How are the wildflowers this year (Joshua Tree, Mojave)?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm wondering if this is a good, bad, or indifferent year for wildflowers in the southern CA desert...

I've heard the spring show varies with the winter/spring rains. I've seen photos from years that were just stunning!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm asking because it looks like I may be in the Las Vegas area the first week in May. If so, I'll try to get down to the Mojave Reserve for sure, but if it's a red letter year then I want to get down to Joshua Tree National Park, too.

The web sites I've found indicate that the lower elevations may have peaked, but there should still be blooms higher up. But although all the info says that it varies from year to year, I've found nothing that tells me how this year rates.

?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know about Mojave and Joshua Tree, but Death Valley had an OK but not spectacular year--I was there in February when they got a TON of rain over the couple days I was there, so I was thinking of going back in late March in hopes of seeing a nice display. But the weather dried up too much after that Feb rain so they did have some flowers but not a huge display like the one they had a few years back. I expect Mojave and Joshua Tree got similar amount/timing of rainfall so probably similar results on the spring flowers. DV has a wildflower update on their web page, and I suspect the other parks might too, that way you can know ahead of time whether it's worth the drive or not. At DV, the lower elevations are past their peak but higher elevations still have some flowers.
http://www.dvnha.org/morning_report/WildflowerUpdate.pdf

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks! I appreciate the link for DV. I found park service info for Mojave & Joshua Tree, but the info didn't really let me know if the bloom was especially good or indifferent this year. I really don't know how these desert climates work... if there's rain in the forecast the next couple of weeks (gotta check that), would that mean more blooms after that? Or does there have to have been winter rain for there to be especially good bloom this year?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Wow, Jill, you're going to be soooooooo close to me. Would love to meet you!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Yep;
Pretty close to me as well. We should figure something out. It's be nice to meet one of my fellow story writers.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Any rain they get now won't help much with the flowers, it's the rain they already got that really counts. I don't think either Mojave or Joshua Tree would have had significantly more rain than Death Valley got this year, so I suspect the flowers both places will be OK but not one of those extra-great years. Mojave especially isn't that far from DV so I can't imagine it would be too different there.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Aren't you busy with a new grandbaby, or have I lost track?

Hmm, maybe we could meet up in Joshua Tree, and you could show me the best wildflower places... ?

I'm also wondering if maybe I've just missed the best time for the Mojave and should be looking elsewhere (further North)? I want to do a loop out to the Grand Canyon & Bryce, maybe also Zion, then back to Las Vegas...

I've always heard about "the desert in bloom" and wanted to see it... I just don't know when/where to look! I'm hoping "when" might possibly be early May... but maybe "when" was last week, LOL.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ecrane, we cross posted... thanks for your answer! I have a feeling that even an "ordinary" year would be pretty wonderful to see.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm sure if you go and hit the higher elevations you'll see some blooms. I know Death Valley has higher elevations, not sure about the others since I've never been there.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks!

I'm heading to bed now (East Coast time LOL) but will check in on this thread first thing tomorrow. I appreciate the input! I hope the trip plans work out.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey Critter!
The more rain we get, the better the wildflower show. There is also the fire recovery in some areas. Different plants move in after the fires and it takes years sometimes for recovery to occur. I had the pleasure of touring a remote area yesterday behind locked gates. Part of the land is forestry and part belongs the nature conservancy and part is an historic ancient Native American Indian Village site.
A few years ago, the hills we saw yesterday were burnt to crisp in one of the areas wildfires. Recovery is slow especially during the drought this year.
Look at the range of hills in the back of weird shaped Yucca which is blooming. Those hills were burned back three years ago. Most of the old oaks, and the sycamore trees were at the very least damaged. The Yucca isn't as tall this year, the blooms are starting to fade on a lot of things already.
Some things appear to not mind the frequent wildfires. Some of the bushes can be burned to the roots and still come back. Some trees will come back too.
Some pockets had a lot more wild flowers than others. I've seen those hills in the background of this photo covered with patches of color on a really rainy year.
I guess there is nothing to brag about this year.
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Just to show that this kind of thing happens on a regular basis, take a look at this oak tree. It obviously has survived fires. She may be scarred, but she endures. I love the character of this oak tree which is in the old Indian Village site.
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Grandbaby will be here Friday Jill.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Hello, Las Vegas here. Zion is great and so is Cedar Break and that whole area in Utah is just around the bend from Las Vegas. You may not see many flowers or maybe you will but you will still lose your breath from the Beauty. Red Rock Canyon is just up the road from our home and it is also beautiful. With or without flowers the West is a special spot with magnificent mountains and valleys. I have lived in Nevada since 1942, moved here when I was 4 months old, and have never been to Grand Canyon. I understand it is out of this world. Oh my, I just disclosed my age. You should call and I will show you how we garden here. D Mail me. It is not easy when you start out with cliche (cement) as soil....LOL. The month of May in Las Vegas is Beautiful. Ninety degrees during the day, cool evening and all the roses and gardens are in full bloom before the heat hits...Come enjoy the sites and call me before you purchase a timeshare or a high rise condo. LOL

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I love that area of Cedar Break, Zion, Moab, the Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park in Utah, various portions of AZ and Nevada. Now if only I could remember the name of the Sandstone formations near Vegas and the River.
I really hate it when I do that.
Beauty is where you find it. Be looking!
WIB,
SW

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

oh, such an exciting time, Weegy!

