Help Rooting a Nepenthes cutting

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I have rooted N. ventrata on several occasions, and it is very easy to root. I have two N. mixta pieces I would like to root. One is 2' and one is 3'. Any advice? I do not have a green house or a terrarium, but it is warm and bright in Florida. I have read Peter's book, and followed his advice in the past. Does anyone have any other words of wisdom that may help me? There are several pitchers on the vines, and I will keep those to help with the rooting experience. I usually cut the piece with two leaves, cut the leaves in half, dip end in rooting hormone, put in vermiculite in a bright shade place and keep very wet and mist. I have also seen them wrapped in sphagnum moss, and put in a vase and kept wet. Any other ideas?

Thanks very much.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Take cuttings with at least 3-4 leaf nodes. Keep soil moist and leave in a bright spot out of direct sun. They should root.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Do you have specific soil you like to use? Regular peat/perlite or vermiculite or perlite?

Totally off topic, but I met David Levy last week for 100 Hours of Astronomy (400 year celebration of Astronomy). Picture below. I have a poster of the Shoemaker-Levy 9 impact on Jupiter in 1994, and I met Carolyn Shoemaker in 2002, so she signed the poster for me. I asked David Levy to also sign it. It is a nice poster with the comet, the impact sites, and info on the back, . . .

In the picture -- me, David Levy and Dennis Farr (Former president of our Astronomy club)

Thumbnail by starsplitter7

I use 50/50 perlite and peat moss. You COULD use long fibered sphag moss too.

Tom

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Live long fibered Sphag, or will the dead stuff work well too -- as long as it is wet? I have enough I can experiment a little.

Keep the soil MOIST, not soaking wet.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Thank you so much. It is very hard to keep anything wet down here. Our temps are already in the 90's and we have only had a couple inches of rain since February. I keep most my plants in trays, and keep about an inch of water in the trays and need to refill the trays every 2 days. If I miss watering for 3 days, the plants are completely dry. I lose most of my plants from drying out. Just a couple days of inattention. It is terrible.

I will do everything you say. Thank you. :)

Neps should be in water trays, they will rot. Water like any other houseplant, keep moist like you would a peace lily or coleus.

BRIGHT indirect Sun.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I don't keep my Nepenthes in trays. They are in hanging baskets hanging in trees receiving dappled light. I mist the leaves occasionally.

I should have been more precise. I was giving an example of how dry and how quickly things dry out here. Virtually impossible to overwater.

Oh O.K.! No problem then! I also see I forgot to add should NOT be in water trays but you figured that out fine!

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I potted up the Nepenthes mixta. Five pots with 6 or 7 cuttings. I did 1 pot pure perlite, 2 sphagnum moss and 2 1/2 between the two. I have the pots sitting in saucers to keep the soil in the pots. They are not sitting in water. The mediums were mosit, and the cuttings were misted. The cuts were covered with rooting hormone.

They are sitting on a shelf facing east and get bright indirect light in the morning.

Thumbnail by starsplitter7

Looks good to me!

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, I'll let you know if they take and which medium worked best.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.