Cool shoes for gardenening, etc.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

We came from:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/961144/

which was up to 400 posts long so decided to start a new one.

So here we are with

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/products_Sprint_f.cfm

I think these are the ones that Dr. Doolittle purchased. Whereas mine are the more ordinary Classic. I think.

Dr. Doolittle is Canadian but currently resides in Iowa, USA. As a result I am suspicious that wherever she shops in Iowa sells different styles from our store here in NM. I love the cooler colors of the Sprints, but alas, Santa Fe only has the Classics. Wait until they here in Santa Fe that Iowa is cooler than they are! They will be very upset!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I bought mine online at the site you posted above!

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Oh, very nifty looking shoes. I wonder though, the socks with toes are sort of uncomfortable for me, these might feel about the same or worse. I certainly wouldn't want to through down that kind of money without trying them first! But how cool and trendy! I bet dparson's kids would like those to go with their shirts!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I am not a big flip-flop person because I don't like the feel of the thingy between my toes, but these are completely different. The fabric is stretchy and barely noticeable to me. I don't mind it at all, which surprised me.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you for the new thread, Paj!!!! I wonder though if "gardenening" is a higher form of "gardening"? Or perhaps just making room for all the toes......

tee hee

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You are right. I see you noticed the extra toe I slipped in that word.
And kTalia, I think they are comfortable, but I have never tried the socks with toes. Actually I sort of have the feeling that they exercise all my foot parts. That may not be necessary at your age, but at my age it helps to get blood to every toe. I should have ordered them from that web site, but instead I went to a local shoe store listed on that site. It probably was helpful to try them on the first time to be sure I could handle them. I wore them last night and again today.
Last night my husband said, "Ah, a Sasquatch". And today one of my neighbors who was walking her dog noticed them. She said that it was just like going barefoot but warmer and that is true. it is sort of like yoga for your feet.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

they sound so nice........ we should start getting kickbacks from future sales, t his is great advertising. ;-)

I will be interested to hear how they do as gardenening shoes.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Well, I'm chicken. I ordered a pair for a birthday present for my very trendy, CA surfing brother in law for his birthday. I'll check them out then. :D (mother-in-law is going to split the cost with us.)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

ROTFL....now when you go visit you'll steal them away from him!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Problem with that is I bet they would be too big, and, unlike other shoes you can't easily stuff these with socks to make em stay on your feet, lol!

Claire yours still feel good? Do they keep your feet warm and all? (I have a thing about not letting my feet get cold.....)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Mine feel fab. I wore them to work for the first time on Friday. My work is not cold, and it was a sunny day, but I am Canadian, so I tend to get cold less easily than many people (or at least that's my excuse). I would say that for me, any day in the 60s or higher would be fine. I would not wear them outdoors today, for instance, in our 37 degree weather.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

How did the folks at work take to them? And yeah, they did not look like cold weather gear.....

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

And mine cover and warm the feet even less. It should be a pretty warm day before one wears the Classic outdoors. I may have to purchase the Sprint as well for more warmth and support. Besides, it has more cool colors than the Classic, which is great for warm weather, indoors, and water sports.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

The work folks thought they were very interesting, a couple of folks wanted the website, and a couple of folks looked at me like I was slightly mad, but then they know me already, so they should know that I am (slightly mad, that is). They were a big hit with those of my colleagues who are perhaps a little less "traditional" in nature.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Excellent.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

When I was in the office work world, we called our HR department the fashion Nazi's. One of the rules was no "open" toe or heel shoes. I can just picture them sputtering about this little loop hole in their rule. lol

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

We have rules about no open toe shoes in the labs, but I'm in the offices, not the labs, so I'm OK for that. The main reason for that, of course, is the possibility of dropping chemicals or something on your feet. I kind of think it's 6 to one, half dozen to the other though. I mean, if you're wearing shoes and socks, and you drop something noxious on your feet, it's going to take longer to take off your shoes and socks, and get your feet under some running water, than if you are wearing an open shoe, and plus, it'll get all over your hands, etc.

Some of the other models of these shoes have full coverage right up the foot too, so they couldn't complain about that....

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Glass and weight are also considerations for having your feet protected.

Reno, NV

Breaking my toe has had the side benifit of letting me wear sneakers to work=)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Another consideration is mischievous garden fairys who hide pointy tools in the leaves. I only bring that to everyone's attention because I have bid a tearful adieu to my winter fairys and soon the michievous summer fairys will be awakening.

Reno, NV

My winter fairys left rocks in my yard this year. No joke, there was 25ish pieces of white sparkely rock all over the yard. Wasn't there last fall. It was a prettiful gift.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Ooooh, let's all go out and break a toe! Great idea!! (no, really!!)

Reno, NV

You can have mine if you want!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That is something the winter fairys would think of duchess; leaving magic crystals for you to discover ^_^ I already miss them (sniff). Dr. Doolittle good thing I'm sporting my trusty gumboots, cuz I'm already stubbing away.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.