Ahh..some more are starting to bloom!

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Arlene, your Hoshi no Flamenco is beautiful - looks like velvet. I haven't seen this one before.

Delaware, OH

hoshi me ordered last night at joy creek, but they may be out of stock.

seriously dangerous browsing around jy creek. weriously good selection.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh my gosh! Look at the bold vibrant color of Hoshi no Flamenco!!! It's certainly making a statement! LOVE IT!!! I bet that Joy Creek sells out of that one quickly. If it's not in stock, put your name on their waiting list. Sometimes, a Clematis is sold out to waiting list participants before it ever gets put on-line! At least, I found that to be true with very popular varieties.

Irwell50: Your Ville de Lyon is looking mighty purdy! It's just starting to put on a show!

Richmond Hill, GA

Shirley, One of my favorites. Jeanne was to blame for me ordering this beauty last year.
Arlene

Yes, Jeanne helps to enable Clematis lovers!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Arlene..hey girl.."Hoshi" is looks fab..Mine wilted last year and am PRAYING she comes back up this year..Hey Shirl..you've done your enabling bit on here too..LOL..it's so much fun to get people addicted to these fabulous plants and watch them plant more and more..I feel it's our duty to fill the world up with these darlings..they should be everywhere...what is so funny..being a Southern Gardener..Clematis are JUST NOT a known plant..when I got into them 6 years ago...I went bezerk and planted many many over these years..and I have so many people walking by and saying what the heck is that gorgeous flower???..Even our vendors don't sell them except like Wally World and Lowe's and even those are the staples that are common..I am constantly helping people pick clematis and teach how to plant and prune and WHERE to plant as we must utilize them in less sun than our northern compatriots..this plant is truly a conversation piece and such a joy to share...I get my pleasure from seeing others enjoy their beauty and charm as much as I do and their proliferation!...Jeanne

This message was edited Apr 6, 2009 10:08 AM

Delaware, OH

noticed in an e mail form joy creek that they referred to it as hoshino flaminco, but COTW hyphenates as hoshi-no-flaminco.

will be interested to how vigorous your hoshi-no is this year jeanne after the wilt back last year. some of the japanese cultivars have been slow to establish for me , such as fujumesumi (wilts back frequently) and hakuooken (hardy but not vigorous or overlyfloriferous. however last year i had a real positive surprise in shirayakahime, which turned out to be almost vigorous, had very long lasting blooms and has come back beautifully this year.
here is the shirayakahime from last year. it is so opalescent, not sure photo does it justice.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

I guess if I don't know what you mean when you say a clematis wilted that's a good thing, huh?

I have an awful feeling that our predicted 30 degrees early Tuesday morning is going to get some clematis and rose buds. I'll cover the planters on the patio, but there's too much to do everything else.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here is some info. on 'Clematis Wilt' disease:
http://gardening.wsu.edu/column/07-23-00.htm

Personally I've planted the double blooming white Clem. that was affected by the wilt the first year. The second year it came back and gave me some bloom. This is its 3rd year, and I haven't seen buds on this one yet, but vines appears healthy. (No chemical used -- since I nuture a butterfly garden).

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Lily..if your pruning group 2's can survive to year three after wilting..RARELY will they ever wilt again..that is why i subscribe to the school of thought that wllt isn't a fungal disease but an inherent genetic precursor of the plant to protect itself from dying off...so the root system can survive so it can mature so as to handle the large growth above the soil line

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Will clematis cuttings root very well? Lovely vines!

Is anyone propagating these? If so what is your process?

Thanks,
Teresa

This message was edited Apr 6, 2009 5:37 PM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Jeanne, group 2. Should I go ahead a prune it severely now? Good thought on the C. wilt problem. The more I learn about clematis, the more I love 'em. lol.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Lily..I hard prune (not severely but above the 3rd leaf axil from the soil) my newly planted clematis both pruning group 2's and 3's the 1st and second year they are in my gardens at the beginning of Spring..this will make your plant focus on growing it's roots and not the vines..I let them grow up and bloom..year 3 and on..I don't prune except to shape or keep in bounds

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

interesting, Jeanne, so you just do the hard pruning yrs 1-2. Mine are looking good, but still young and wanting to sort of grow sideways. But I know to be patient. I'm just glad they're blooming.

