the bay in a wooded area, so she's also got our humidity level. Yep, since you're by Houston, I'm certain whatever you can grow has a good chance to grow here too. YAY!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Have you heard of Lake Conroe or Conroe?..I live on Lake Conroe...Jeanne

Baton Rouge, LA

Yep, I've definitely heard of them. I visit Aileen often, and when my friend Lisa lived in Spring, I'd go to visit her as well. Aileen and I have run the roads all over there on my visits. That's a beautiful area. You're a lucky girl!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Bump.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey Pirl.I felt a "Bump"...LOL..how are all of you..hugz...Jeanne

I just love your photos and use them for inspiration, Jeanne!

My Ernest Markham never did stop producing blooms this year from June onwards.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

aww glad to know that...congrats...Jeanne

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

JeanneTx,
I live about 1/4 mile from Lake Conroe. I only have one clematis, but lots of Daylilies. Just saying hey! I'm here!
April

Ravenna, OH(Zone 5b)

Another pic of a Josephine, just in her second year here. Not bad, can't wait to see her in her 'leap' year!

Thumbnail by kentstar

Lucky you!

Ravenna, OH(Zone 5b)

A pic of Crystal Fountain this year, also second year.

Thumbnail by kentstar

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.