What are Dutch Iris?

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I think I will get them from Scheepers or Brent and Beckys this fall. I had e-mailed Brent & Beckys today and they ansered within afew minutes. I asked about hardiness and they said that if I was in the milder regions of zone six fall planting should be fine. I am a zone 6/7 so should be ok.

I just am so taken by these Dutch Iris, I can not believe I never even knew what they were before I started hanging out here on the Iris forum.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

And Rita, the Dutch iris are actually a bulb and planted like one - just like you would a tulip or daff though maybe not so deep. The bulbs are not large and are oblong so very easy to plant quickly. I stick my thumb in the soil up to where it meets my hand and voila there's my DI hole, perfect depth! LOL

Great idea of sticking your thumb down into the soil for planting. I wish I had known about the Dutch Iris last fall. Oh well.

South Hamilton, MA

Remember, Sheepers has a $35 minimum total order. You could go in with someone.

It will not be a problem as I am sure I can find lots of things that I want. Besides I will be spending more than that because I want these in bulk. The cheepo $18.00 spring ordered ones were just to see if I could get them now.

I recieved an e-mail "update" from Brecks this morning. This is what it said-

"Thank you again for shopping at Breck's. The items listed below
have been packaged at our facilities in the Netherlands and placed
in a special climate-controlled container. Allow 21 to 25 days
for ocean shipping and clearance through customs."

So my Dutch Iris are taking an ocean voyage and then what? I figgure after they get to the US they still have to be packaged up and shipped here. I doubt that I will ever order anything from this company again.

(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

did you get any from bulbs direct. they shipped mine fast . and i got some neat ones

Thumbnail by iris28
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Just my opinion, but.....

Brecks, Van Bourgondien, Dutch Gardens, etc, all similar ways of doing business and overpriced/under quality for what you get. I only use two "brokers" for large qtys of bulbs anymore and those are John Scheepers/VanEngelen or Brent and Becky.

Thats were I should have ordered from. I wonder if its too late to plant in the spring?

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Rita,

I have always planted Dutch Irises in the fall and so really cannot answer that one - maybe others here who have tried spring planting of that bulb can comment? About the only bulb I would plant in either spring or fall would be the lilium.

That is a beautiful iris/great shot, Iris28...nice job.

This message was edited May 12, 2009 12:32 PM

(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

i planted all mine in the spring , they bloomed in july and this year they are back on track

Surprise of surprises. My Dutch Iris came today and I just planted them. Its not like I had so many to do as I only bought 40 of them to try them out.

I don't know how many of you plant veggies too, specificly onions but these looked very similiar to the little onion sets you can find around to buy in the spring. I felt like I was planting onion sets, thats for sure.

Now to see if they will come up. I am sure that they should have been planted much earlier in the spring than this as I think I read somewhere that they should bloom sometime around Mothers day. Not gonna happen :-((

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.