Heliotrope - where for art thou?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sooo Diane was telling me how yummy these smelled and provided a great link for seeds. Anyone out there in Mid Atlantic DG land know of some local places that carry these?? Or will it be as simple as going by my big box stores?

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Me thinks we'll find them at any major nursery ^_^

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

Chantell,

Bec is right - you should be able to find them at any major nursery, soon, if not already. Not sure about the big box stores - don't know if I've ever seen them there.

And Diane is absolutely correct - the scent is wonderful - you'd love it. I've never grown it from seed - usually you can find decent-sized plants each spring.

Another goodie for your list! ;-)

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Chantell, I am surprised you have not been introduced to Heliotrope before this, Purple flowers and smells great too, a winning combination. They also come in white.
I think it is a bit late for you to start from seed, but if you are into growing your own plants from seed they are not that difficult.
My plants seem to do better in an area where there they are not subjected to soil dryness, something to keep in mind when planting them. And don't be afraid to pinch off the spent blooms, as soon as they start looking on the down side, they will give you more blooms if you pinch.
I think I have seen them at Walmat and Lowes, but they are usually pick over early since people are drawn to the color and the scent.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmmm so excited...will start stalking the stores...I'm one of "those" that finds treasures first....it's a challenge, what can I say. Ya'll gotta tell me about smellie goods - sure Bec and I have a lot but sometimes I'm (speaking for myself) unaware of the more common ones...

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I've grown mine from seeds planted this late. I just planted them directly in the ground with a jar over them to provide a little greenhouse. But starting with a plant is easier.

Chantell, many of the most fragrant plants are the old timey ones that have been around for ages. Check out Select Seeds' catalog for lots and lots of old fashioned, fragrant plants. I think one of the links I dmailed you yesterday was from Select Seeds.

They're definitely not drought tolerant and will wilt pretty quickly if they're in a spot that's too dry.

The scent is heavenly and I don't think the usual description of it being like vanilla or cherry pie does it justice.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you so much for bringing these to my attention...you watch I'll go home and find that I ordered them and just didn't plant them...LOL. Great idea with the glasses, Diane...think I'll remind DD to start saving baby jars...LOL I would just plant them in areas that get more water then others...

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Not baby jars, they're way too small. More like quart jars.

Do you ever buy croissants at the Walmart bakery? Here they come in these huge plastic containers with a nice clear top that's probably 14 inches by 9 inches by 6 or 7 inches tall. Something like that would work, although I think the glass holds the heat in better.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL...ok...gotcha! Just say no to croissants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are what precipitated my HUGE gall bladder attack prior to its removal years ago. I never want to exp. that pain again...never!!

hart, I like that idea of the jars, if nothing else it would keep me from digging up seeds I forgot I planted.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

The jars work great. If it starts to get a bit too warm, you can prop up the bottom on one side with a stick.

Okay, forget the croissants, but check the bakery. They may sell other stuff in those containers or maybe even sell you a couple of the containers. Or get the big clear plastic boxes of salad mix at Costco. They're about the same size. The spring mix is sold in those.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

My just received order from Graceful Gardens just took care of the purple ones - so there!

Bec were you holding out on Chantell? Shame on you. LOL

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Noooo, I forgot I ordered them!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm not saying a word...somebody's been a plant ordering fool - not mentioning any names, mind you.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Ahem, DO NOT go there Ms. Chantell!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

So glad I'm here at work by myself that was the snort heard around the world...ROTFLOL "Ms. Chantell" - she's gonna be breakin' bad on me using my middle name next so I'll sit quietly (LOL) with my hand over my mouth...

This message was edited Apr 8, 2009 5:20 PM

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

As you should - I blame 55% of my mad plant ordering this year on you my friend!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

'Tis just like the order I received from Logee's - I forgot ALL about it - me thinks I am suffering severely from CRS.....

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Still giggling....now wait a cotton pickin' moment... !! 55% !! Share of the wealth my homie...share of the wealth...50-50

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Ahem, I think I will widen the gap on the percentages - thanks to you I am now the proud parent of WAY too many citrus plants!!! Let's go 75 -25 and we is good!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Says she...but wait till they bloom and she catches the scent..ahhhhhhh

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I know - I see 2 minibuds on the Lime, can't wait ^_^

Nothing like a friendly hissy fight to liven up the boards. ROFLMBO

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

LOLOLOL - absolutely - Chantell & I aim to please! ^_^

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Twiddlee Dee and Dum at your service - humming the tune to "The Entertainer"

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I will graciously change the percentage down to 65-35......

I just had to make her check out Logee's

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL....65-35 ahhh so generous of you...(cough, cough)...can we buy stock in these places? OMG...I hope no one visits me that allergic to flowers, pollen etc. - - have mercy...can you imagine?

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Hey - I am just making sure you catch up and we are 50-50 again :-)

Quote DH - "you two are out of control" :-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL...tell Gregory :-l ~~~ PLUS tell him HOW much shipping we've saved over the past 2 months alone

This message was edited Apr 8, 2009 11:26 PM

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

"You two ARE out of control" and we LOVE it! LOL Chantell, I'm thinking about trying a few Heliotrope this year myself :) I used to grow it years ago and the fragrance was heavenly! OMG, I still remember a garden tour I went on along the coast of Maine years ago. The formal garden had a whole border of Heliotrope - OMG, I thought I WAS in heaven!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Well now Debbie if it has YOUR seal of approval I'm even that more excited to get it....LOVE my fragrants!!!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Don't forget - we are "passionate" about our plants, not obsessed!

Reply from Gregory - "Brilliant!" ^_^ (to both your reply AND the use of his full name!)

Shenandoah Valley, VA

A whole border of heliotrope! Wow, they'd have had to drag me away from that.

Bec and Chantell, there's nothing wrong with scratching your plant itch. LOL

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

IF I get a job at Merrifield might be more then an itch..."Houston we have a problem"

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Maybe you should just go straight to having them pay you in plants. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.