What's blooming in the alpine/rock garden?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Nice flowers, everyone! How hardy are romulea, I wonder? Is anyone here growing them in colder zones?

Finally, the first of the hepatica flowers - actually a deep, rich blue-purple, but I can't capture it on film! - H. transylvanica:

Thumbnail by altagardener
Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

This Babiana dregei is south African bulb plants and suitable for desert rock garden.

Thumbnail by goldenfish
Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

The gorgeous flower look like a orchid.

Thumbnail by goldenfish
Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Native Japanese ericaceous shrub Enkianthus perulatus.
They are indigenous at altitudes between 1000 and 2000 meters above sea level. This one is in my garden, though : )

Thumbnail by goldenfish
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Corydalis solida ssp. solida starting to bloom, as are Adonis vernalis, Pulsatilla alpina...

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Primula sieboldii cv. "Hokutosei"

Thumbnail by goldenfish
somewhere, PA

The flowers are like snowflakes.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Very first Pulsatilla vulgaris of the year, a young self-seeded one...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Ooops, here it is!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Pulsatilla alpina.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous pulsatilla! That downy fur is wonderful.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

First flower on Adonis amurensis 'Fukujukai'... looks pretty wimpy now, I know, but it will fill out and put out a lot more flowers in the next while!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Assorted croci... which I just can't stop going out to look at, LOL!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Among the mostly "garden-variety" (so to speak) crocus I have, I think Crocus tomassinianus is my favourite (right side of photo):

I lost the double adonis I had and really regret it even more after seeing yours - it's wonderful.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Oops, wrong photo, sorry!
Crocus tomassinianus et al:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Thanks, Galanthophile... your climate is so much milder, and the plants so much more advanced, that these photos must be like reliving late winter for you, LOL! Would love to see more photos of your garden - your plants look so lovely!

Corydalis solida ssp. solida:

Yes my crocus tomassinianus are long gone! This erythronium Pagoda is in bloom now.

Thumbnail by Galanthophile

I have masses of these self sown fritillaria meleagris in my garden and they are delightful.

Primula auricula Albert Bailey - a new one for me this year.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Beautiful! What an unusually-coloured primula! Over on the SRGC forum, there was some amazement over a photo of F. meleagris with two flowers per stem... surely this can't be so unusual? I noticed several here with two and even three flowers last year... must make a note to watch this year!

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Ya know, I never thought of the regular species C. solida being soooo red. Or, perhaps color doesn't differentiate the subspecies. Hmmm. Anyone know? (We can't expect Todd to jump in here. He's in Ecuador.)

The Minnesota Arboretum has a nice form of C. solida, IMO:

Thumbnail by Leftwood

More pics from the MN Arboretum rock garden.

Tulipa tarda

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Tulipa kaufmanniana 'Scarlet Baby'

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Tulipa kaufmanniana 'Shakespear'

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Tulipa humilis 'Violacea'

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Iris retuculata 'Clarette'

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Jeffersonia dubia

Thumbnail by Leftwood
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Rick, I was wondering where you were! The corydalis I posted used to be called C. transylvanica, but now, apparently, it is preferred to call it C. solida ssp. solida, for whatever reasons. It seems to be the normal colour for it, compared to the plants I see over at SRGC (which I recently joined), for example. 'George Baker' is another very red, even orangey, form of C. solida. Other red C. solida selections are 'Prasil Strain', 'Zwanenburg' (see below)... no doubt others.
http://www.hillkeep.ca/bulbs%20corydalis.htm#Pr%E1%9Ail%20Strain'.%A0

Whoo-hoo, my Erythronium dens-canis has gone from 1 flower, in the past couple of years, to 4 flowers this year! Huzzah, huzzah! Hmm, I'm almost encouraged to try other species... almost.... I'm not sure I want to wait as long as I did for this one!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Wow, there's that fantastic J. dubia again - outstanding! Is it the one from the arboretum there?

Yes what a fantastic specimen of J dubia! I was pleased with 2 flowers on my plant this year!

Yes, that is the MN Arb Jeffersonia (and of course, a pic of the best one). And just two days before, we (our NARGS Chapter) did our first spring clean up of the garden, and the Jeffersonia was only 2 inches high. I just happened to catch it because I was volunteering there for another function. Bobbi, who volunteered me, is really going to be bumbed that she had to leave, and couldn't take the time to wander the garden.

I was thinking some more about my C.solida comment concerning yours, Alta, and now consider it ridiculous. Of course there are variations. But I have seen pics of other selections (like George Baker), and was just surprised that yours was so much better. I think it should be named.

Would still like to know what differentiates the sspp., though.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Well, I'm game... what shall we name it? ;) Yeah, it's often difficult to find keys to different genera. Is there a monograph on corydalis - that's available in print (which would help) - I wonder?

Erythronium dens-canis:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Oh, I think I found an answer, possibly the answer: Corydalis by Magnus Lidén and Henrik Zetterlund (ISBN 0-900048-66-2).

This message was edited Apr 19, 2009 7:08 PM

Yes, that's the one. Jānis Rukšāns mentions it (if I remember correctly) in his book Buried Treasures.

Out of all the E's, I think dens-canis is the best, or at least yours sure is.

I'm trying to think of a descriptive name for your corydalis starting with "L". Can't seem to come up with one.

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Here are Japanese woody land plants.
Polygonatum odoratum var.pluriflorum ''variegatum''

Thumbnail by goldenfish
Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Calanthe discolor Lindl.

Thumbnail by goldenfish
Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Arisaema sikokianum

Thumbnail by goldenfish
Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

from an anterior view

Thumbnail by goldenfish

Fabulous arisaema. If I was going to have one of those I think I'd pick that variety.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.