Please ID

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

Here is the clem I bought at Lowes last Fall. It had no tag. It is a deep burgundy color with lime green center. It is stunning against the green of the woods behind it. Anyone know what it is?

Thumbnail by Texasgrower
(Zone 4a)

Very pretty! Love the colour! Sorry I am not good at identifying.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

It looks to me like Clematis "Niobe"..
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=27
I have this one and it does have a tinge of green in the anthers....Jeanne

Normal, IL

Scroll down to maybe #32 (number will change but not that far down), I asked the same question. My pic is an adult version of your youngster.

Beautiful, both yours and mine.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

looks like niobe to me also. Very high on my want list. TXGrower what is the gizmo to the left of your clematis?

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

I thought it was Niobe. What a stroke of luck huh?

Vossner, the object is a solar light. This clem along with Blue Lights, sits on top of a rock wall. I was standing on top of the wall looking down on the plant.

Goodman, I will try to go find yours. Thanks for the ID guys. Your the best. :)

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I'm lusting after Blue Lights BIG time!

Delaware, OH

niobe.the central bar will become more predominant if it s in sun and the bloom lasts a while

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

On 7b zone, my Niobe is now but a foot tall coming back from the ground up. Those are beautiful blooms! Congrats.

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

Blue Lights is a smaller blossom than I expected. Looks very delicate. My Pink Flamingo has a few buds I can't wait to see. Dr Ruppel is going nuts. I can't even count all the blossoms and buds on it.

Niobe's blossoms do last a long time. I have eight more clems coming. These are rewarding plants to have.

Delaware, OH

mature niobe who is pruned back twice each season. plant usually self prunes and breaks in winter even tho very protected location.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

That's impressive. I am fortunate to have the blooms I have on this baby plant. In two more years it should start to look a liitle more like yours. Dr Ruppel has been in the ground three years now and it is just thick and full of blossoms and buds.

Blue Lights is doing very well for such a young plant too. It has a bunch of buds and blossoms. Like I said, very rewarding.

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

onegoodman, I can't find yours.

Baton Rouge, LA

Guru, how tall is the structure you have pictured with Niobe? Ev

Delaware, OH

re the niobe on the alberta spruce and boxwood, it is a 4 ft white tuteur that is almost totally hidden. i have a grapevine ball on top of the structure that is totally obscured. plant about 6 years old, actually 2 plants down there. i have the same planting on each side of the walkway to front door.
i keep it in check by pruning it a lot, early season, midseason, etc. do not want it too big. any clem can be kept in bounds with nippers and determination, which is why i never get too opinionated about "...how big will it be" that is up to you as the gardener!
i have been fortunate enough to hear the famous clem expert from ireland, mary toomey speak a few times, and one of the things she loves to say is "you wouldn't let your children run around promiscuously, would you? so why would you (or do you) let your clems?"

i love this shot form the other side of the walkway with all the blooms peeking up. don't have a shot showing both displays (both have the now hidden structure)

Normal, IL

Here you go. Mine is already 1' tall and I've been mounding compost weekly around the plant...when will spring arrive in zone 5 ?

Thumbnail by onegoodman1955
Delaware, OH

onegoodman...beautiful! drooling for the season. i have been out of town for almost 2 weeks...i know it has not been springlike while i have been gone. i shall be out inspecting the damage if any and seeing what good my prayers did. my niobe was sprouting like crazy when i left but not up 1 foot.
tomorrow (arriving home tonight) i will post any damage photos or success from the last 2 weeks. we must be clearing the gap now between seasons and on our way! that clem is so gorgeous.
do you have ville de lyon? here is my oldest clem from last year. this clem was well under way when i left town. i prune it hard after bloooming every other year to keep it under 8 feet or so, and also do a half and half prune each spring. so it is kept well under control so it does not outgrow the space allotted.

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow! onegoodman, you mean mine will grow up to look like that someday? Both yours and guru's give me something to look forward to.

Winter finally left just before Easter. That one last frost scared me a little. Spring is here to stay now. Yea! I hope Spring gets to IL soon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.