Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: Help with where to plant, please? (sun/shade, sml/lg, etc.), 1 by BlissfulGarden

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright BlissfulGarden

Subject: Help with where to plant, please? (sun/shade, sml/lg, etc.)

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Help with where to plant, please? (sun/shade, sml/lg, etc.)
BlissfulGarden wrote:
Hello again! If you read my last thread, you'll know I'm a clematis newbie but an experienced gardener. I'm growing in Zone 8b, in the hot humid Southern sun of Louisiana. I would very much appreciate input on where to plant each of these clematis, if you have experience with any of them. I know the general rule is sun for the tops with shade for the roots, but I've seen other threads where cultivars such as Hagley Hybrid are recommended for parital shade areas as opposed to full sun. Soooo, I'm wondering which of these cultivars have "tricks" that I should know about before planting. I have areas in my yard that span the range... full shade, partial shade, morning sun only, afternoon sun only, and full sun all day. I would also like to know which ones can stay happy on a smaller trellis versus those that are monsters wanting more and more space. I know the montanas want lots of space, and they will be trained along the fenceline on some chains that span the width of our entire backyard. For the others, I'm not sure what they would desire. I can accomodate any of the clematis needs if I know where to put them before planting. =)

Help, please? Below is the list of clems that I have ordered. The only ones that are already planted are the Hagley Hybrid, in an area with partial shade... and the Clematis crassifolia, in an area that gets full sun all day (with root balls shaded by lower growing plants). I would appreciate any help you guys can provide. Thanks!!! Ev =)

From Brushwood Nursery-
Clematis 'Baltyk'
Clematis 'Huldine'
Clematis 'Mrs Cholmondeley' - partial shade/Northern exposure
Clematis 'Romantika'
Clematis 'Viola'
Clematis 'Violet Charm'

From Joy Creek Nursery-
Clematis 'Clair de Lune'
Clematis 'Gillian Blades'
Clematis 'Kakio' (aka 'Pink Champagne')
Clematis montana 'Grandiflora' - partial shade
Clematis montana 'Rubens Pink Perfection' - partial shade
Clematis montana 'Rubens Superba' - partial shade
Clematis montana 'Rubens Tetrarose' - partial shade
Clematis 'Snow Queen'
Clematis 'Westerplatte'

From Silver Star Vinery-
Clematis 'Frankie'
Clematis montana 'Wilsonii' - partial shade

From Garden Crossings-
Clematis 'Blue Lights'
Clematis 'Climador'
Clematis 'Marie Louise Jensen'
Clematis 'Mayleen' (finally found someone with it in stock!)
Clematis 'Pink Climador'
Clematis 'Ruutel'

And here's what I picked up locally:

From Clegg's -
Clematis 'Hagley Hybrid' - partial shade/Northern exposure
Clematis 'Henryi' - partial shade/Northern exposure
Clematis 'Nelly Moser' - partial shade/Northern exposure
Clematis 'Niobe'
Clematis 'Rouge Cardinal'

From Naylor's -
Clematis crassifolia
Clematis 'Ernest Markham'