Questions about Louisiana Iris

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Since I am on a roll here asking about all sorts of new (to me) Iris, I figgure I might as well ask about Louisiana Iris. Is it hardy up north or only a southern plant? Is this one of those bulb Iris like the Dutch Iris or a "regular" iris like the Siberian Iris?

I have already flipped over Siberian Iris and Dutch Iris but the pictures I see of the bold colors (like RED!) on the Louisiana Iris have really caught my attention. I don't see them offered at most of the real iris sites, I have only seen them at places like Brecks.

Thanks.

Cherryvale, KS

Look on polly k site or Ensata gardens, and maybe Snowpeak Iris (irisloverdee). I'm in SE KS and have been successful so far. They take more water than bearded. I first saw them at regionals in St Joe, MO.

South Hamilton, MA

They should be hardy enough for you. Check Aitken's Salmon Creek Garden in WA. they offer quite a few.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Nicky, but I don't sell any. I've only recently started growing them, with some success, some not so. I don't think Dee sells them either.

They would be hardy for you Rita. Pirl also lives on LI and she grows them. They grow very, very well in Rochester NY, at the Iris Friendship Gardens there. The Iris Friendship Gardens has Louisianas from all over the world, some from NZ, and Australia.

I understand from what I've read that the Professor series does not do well up here. Depending on their heritage, some are much more hardy than others. Some LAs are native to Lousiana, and some native as far up as Ohio. The ones that are not as hardy, I still get good growth, just don't get flowering.

Here's a picture I took of some in Rochester, which would be a colder zone than you.

And they are a rhizomatous iris, not a bulbous one. Much like the siberians and JIs.

Don't buy them from Brecks. Buy from one of the growers. I would suggest Iris City, Aitkens Salmon Creek or even one of the Louisiana iris growers.

Thumbnail by pollyk
(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

if you want to try some Louisiana iris . bluegrassmom has some black gamecock and hush money for like 2.00 on the classifieds . i have gotten some of those exact ones at the round up . they are doing great . i dont really water them any more my daylilies or roses. i put them in a dip that collects water when it rains though.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Black Gamecock would be an excellent one to try, too. It's one of the hardier ones. Very vigorous.

I don't know yet if I want them or not. So far I do not know enough about them to make a decision and its at the researching them stage. Good growth and no bloom or very little bloom would not appeal to me.

Will look on some of the sites sugested. I really was not intending to get them at Brecks. Its just that I saw them there while looking for Dutch Iris, so started wondering what they were.

Thanks!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You're welcome. Pirl gets good bloom, and she's in the same location as you are, so I would suggest trying them.

You could dmail her for advice, I'm sure she would be glad to help.

lol polly shes vulnerable to new addictions right now . well we all are arnt we

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

We all sure are!

I did just ask her if she grows them.

Last year I put in a 300 gallon stocktank inground (one of those black resin ones) and put lots of nice rocks around it to make it look as natural as possible. I know down south they grow on pond banks. But I was thinking on the possibity of putting some along the back egde from were I usuaaly stand and look at it.

I could just go with Japanse or Siberian there so its all a toss up and nothing has been decided as far as that goes.

I just never realised there were as many types of iris before coming to the forum here.

im currently searching for a new addiction . ive got a little of everything . oh except Japanese iris . still . newyorkrita have you seen the japanese iris thread lol. i just am not sure where to put them . we were gonna start a bog but never did .

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Well, stick around. You need to check out some of the species, too. There will be lots of great threads with pictures as the spring/ summer progresses. A high point for me, each year is when Boojum does her thread on beardless irises.

Yes, I look at the JI thread everytime something new is added. I do like some of the JI flowers and did go nuts over that picture of FRILLED ENCHANTMENT. In fact I ordered it from Dee's. Ordered Siberian Iris WORTH THE WAIT and ARTIC BLUE Spuria also.

Still, I didn't get the feeling of going nuts over the JI as I did with all the lovely new Siberians. I just really love the looks of those. A big plus for me is that I very much like Siberian folliage and that helps alot.

Gardening addictions are a big problem for me. Afew years ago I got the rose crazies and now have about 200 roses. Then the daylily crazies and now over 300 daylilies in 2 years. More coming this spring. Before that the wildlife gardening crazies so I put in a nice mixed fruiting shrub border running all along the semi shady south property line between my neighbors driveway and my yard to attract the backyard songbird. Have butterfly and hummingbird attracting plants all over the place. Also got the bulb lily crazies starting last year, although I always had some of those also.

