It's April - what's springing up for you?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We may not love the April showers but the sunshine is welcome and seeing our favorite plants returning is always a pleasure as are new arrivals.

What are you finding in your garden or on your doorstep? All those orders we placed during winter are due to arrive soon and it would be nice to see your new plants.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just posted intrest in the perennial co-op and will hope to get Hemerocallis Storm of the Century to go with Baptisia Purple Smoke and Apricot Foxgloves from American Meadows.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Wow ! I hope you get it. That color combo is great !

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

me too I canceled my Purple Smoke order from American Meadows and a DG'er will send one in late April

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Here are my first two Clematis blooms. This is Dawn.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

This is Pink Champagne.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's one of the Pacific Coast hybrid irises.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I have two Pleiones in bloom in my alpine boxes.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

And there's this one. These are really tiny plants.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's a pretty species Azalea. It grows at a strange angle, so I had to take the picture at a strange angle.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I had to hold my breath the whole time I took this picture of one of the lilacs. I wish I could send you the fragrance (just so I wouldn't have to smell it).

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Those are really beautiful ZuZu

Zuzu, they're all so beautiful. The Pleiones are gorgeous gems. Are they related to orchids?

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Ahhh, send me a bloom of that lilac!!
My big euphorbias are in full bloom.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

And few new ranunculus, like this soft creamy yellow one.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

A fancy leafed pelargonium

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

A blue eyed yellow Osteospermum

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am jonzen for osteospermums

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

Ahhh, caught a whiff of the lilacs.

A few blooms here, but we have frost warnings for tonight so I thought I would get out in the rain this morning so you could see my wisteria before the blooms end up covering the path beneath its feet.

Thumbnail by Sharran

And my tulip from Saturday...

And yes, it is the only tulip I have blooming so I will show it every chance I get.

Thumbnail by Sharran

Euphorbia, also from Saturday.

And it is so hardy, doubt the frost will even touch it.

Thumbnail by Sharran

Last, both the Redbud on the left and the JM on the right were damaged in the major ice storm of about 9 weeks ago, but seem to be doing very well. You can also see the broken tree between them, greening out, but badly damaged, too. It is on my neighbor's lot, and I doubt if he would look kindly on my going over with a chainsaw.

Thumbnail by Sharran
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Oh, what beautiful blooms, everyone!! Do you think there's a gardener alive who doesn't like Spring best of all the seasons???? It's just so exciting to see everything waking up and brightening the dull and mundane!!! Nice shots!!!

Hi DB, bet your northern domain is waking up, too.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Hi Sharon. I'm getting anxious to get back and see what's what there. Is it absolutely gorgeous right now in Kentucky? Too hot here for me.......we're mentally shifting north already, but we won't leave until the end of the month. Happy Spring!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Lilac time is May here big festival in Highland Park.
So nice to see yours Sharran,tulips too.

It is beautiful here, but might not be by this time tomorrow. Usually though, it does not get as cold as predicted, but I learned the hard way when the ice storm hit. So we will see what tonight's cold temps bring in their wake.
Safe trip, Louise.

Funny thing about this location, JoAnn, I do love it, but things like lilacs are hard for me to grow. They love springtime here, but as suddenly as the blink of an eye, spring can turn into a hot, dry summer, and lilacs simply do not like those sudden changes. I wish I could have them, but I have killed so many, I hate to even try again. More toward central KY, they are much happier. On the other hand, little things like columbines love me, and they generally need cooler temps too...so who knows? And hydrangea. For the life of me, I cannot have one bit of success with hydrangea, yet my neighbor's is lovely. So it must be me.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Sharon! As to the ice storms - the guy who looks after our house in NH called last night and mentioned that we have a lot of clean-up to do from the ice storm. Yuk. The lucky thing though is that none of the big, fallen limbs hit our house or my garden playhouse shed! Whew!
Stay warm in the coming cold front! (I can't wait for it to get here!)

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I can smell that lilac!!!!!

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Better you than I, Sharon and Polly. I run past the lilacs, holding my nose. The only thing worse is the Philadelphus.

Sue, I'll send down a bouquet with Kassia on Wednesday. I have some white lilacs in bloom now too.

Yes, Pirl, Pleiones are in the Orchid family. They're very, very small and they're supposed to be hard to grow, but they seem to love my alpine boxes, which have great drainage because they have hardly any soil in them at all. They're filled with a mixture of gravel, aquarium sand, perlite, and cactus planting mix.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It snowed last night.It looks like Feb. again.
I know it will melt in a day but all the white is really depressing.

Worcester, MA

In order of appearence: Snowdrops, iris, crocus, sqill, daffodils so far. I'm lucky I'm in a sunny area.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have an Iris order coming this week.
Just had to work out where they will go and what the combo plants will look like with them
Cascade Spice JI.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Next Center of attention

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

this one Glimmer and Glamour JI with hardy geranium Actaea Brunette,Ligularia and Belemcanda

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

forth of six Imperial Magic with Agastache Apricot,JI Night Angel,Baptisia Purple smoke.
ALL Japanese Iris are from "Siberian Iris gardens"

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

almost done JI Picotee with Persicaria,Astilbe noid
and OP Royal Wedding

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

last is a siberian combo
Chilled Wine and Charming Billy siberians with
Hardy Geranium and hosta Mister Watson

Thumbnail by ge1836

You must be so excited! Love Chilled Wine in the last combination. Did you get that one from Siberian Iris Gardens as well?

http://www.siberianirisgardens.com/

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

YES 'All the iris are from Polly
You have dmail

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.