ID Help

Downingtown, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi,

We've had this shrubby bush in our yard since before we moved in a couple of years ago. The previous home owner wasn't a gardener (or outside person by any means), but it seems like owners before were. As I have been cleaning up our beds I have found some nice well established native plants. I am hopeful that this bush is one of them, but I am not sure what it is. This is the first time it has shown any flowers.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
josh

Thumbnail by jec6
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

It looks like one of the 'P.J.M.' cultivars of Rhododendron. Growing kind of poorly for some reason, maybe too dry or too shady or grass growing over the roots?
I have a small one, I like it so far - the leaves have a nice purple color in winter and early spring.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Josh, is that a recent photo? In other words, it's in bloom right now?

Spring-blooming Camellia?

Downingtown, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Wrightie,

I took the picture on Monday, so yes the blooms are just starting to emerge. Thanks for the suggestion on ID, I'll look it up.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Hey Josh, we missed your birthday by a day! Happy Belated Birthday :) I'd tend to agree with claypa, the purple hue of the foliage is a good indicator of the PJM Rhododendrons. One of their admirable traits is they don't normally need pruning. However, if yours has been neglected for some time, this article might give you some useful information if you decide to take the plunge! http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/articles/three-ways-prune-rhododendrons.aspx?nterms=74872nterms=74872

Edited: Well that's weird, the link didn't work properly? Try this and click on the third link on the page :) http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us&q=%27pruning+rhododendron+pjm%27

This message was edited Apr 9, 2009 6:27 PM

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow, I sort of ruled out Rhodo's just because the bloom time and zone don't seem right. Interesting.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

wrightie, the PJM's are early bloomers, started about two weeks ago here so considering Josh's location, I think claypa is right on :)

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the info.!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.