Rawlings Conservatory Spring Show

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We spent a good 3 hours at Rawlings this afternoon with Holly's mom and dad. There spring show started on the 4th and runs thru the 19th. Ric

This message was edited Apr 16, 2009 8:54 PM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Rawlings is part of Baltimore's park system and located just off I83 in Druid Hill Park, think zoo! We are about an hour away getting on 83 @ Pa exit 33. There theme is nursery rhymes and the plant material was excellent, especially after 2 cloudy days to hold them. RIC

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The original palm house dates to 1877-88. Even though the show ends in 3 days, they were still changing out the displays with "fresh" beds of new flowers. Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

They have a small staff and use volunteers, but many are knowledgeable and helpful, and will take a few minutes to answer your questions. Once or twice we were there and the director or a staff member were giving a group tour, we just fell into the rear and tagged along, getting insight to the various displays and there history. RIC

This message was edited Apr 16, 2009 9:18 PM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

There is no fee, only a request of a $2 donation per person, and always well worth it. We went for the 2007 Christmas show with Gita, and a small group of DGers. I believe Gita volunteers there and this shot is for her. I think this is one of hers. RIC

This message was edited Apr 16, 2009 9:18 PM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'll close for now, Holly may add more photos at a later time, But if you find yourself rushing around the Baltimore area, STOP and smell the flowers. Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice, thanks for sharing.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric,

There was a heads up sent to all the volunteers----I c/p it below.....
Every year--they sell off all the dug up bulbs from the Spring Show for very reasonable prices....They are not your run of the mill bulbs--they get them from Holland every year.....

Leakin Park is due West of Druid Hill Park, between Windsor Mill Rd. and Edmonson Ave. I am sure you could look it up.....

Ric, I have not set foot at Rawlings this whole past year----so, my volunteer status is sadly lacking.....A bit too far to drive.....Also--I am not all that motivated.....:o(

I also work on Saturdays and seem to always miss out on these events....Glad you and Holly went.....Thanks for the pictures.

Sent: 4/21/2009 6:27:37 PM
Dear Volunteers.....

Yet another opportunity to help with a "green" event here in Baltimore City! The herb festival is coming up on Saturday, May 23rd, and we need folks to help out with it. Like at Market Day, Conservatory Staff and Volunteers have traditionally sold the bulbs that we used for our spring show at the Herb Festival. We offer a HUGE selection of bulbs and they are POPULAR! and CHEAP! Trust me. I was amazed last year when I worked at the Herb Festival. We also will be helping out this year with PLANT SALES....that Cylburn staff has done in the past.

The shifts for the Herb Festival are as follows:

set-up shift is 8:30am- 12:30pm * Need 4 people

second shift is 12noon-4pm *Need 4 people

It can get really busy at the Herb Festival and it's nice to have a few extra hands so that people can take a break when they need it. Again, this is a great opporunity to check out the vendors of plants and crafts and get into the swing of the season. Bear in mind that in late May, it can start to get HOT! So bring a water bottle, hat and sunscreen...

Please respond to my email if you would like to help with the Herb Festival. I will send more information as it becomes available.

And--this is another event--at the Cylburn Arboretum.....
Dear Volunteers:

We need help for Market Day, which will be held at Cylburn Arboretum on Saturday, May 9th! Traditionally, the Conservatory has sold the bulbs from our spring show and also helped Melissa and the Cylburn staff and volunteers with things like the plant-sitting booth and crowd control.

Market Day is a lot of fun, a real blast of spring, and a great place to buy plants for your yard. Please let me know if you would like to volunteer to help out. We need 4 volunteers in the morning and 4 volunteers in the afternoon. The schedule is as follows:

Saturday, May 9th at Cylburn Arboretum:

1st Shift: 7:45am- 11:00am......set up and bulb sales. Possibly plant sitting, helping out with questions from the customers.
*Need 4 Volunteers to help out!

2nd Shift: 10:45am-2:00pm.......assist with bulb sales, plant-sitting, and helping out with questions from customers.
*Need 4 Volunteers to help out!

Downingtown, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Ric,
Nice pics. My wife and I spent the day yesterday at Longwood Gardens. We had a wonderful time too. I posted pictures at the photo board, but thought it would be OK to cross link here too.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/979505/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Gita, Ric wanted to make sure you saw your RicRac.
Jec6, Yes we will check out your pics. Love Longwood and we haven't been there for quite a while. Thanks for the link.
I've been a bit lax in posting more pics. Here are a few more. Holly

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sorry I don't have names for most of these.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

What would a trip to Rawlings be without a visit to the Orchid Room.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Too high to reach the ID tag. These were just beautiful

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Phal, Brother Golden Mango
My favorite for this trip.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The Rose Cactus was blooming.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Bougie's were doing their thing. Can't wait till I have a spot to let mine loose. LOL

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Loved this combo

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

A few more spring bulbs to finish up.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

more,

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hope you enjoyed the trip.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

....The amazing thing is that ALL the plants are still in their pots--buried in mulch!

Ric--Did you see if my Ric-Rac was blooming? Buds?? I bet--not yet....Would love to be there to see it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.