Help with where to plant, please? (sun/shade, sml/lg, etc.)

Baton Rouge, LA

Hello again! If you read my last thread, you'll know I'm a clematis newbie but an experienced gardener. I'm growing in Zone 8b, in the hot humid Southern sun of Louisiana. I would very much appreciate input on where to plant each of these clematis, if you have experience with any of them. I know the general rule is sun for the tops with shade for the roots, but I've seen other threads where cultivars such as Hagley Hybrid are recommended for parital shade areas as opposed to full sun. Soooo, I'm wondering which of these cultivars have "tricks" that I should know about before planting. I have areas in my yard that span the range... full shade, partial shade, morning sun only, afternoon sun only, and full sun all day. I would also like to know which ones can stay happy on a smaller trellis versus those that are monsters wanting more and more space. I know the montanas want lots of space, and they will be trained along the fenceline on some chains that span the width of our entire backyard. For the others, I'm not sure what they would desire. I can accomodate any of the clematis needs if I know where to put them before planting. =)

Help, please? Below is the list of clems that I have ordered. The only ones that are already planted are the Hagley Hybrid, in an area with partial shade... and the Clematis crassifolia, in an area that gets full sun all day (with root balls shaded by lower growing plants). I would appreciate any help you guys can provide. Thanks!!! Ev =)

From Brushwood Nursery-
Clematis 'Baltyk'
Clematis 'Huldine'
Clematis 'Mrs Cholmondeley' - partial shade/Northern exposure
Clematis 'Romantika'
Clematis 'Viola'
Clematis 'Violet Charm'

From Joy Creek Nursery-
Clematis 'Clair de Lune'
Clematis 'Gillian Blades'
Clematis 'Kakio' (aka 'Pink Champagne')
Clematis montana 'Grandiflora' - partial shade
Clematis montana 'Rubens Pink Perfection' - partial shade
Clematis montana 'Rubens Superba' - partial shade
Clematis montana 'Rubens Tetrarose' - partial shade
Clematis 'Snow Queen'
Clematis 'Westerplatte'

From Silver Star Vinery-
Clematis 'Frankie'
Clematis montana 'Wilsonii' - partial shade

From Garden Crossings-
Clematis 'Blue Lights'
Clematis 'Climador'
Clematis 'Marie Louise Jensen'
Clematis 'Mayleen' (finally found someone with it in stock!)
Clematis 'Pink Climador'
Clematis 'Ruutel'

And here's what I picked up locally:

From Clegg's -
Clematis 'Hagley Hybrid' - partial shade/Northern exposure
Clematis 'Henryi' - partial shade/Northern exposure
Clematis 'Nelly Moser' - partial shade/Northern exposure
Clematis 'Niobe'
Clematis 'Rouge Cardinal'

From Naylor's -
Clematis crassifolia
Clematis 'Ernest Markham'
Clematis 'Jackmanii'
Clematis 'John Paul II'

This message was edited Apr 13, 2009 12:51 AM

Thumbnail by BlissfulGarden
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Congrats on your selection of clematis! I've but a few and my experience is limited to a few. For instance, Jackmanii can be very vigorous in a sunny area or partial shade. Most of mine are in partial shade since I love big trees, and sunny gardening spots has become something of a premium.

Others hasn't chimming in due to the busy Holidays. Hope you'll get more feedback soon.
Kim

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW..your gardens one day will be spectacular with all those clematis..Instead of complicating the sighting choices for your Clematis ...let me make it easy by breaking them down into pruning types and their "Southern Survival Spots"...Your Pruning types 1 such as your Montana's can take full sun..BUT remember since we have very wet winters..Don't plant where there will be any standing water ..People have lost them for that reason..they love to be moist like their other relatives but not as well as they can flourish in a tad bit drier soil and especially during winter...Pruning group 2's are the ones that do best in 6-8 hours of morning sun as they will droop the worse in our hot evening sun unless you are vigilent about watering them or if you have a sprinkler system or if you have them in filtered light during our hot afternoons..that is what I have found works best for me..Pruning group 3's are the toughest of the group..they adore as much sun..either morning or afternoon so long as it's 6-8 hours..and they do like to stay moist...I hope this makes sense and helps..I will tell you one thing about "Blue Light"..I tried growing it in morning sun and ended up having one survive with filtered light under my Pergola and some evening sun..who'da figgered huh?..The one in the morning sun wilted..and I am still praying she comes back this year...Happy Planting...and Please share pics..we just love seeing the transformation and will be a joy for you to look back in years to come to see your hard work come to fruition...Jeanne
ps...remember to plant 2-4 inches deeper than the pots they come in and to mulch..making sure to pull the mulch away from touching the vines..as that will cause fungal problems and planting deeper ensures their moisture..I also will plant at a slight 45* angle towards what I want them to grow onto and remember to make sure the first set of leaf axils are in the soil by planting deeper as they will root as well and give you a stronger plant.

This message was edited Apr 12, 2009 6:38 PM

Delaware, OH

you are in a great zone for clems i love the array you have chosen. only advice i can add to that already given is make sure you attach good lablels or markers and (in case they come off) back up with a good drawing of the area and what is planted where. this will be of be of help as will records of what shows growth, bloom time etc.
american clematis society has a nice bloom chart, i have attached one. may be helpful. have fun on your clematis journey!

Delaware, OH

oops. tried to attach it, but dg site format choice is limited. here it is ion pdf, if this does not attach i will give up. just showing it as a sample, easy to make your own charts for tracking.

Baton Rouge, LA

Guru, thanks for the heads-up. I just joined the American Clematis Society online and really appreciate the info I found on their site. I looked at the ratings, though, and am a bit concerned. It appears that Joy Creek does not have a very good rating on their Buyers' Guide. Should I be concerned about the quality of the ones I ordered from them?

Thanks for any info!

Delaware, OH

i have ordered at least twice from joy creek and have a large order in for may delivery with them. everything i got last year is up and sprouting. some tricky ones in the group, (wada's primrose, ordoriba, pamela recta, lemon bells). i have had good service and good plants from them...nice size etc. i give them a very good rating for sure. and they have an amazing selection for sure. just amazing.

Baton Rouge, LA

Thanks for the reply, Guru. I feel much better about my order then! You are correct about their selection. Most of the cultivars I'm getting from them were not offered or out of stock elsewhere, so I was happy to find them!

Delaware, OH

and as of 10 days ago the web site listing of what was out of stock was not updated(it may be now) . i have not gotten my confirm back on what they are shipping me, as i ordered some out of stocks. talked to them and they told me it was not current at that time and i would soon be informed of what they are shipping.
they are reputable and very nice too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.