Has anybody tried strawberries in straw bales?

Wake Forest, NC

Jan: I missed your question to me on 5/30 about your strawberry plants. Sorry.

I have no experience with strawberries, so I don't know what to tell you.

BTW: how'd you make your 4-shot pic. I like that.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Picasa 3 has a collage area that you can place as many or as little as you like. It also has several differents styles of collages to choose from. I have three different photo areas that I use and then send them to documents to use my browser or to HP photo smart. I just use what ever means will get me to an end. I love using the collage though as you can show many photos at once vs having to do several posts.
So, you don't have any knowledge as to if I should remove my plants and transplant next year or wait and just see how the bales hold up. I am afraid they have seen their last summer in one piece though. They are really breaking down and although it makes for easier planting I think that they need to be replaced with some new ones.
Jan
Here is another way that you can arrange the collages.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2009 9:19 AM

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Wake Forest, NC

Jan: thanks for the info. I've been using Photobucket for awhile. Maybe they have something similar.

As for the bales, if you leave them out all winter, you can reuse them, but you'll need to break them up and remake a row, like I did for a potato row one year.

So with that being said, yes, I think you'll have to take your plants out and reset next year.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Dang, and they look so good this year. I may have to invest early so I can transplant after harvest is through.
I really love Pacasa 3 but I have never tried Photobucket. How does it work for you?

Dahlonega, GA

Don't take all of them up . try banking up some of your composted hay from this year on some of them and see if you don't have a good crop next year . Compare . It will also give you a base for the new runners to grow in . digger

Wake Forest, NC

Jan: I like photobucket. Easy to use. Free! It was recommended some time back and I've just stayed with it. It's probably got a lot more features than I use or even know about.

Kind of like my Mac!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Good idea digger. I will give that a try.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.