fruit tree fertilizers

Steubenville, OH

Hello,

What do you fertilize your fruit trees with...how much...and how often? Thanks!

Anna, IL

I use a balanced fertilizer 12 12 12 or something comprable and fertilize while dormant and then again right now during leafing. If you are getting too much vegetative growth use something like 6 24 24 which has less nitrogen.
RED

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

I use Jobe's fruit tree spikes, except on the youngest trees.

Richmond, TX

I use composted manure.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I use fish emulsion spray with compost.

New Iberia, LA

I use mostly 13-13-13 or compost cow/horse manure spaced out three times a year starting in February. If I am using only 13-13-13, I will always add micronutrients.
Oldude

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Olddude you grow mostly citrus don't you? I use a palm and fruit tree fertilizer from lesco (8-10-10 w/micro nutrients) three times a year but that's timed to my citrus tree leaf growth which is usually 3 flushes a year. I have mostly citrus trees so I stick to their timing and needs, other fruit trees I have get the same but I'm not sure that's really right for all fruit trees.

Word of warning, I would stay away from the stakes. They are unreliable as how and when they dissolve.

Manure is good but I can't use it because my dogs will dig in it. Ohhhh do they like organic anything. Blood meal, bone meal????

New Iberia, LA

Core
Actually I have more pecan trees than citrus but also have just about anything that will grow here. Citrus has always been my favorite.
I found out early that the specialty fertilizers were way too expensive to use in large quantities. The ratios for 13-13-13 don’t fit every tree but it has worked well for me. Like you I fertilize not only the citrus but everything gets fed three times per year. My blueberries and a couple of container Owari are the only trees that get special fertilizer. Here’s a picture of my last picking in late January of Hamlin oranges. I think that you will agree that 13-13-13 works for me.
Oldude

Thumbnail by oldude
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Nice. I don't have enough trees to make the fertilizer price that much of an issue. You are right, what I use is more expensive then a basic fert.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I use the organic stakes, they dissove well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.