SW, thanks for your input. I'm thinking that maybe I'll just do a quick stop through Mojave and then go on to Flagstaff rather than heading further south to Joshua Tree... that will give a day for driving up & back Oak Creek Canyon, which is said to be very scenic.

I've been to the Grand Canyon & Bryce (want to go again!), didn't really have a chance to appreciate Zion since it was 110 degrees that day (everybody in the campground was sitting in the creek to cool off LOL).

I'll see if I can find Red Rock Canyon on the map also. I thought on the way back from Bryce, maybe a stop to explore the Valley of Fire state park... ?

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

We were in the Mojave area in late March, stayed in Ridgecrest and drove into some of the high country back roads. Beautiful blooms!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

This one was my favorites, I will be buying some seeds to try for next spring.
California Bluebells Phacelia campanularia

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

They were such a deep blue!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Lots of cheerful California Coreopsis

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Indian Paintbrush of course

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sue, those photos are STUNNING!

I suppose you'll tell me that March was the time to be there and that I've missed it by now... ;-)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Things will definitely be past their peak by early May, but if you can hit some higher elevations I think you'll still find some nice things in bloom.

It wasn't until we got to those higher elevations that we saw the best displays, with a Jeep we always get to those hidden offroad spots, mostly fire roads. To me, it's always so surprising what one misses just driving through on the main highways.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Of course the poppies were in full swing

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

The trails in Red Rock Canyon State Park were welcoming with lots of Malacothrix glabrata, desert dandelion

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Very pretty dandelions!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hmm, maybe we need to see how much more it would be to rent a Jeep...

;-)

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Critter,
I asked DH, and he says while the lower elevations have pretty much bloomed out, the higher elevations are just getting started.
Calif_Sue, so that is what they are called! LOL!
Hope this helps. Zion is beautiful any time of the year.
Enjoy your trip!
WIB,
SW

The two vehicles above don't have any trouble on these trails. We did Joshua Trees end of Dec. and drove out the back of the park on a dirt road, exiting out a canyon wash called Berdoo Canyon, just a little bit of rocks to pass over carefully but easy enough for every one. This is me checking my tires for placement getting up this steep little part to go check out some old ruins.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Calif_Sue, my Jeep wants to know if yours would like to go out on a date? She's always loved those rugged outdoor types. She is an elegant lady, but she has pulled a lot of cars out of trouble. LOL!
WIB!
SW

LOL, mine's not so elegant but also has a nice winch on front for saving the day! we sure have had a lot of fun adventures since we got this vehicle 2 years ago!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

It has taken us to a lot of truly scenic spots in Calif and Nevada so far.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Looks like some of the roads I used to run. Even my little field trip on Tuesday, came with a couple of wash outs, and really scary drop offs. I think mine is two also. She does good on the farm, and cleans up for town. Unfortunately, I can't find enough pillows to pad me when the going gets really rough, sigh. So most of my off road adventures these days are pretty tame.
Winches are wonderful. Only bell & whistle I wanted but didn't get. She's got a hemi, and runs on 8 cylinders, and some really strong hooks in the front. As I said, she's pulled a lot of people out of trouble. LOL!
Sorry Critter. Us Jeep lovers, and our off roading. Where dirt on your jeep is a matter of pride, not shame. LOL!
WIB!
SW

Yeah, and that Jeep did get me to some pretty wild flowers so it's not too far off topic ^_^

My beauty, man & beast shot.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Wow Calif_Sue, I hope you have a GPS Cell Phone. I been on several of those trips with my little brother in his Jeep. He uses abandoned railroad tracks and things I would never imagine to get from one place to another in the high mountains. The last, and I mean last with him, was really scary and my blood pressure had to be sky high when we made it back to the main road. I love'd to go high up, park and just look around. I am always amazed what you find hidden just waiting for you to walk by. Of course, I was not smart enough at that time to carry a camera. Now I have a great camera but probably couldn't handle the mountain climbing. I have a "balance" problem.

Critterologist, if you do go wandering around off the road, watch out for the open mine pits. We had two young girls killed last year from Arizona. They had gone high up, took off on their 4 wheelers with their dad and went right into a mine shaft. They are suppose to fenced off but many of them are not. Take pictures and update us when you get back from your travels.

We usually don't go too far off the beaten path and when we do, we travel in small groups. GPS yes but not the GPS cell phone, we do have CB radios.

We come across the mines all the time but as you said, most are quite visible at least but not all are safely gated. We have seen a few vertical ones in the So-Cal deserts but most are set in hillsides.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

If we rent a jeep, they'd better be prepared to get it back dirty. I loved that jeep commercial a couple years ago where the woman was trying to decide which color would be nicest for her new ride... she threw a big bucket of mud on a couple of them and said oh yes! the red one. LOL

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You should have seen our Mazda3 rental car after my sister & I got done with Death Valley...we were there when they got tons of rain in Feb and everything was flooded, there were mud flows across the roads and I also took it off-road a little bit (on a road I later found out was recommended for high clearance vehicles!) so it got dirty there too. Needless to say the outside of the car was absolutely filthy by the time we left!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.