Delaware, OH

good thoughts on wilt. i agree that the plant is coping and that survivors have more coping mechanisms...die back among them. but true wilt with blackened stems is more than that, it is a fungal issue that some are immune to. and some that have the trait come back.
but the wilt fungus was so serious a century ago that almost all cultivars disappeared from commerce.
i think the real issue is how we use the term wilt...me very big/guilty on saying "wilt" or "wilt back" when i have no knowledge wether it is one of the clematidina type funguses.
i am going to try and say "die back" for the tired and fried clem brown off that we have all experienced and save the "wilt " term for those times the stems is so dark it is black and may be more likely to be a true fungal wilt.

and in both cases hope that i have a survivor on my hands that will develop immunity or outgrow it or i can better meet it's needs or whatever.....

so far i have never had a clem who had any kind of wilt or die back over and over develop into a supervigorous plant. they live, hanging on, and bloom a little but may not become majestic specimens.
as the good descriptions say "hardy but not vigorous" describes some of these clems.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

ClematisGuru, in your photo above of Prince Charles, which is absolutely beautiful, is the pink one Princess Diana by any chance? Those two look great together.

I'm also curious about the question asked by BlueGrassMom about propagating them. I'm not ready to try it--I'm just getting the clem addiction and need to learn to grow them first, but I'm curious about how they are propagated as well. I have a feeling it is not very easy to do.

Delaware, OH

sharkey the pink texensis inthe photo with prince charles is Etiole Rose. similar to princess diana, but possibly easier to grow. not official on that. will have an opinion on that this fall after i see how the princess diana put in last fall performs.
i have easily propogated cuttings from fargoisides (paul farges) and vitalba...specis type clems. (just use medium woody part of the wine for the nodal cuttings.not tender green or old old wood.
have had layered many cultivars, and had them self layer etc.
so i don't think it is that hard.
the hard part may be the slow growth. remember by the time we get them for the sleep, creep leap years they have already been baby plants for up to 2 years and sometimes longer. so it is a long time to ale care of them in pots.

jabout a year ago jeane down in txas posted a way to grow the roots on faster in water with oxygen(even included pics)...but not really clear on that as i am not doing much propagation. only for protection of a large or nice display or similar. should be somewhere on the old threads, or you can ask jeane.
there are threads here on layering too and some folks selling clem seeds.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Jeanne, how hard it it to grow from seed? or from a cutting?

Thanks,
Teresa

Delaware, OH

hey jeane, you posted some good cutting instructions last year..."i've discovered a secret". water cuttings with oxygen.

what type of propagation are you doing now? how long did you do the water rooting before potting up?

tx sure looks nice this time of year!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

could you guys give me a link to the older thread?

Delaware, OH

it is right here on page 5 of the threads under the top of "i've discovered the secret"

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow, What great pictures! this is really inspiring me to plant clems.

Jeanne: Yeah girl, I'm been known to enable 1 or 2 gardeners when it comes to growing Clematis! Big Grin!

bluegrassmom: My suggestion would be to start a seperate thread to discuss Clematis propagation. Your questions are going to get lost posted in the middle of this thread.

A separate thread on Clematis diseases is important too. Otherwise, important information gets buried too deeply!

That's my 2 cents worth of administrative assistance today! :~o

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Here is a copy I have on Plant Trading if anyone has extra clematis.

Plant Trading: Have Naked Ladies, Sibs, TB Iris, Creeping Pylox, Daylilies

Hi, the road dept decided to cover most of a roadside bed making a ditch where one has never been before grrrrr. I am moving them to a new home maybe yours.
I am looking for CREAMSICKLE or other double brugs. Tropical hibbies, and seeds.
White marigolds
Small red sunflowers
Italian sunflowers
BLk eyed susan vine
purple wave or the new type petunia
impatients
coleus
Japanese flying saucer

tuberous begonia
Japanese fern
Hosta: Great Expections, Blue Angel, Sum and Substance
Clematis

Thanks,
Teresa in KY

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

You want to let the roots get about 2 inches long using the bubbler method before potting up...I am using the layering method as this is the easiest and surest way to create new clematis..Jeanne

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Good morning, Jeanne
Do you put the lower branch in a pot? Just wondering? My sister's and Mom are wanting a start from the white one I posted earlier.
Thanks for the help,
Teresa

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

No hon..I lay the vine along the soil...Jeanne

Delaware, OH

You can insert the nodal area of the vine into a pot, and the pot does not have to be buried..until cold, dormant weather sets in. the clem would have to be rooted enough to be freed from the mother plant so the pot could be protected or the pot buried at that time to make it thru the winter in some zones.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

CG ..is right you can put a pot near the vine and do as she says or you can weave it along the ground leaving the vine connected ..I use a pin to hold it into the soil or some use a small stone..Jeanne

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

So many pretty pics! If anyone has extra to trade please check my ad in classified.
Thanks,
Teresa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.