Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Questions about Louisiana Iris, 1 by pollyk

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pollyk

In reply to: Questions about Louisiana Iris

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Questions about Louisiana Iris
pollyk wrote:
Thanks Nicky, but I don't sell any. I've only recently started growing them, with some success, some not so. I don't think Dee sells them either.

They would be hardy for you Rita. Pirl also lives on LI and she grows them. They grow very, very well in Rochester NY, at the Iris Friendship Gardens there. The Iris Friendship Gardens has Louisianas from all over the world, some from NZ, and Australia.

I understand from what I've read that the Professor series does not do well up here. Depending on their heritage, some are much more hardy than others. Some LAs are native to Lousiana, and some native as far up as Ohio. The ones that are not as hardy, I still get good growth, just don't get flowering.

Here's a picture I took of some in Rochester, which would be a colder zone than you.

And they are a rhizomatous iris, not a bulbous one. Much like the siberians and JIs.

Don't buy them from Brecks. Buy from one of the growers. I would suggest Iris City, Aitkens Salmon Creek or even one of the Louisiana iris growers.