Its really getting to be a challenge to find places to add the iris.

Forgot to add that I am looking forward to all the pictures that will be posted.

I stumbled upon this site while looking for information about LA

http://www.louisianairis.com/

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Take a look at some of these threads for siberians.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/728028/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/850508/

South Hamilton, MA

Kevin Vaughn grew up here in MA. He started with Hostas as a boy & did LA because with the MS rainfall, it is often too wet for the bearded irises.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Love that website, newyorkita! I spend a lot of time in Mississippi near the Louisiana border and this gives me an excuse to sneak over to Louisiana for some iris and of course, some of their fabulous cooking in that part of the world.

South Hamilton, MA

You'll like 'Red Velvet Elvis'. Smaller flowered than some. 'Ann Chowning' is red, with a gold eye if they carry it.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I ordered Red Velvet Elvis -- two of them, one for a friend and one for me and had them delivered to her house. Unfortunately she misunderstood and thought both were for her! LOL! I did buy Ann Chowning locally in Mississippi and will probably try again on Red Velvet Elvis which was bred in Mississippi, or at least by a Mississippi County Extension Agent. It ought to grow there.
I have decided to try growing Louisianas at the farm there because I think they are relatively maintenance free there. They had better be, because I don't spend enough time there to baby them.
I saw the presentation at convention last year by Mr. Schexnyder of the Louisiana Forestry department on the way they have landscaped the bayous of New Orleans City Park with Louisianas. They are stunning and would like to see if I can do something even 1/10 as nice at my farm. First I will have to get it clear with my neighbor which ones I am sending for myself!

South Hamilton, MA

Kevin is living in MS while he works with LA irises among other things.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

But his garden is in Lafayette, La isn't it? And apparently he is the person who created Red Velvet Elvis, but he apparently isn't a county extension agent. I was hoping to get there in time for the spring bloom of iris this year, but have complications here at home -- sick dog, sick MIL. I will make it to the AIS convention, and once to the Denver Botanic Garden, but not to the farm until fall.

polly- I spent a lot of time last night looking at the pictures and reading thru those two threads you linked above. All I can say is wow. Can not wait for this springs pictures. Thank you for the links, I will be visiting them again and again. So many pictures.

South Hamilton, MA

Kevin is a researcher in weed control. The garden where he introduces is LA plants is in LA; he lives in MS, He has worked on a lot of different plants, we grow 'Concord Grape' one of his tratascantias.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, I had to look that one up. It isn't in Plant Files. Is it a type of wandering jew found in the Carolinas? That's all I could come up with.

South Hamilton, MA

My spelling is probably off--it is an American plant--something like 'Hortus III would be a better source. try the library says the librarian.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Isn't Hortus III on line?

South Hamilton, MA

??????? ok--Tradescantia (spiderwort)

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You're welcome, Rita. Boojum has a beautiful garden, doesn't she? And what wonderful pictures she takes.

Funny, Betty, your neighbor keeping your irises. My dream vacation is going to be to see the LAs in bloom in the bayous.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, if you decide to let me know. I will meet you there. Then we can go eat fabulous food at night. I would love to have some blooming at my farm as well.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I would just love to meet you there! What fun that would be.

I have been to New Orleans many years ago. Came from Florida to there, and had lots of great eating all along the way.

We will have to set aside our diets those days, I'm afraid. I love the sausages in Louisiana.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, yes. I don't diet on vacation. They do make fabulous sausage in Louisiana -- andouille, boudin and others. And then there is the seafood. And hot weather veggies that I love. Honestly, polly, I go there at least once a year and would love to meet you there. You could stay at my farm for at least part of the time. I am 80 miles from New Orleans. And we could also drive down to Lafayette, the absolute heart of Cajun country and with the iris farm of Lucy's friend and others as I recall. And then there is Zydeco iris right in New Orleans -- I have always wanted to visit it. This could be a fabulous trip.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It does sound like a fabulous trip. I will have to think on it. Thanks for the offer of a place to stay for a time.

I love andouille sausage, and the seafood and veggies won't hurt our diet at all.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Absolutely right. Consider it. And remember, you don't want to go there in July, August, or September. The rest of the year is fine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.