More Iris Photos

Winnsboro, TX

A couple more pictures to look at. Global Warming I think???
It took me an hour to remember how I did this last night. I told ya'll I'm terrible at this stuff. LOL
Marian

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

Bengal Tiger

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

One of the critters on the feeder that you put corn on. These little wheels will give both you and the squirrels hours of entertainment. The wheel turns from the weight of the critter and it's so cute to watch them.

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

A few irises I bought from Cooley's a couple of years ago. I think I bought around 100 from them at that time. Besides several others sources.

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

I'm not doing to well tonight at trying to post these pictures. My one cell brain is mal-functioning tonight. Anyway this sign sums me up. I'm trying to locate my other iris photos and I'm so terrible at the computer I can't find them. LOL

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

Well I guess I'll stop since I can't figure out how to get back to my iris photos. I'm sorry! I do have some wonderful shots of butterflies too. It's terrible being old and not remember how to do things!
Marian

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

The more you do it Marian, the easier it gets......that's what I keep telling myself anyways!

Beautiful photo's, I love the first iris!

Winnsboro, TX

How my iris beds looked a couple of years ago.

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

I guess it would help if I clicked on the right photo. LOL

This of course was when I first started growing irises and keeping up with their names. To be very honest with everyone I think it's a pain in the rear-end to keep everything marked and planted like this. Although I have over 500 named irises in this bed and it's very beautiful when the entire field is in bloom, I really enjoy my irises that are tucked into beds with other plants in them much more.
That of course is my personal preference. I just hate having those little name tags sticking up EVERYWHERE. They are so hard to weed around and so forth.

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

I'll try to take a couple of photos of this same garden in bloom tomorrow or the next day so ya'll can see how far it's come in the past two years. All the grass is now gone and tons more irises added along with pink dogwoods at the far end of it. Let's just say that it doesn't look anything like this anymore. Maybe I already have a photo of it in bloom if so I'll find it and post it next.
Marian

Winnsboro, TX

I think this is one of my small iris beds but I can't tell from the little icon.

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

First year of blooming in this particular small field.

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

next

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

another

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

a few blooms

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

Irises Irises everywhere

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

a few more irises

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

Bog Irises

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

Not a very good picture but can you guess what this ones name is. I think the first name starts with an F. and the last name starts with a T. LOL
Dmail if you know the name.
Marian

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

another lovely iris scene

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

Just a few iris in bloom

Thumbnail by lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

That's it for tonight, I'm tired and I've practiced posting pictures until I'm black and blue in the face.
I still have trouble getting to and finding the albums and so forth that they are in. I'm sorry if I'm boring any of you but I need to practice posting photos over and over until it sticks in my head. (hopefully). I was able to learn one thing new tonight and that was that I could change the size of the thingy I was looking at and make them large enough that I could at least tell if it was irises in the photo or something else.

Hopefully the big freeze tonight will stay a little north of me and spare my lovely irises on my time.
Happy Gardening, until we post again.
Marian

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Marian, Your Iris's and gardens are beautiful! Keep on posting beautiful pictures. Your an inspiration !

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

Excellent Job!!!!!!!!!!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

It is lovely to see iris when ours still aren't even close to blooming.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I love before and after photos!

great job!

Santa Ynez, CA

AWESOME photo's lovelyiris, great job, thanks for sharing....

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

Wow, look at all of those beautiful irises. Good job Marian!

Winnsboro, TX

Thanks everyone for all your kind words.

I do love my irises and my daylilies. A couple of years ago I lost over 90% of my irises due to the flooding we had here in East Texas for nearly 3 months. Most of them just rotted in the ground because they were under water for so long. It was a very sad time for me and I promised I was not ever going to plant that many irises again. Then I started feeling gulty and knew I wouldn't be happy if I wasn't surrounded by my favorite plants.

You see I have always had tons of irises where ever I lived. Each time I moved I would try to take a few of my favorite irises with me to transplant at my new location, then of course I'd add to them from the new catalogues each year. Also everytime I moved I promised myself that would be the last move and that would be the last time I'd ever have to plant irises. LOL

Needless to say planting, weeding, and digging irises has always been a part of my gardening therapy. I would not be happy if I couldn't be a kid and play in the dirt . I am getting a little too old to keep up with projects like I use to but the love and desire to do so is still there. I just have to be satisfied with doing alot less than I could years ago and just sit back and enjoy whatever I can do these days.

I wish each and everyone of you a garden filled with Iris blooms very soon.
Happy Gardening, Marian

Gainesville, TX

Lovely....and I love the bog iris. Do you know the name?
This one is black game cock from last year. Had a freaky freeze here last week. I cut as many of the bearded iris as had blooms or buds the night before. At least I got to enjoy them inside. I still expect I will have blooms from the mid and late bloomers.

Thumbnail by sharondippity
Gainesville, TX

I have 100s of this beautiful blue bog iris, but I don't know the name, also pictured from last year

Winnsboro, TX

Hi Sharondippity,
Love photos of the bog irises. Actually I think I do have the names around here somewhere, but I'd have to do some digging to find the names.

I don't think I have black game cock or the other lighter blue that you have. We might have to do a trade a little later on if you want to.

I've worked out in the beds all day and I'm exhausted to say the least. I just finished planting a bunch of new daylilies I got in a couple of days ago. The ones I ordered over the winter will start coming in every few days so I have to try to stay caught up planting them.

Of course I have a ton of irises coming in too. I think I have around 100 new ones to add to my gardens this year. LOL That of course is besides any trades I work up with others on the gardening sites.

Someone was suppose to have sent me some Black Game Cock last year but I don't recall ever getting it. So I guess I'll have to find another source/person to get it from. (hint hint).
Thanks for getting back with me.
Happy Gardening everyone, Marian

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Marian, your photos are great, don't give up. What program do you use to view them? If you don't have Picasa3, you can download it for free. It is a program from Google and works very well with finding where your graphic files are hiding out. You can download it from here: http://picasa.google.com/ Just make sure you read some of the directions after you install Picasa3.

Our iris as of 4/2/2009. Maybe we will have some blooms by May. The vacant spots are where iris have given up the ghost because of the winters and winds. All are Cooley's.

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Well,I don't have the beautiful iris gardens you ladies have but here's a couple that are blooming for me now. Named but darned if I remember what. My tags always fade or disappear.

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I loved the combo of the blue and mini yellow daffs

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I don't know what type this dwarf is. Everyone around here call them poor man's orchid.

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

My earliest blooming iris "Hot Chocolate"

Thumbnail by bigred
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Happyjack-I'll bet that is gorgeous in bloom!

Bigred-love your poorman's iris

Gainesville, TX

I would absolutely LOoooooooVE to trade you some bog iris. Black Gamecock and the nameless blue

Gainesville, TX

pics of a few of the rescued ones

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.