Hummingbird Adventures #4

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I sure had some fun with that last thread, and I hope you did too. I know that some of you are on dial up and I have a bunch more photos to share, so we're going to keep this adventure going.

Follow us on over to this new thread on the continuing adventures of our Hummingbird friends.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/965812/#new

Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The first customer of the day. Don't know if it flew in when I opened the door or if it was already in there.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Loitering over that cuppa.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Waitress, could you top this off for me?

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

A little more, please.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

There we go!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Ahhh, just right! ^_^

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Last drink before I go to work. LOL!
They are spoiled. I suspect that the hummer who was featured today spent the night inside the gh, perched on the line right above the door. When I went to close the gh for the night, the hummer flew deeper inside. I wonder if the hummer will find it's way out. I suspect, but am not sure this is Zippy. What do you all think?
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

SW, how do you take your pics? I was outside today and managed to get a few pics of the finches in the tree, but it was a chore. I couldn't even see them, just pointed the camera in what seemed might be the right direction, and then snapped. When I put them on the computer and enlarged them I had to scan screen by screen to find 'em. Keep in mind, BTW, they're the same color as my trees, LOL.

Linda

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Linda,
Where do they habitually go to? In my case the h.bird feeder. I set up chairs in convenient locations and heights for me to sit and wait for them to show up to eat. Then with my point and click set to the snow/beach setting, I telephoto it as much as possible. I wait for them to show up to feed. while they are feeding, I snap away. I may not get more than one photo from visit to the feeder, but over the course of time I've been able to get them used to my presence and not fly away unless I come within their comfort zone.
Looking for nests, I'd look for movement then use binoculars to focus in on the area. Takes a lot of patience and paying attention to your surroundings. Good peripheral vision doesn't hurt. I also watch for shadows on the ground and listen for their chittering or the hum of their wings. Different pitch from bees. Hadn't thought about it but the bumblers have a different pitch too. Hmm.
Don't you have a finch sock feeder? Find out too, when they feed. They you got to show up every day at the same time, so they get used to you.
Or you could make a critter cam like my Dad (Trois) did.
I burn up a lot of rechargeable batteries and take lots and lots of photos.
I hope that these suggestions are some help.
Walk In Beauty,
SingingWolf

Eugene, OR

I'm still waiting for it to get warm enough to sit outside. LOL

San Diego-ScrippsR, CA(Zone 10a)

SW, love all your hummer pics as I've just started visiting the CA gardening forum. Some are quite amazing.

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Glad to see you around, Seawatch! We have another thread on other backyard birds, too. Not to take away from the bird watching forum, but we can go off topic and chat without worry.

Kathleen

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Heck you all know me, we can go off topic (and do) from time to time. No hu hu.
Well I had two hummers greet me and scold me when I opened the door this morning. Then I saw the third one. I think I should rename the gh Hummingbird Haven. LOL! Do you think I could charge more for rent?
Was really busy today, but I got some good shots.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

She's watching me.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Gosh, she is gorgeous!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Even with her back to me.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Just look at that green. She almost looks like a Tango Dancer in a green dress in this one.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

She looks like a green bat, which is much better than a ding bat! LOL!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I do believe that she is standing in the feeder.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Towards dusk at the outside feeder.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Looking who was guarding the gh feeder when I went out to close the door this evening.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

He held his ground for a long time, despite me moving closer to him. Then I heard a hum, and saw his neck feathers raise up, just before he took off after that interloper. This is the victor upon his return.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know for sure who this is, but he showed up just before dark, looking for a free meal. Zoom and the Sweetie Pie, and Zipper all exited the gh (I think), before I closed the door for the night.
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Aaah, SW, thanks for the birdpicturing lesson. So, OK, I'll work on setting up my settee and it makes sense to set up a schedule for them. Makes good sense. I really don't think the finches would ever tolerate a presence moving about, but my hummie certainly seems to. What an amazing adventure!

And I'll work on her as well. I actually have a little "personal mister stand" which would work remarkably well. i might even be able to come home and turn it on after work for an hour or so each day over the patio or my pavers. She'd love that. I don't think I'll ever forget that visit, SW.

Crittercam? Nah! I'm the only crittercam around here! LOL! Just ask my critters.

Hmmm, nests? I can't even begin to imagine where the nests might be nearby. I have neighbors who have evergreen trees, which may be where. All I and my next door neighbors have are deciduous. Perhaps I'll go exploring . . . one of the benefits of living in a "planned" (in the 1940's) neighborhood, ROFL, is you live close together.

Look at the bright rose helmet! Linda

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

OK, SW, I've taken your lessons to heart as well, and finally got a halfway-decent shot of one of my resident males...

Thumbnail by imapigeon

What do you mean 'halfway-decent?' That's a great photo - remember, you are trying to capture a speeding bullet!

Forgot to add: I saw a 'stranger' on the feeder this morning. He had a dark head, but not a cap as we are used to with the Anna's. Will try to keep the camera handier to the kitchen window.

This message was edited Apr 1, 2009 9:19 AM

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Ima, that's a great shot! Gives that old saw, "Patience is a Virtue", a new meaning. I'm awfully proud of you. As KC says, you are taking a photo of a speeding bullet. I'm wondering if they like certain colors better than others. I have less trouble usually, when I wear lighter colors than when I wear dark colors, getting good photos. Heck, some days I'm just happy if you can see the colors the hummers are sporting.
Despite almost 70 photos, taken today, I only got two shots I'm going to share. One because it shows the color.
This guy is something else. Don't think it's Zoom, because he drove this one off.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

KC, does this look like the one you saw at your feeder? I noticed him today. He does appear to have a black head. It could just be the lighting, but I don't think so.
Got to tell you, I was tired and sore, so I closed the gh door early (before the sun was completely down), and I sure got cussed out by Zoom. So I opened the door again so he could get his tank full before dark. Then when he flew out, I closed the door again.
Then the outdoor feeder wars began. I was inside the house taking care of Mom, but caught glimpses of up to another four hummers working that feeder. This isn't counting the one or two that refused to leave the gh. Them males went after each other and the girls would take turns or share. Was sort of funny, well, at least it made me smile.
Ima, I did mention that I'm proud of you, didn't I? That photo of your hummer really is good. In time, with a lot of patience and batteries you can get some great shots. ^_^
I've noticed that my friends are usually most active around the feeders, when it first warms up in the morning, or just before dark, which makes taking good photos more difficult. They don't seem to mind me singing, but they sure don't like it when I move fast.
Hope we all get some good photos tomorrow.
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

That last one still looks like an Anna's to me, SW. See how the feathers angle down on the side of his 'cap?' The one I saw didn't have that angle, and his chin looked darker. I remember seeing the type before and I've never been able to ID it for sure because of seeing it with backlight.

The Orioles showed up at the kitchen window today - I think their feeder ran out. Have to buy more sugar tomorrow!

Ka, I wonder if yours was a "black-chinned". The winery up 10 miles the road named one of their wines after theirs, so they probably visit the vineyard---but I've never seen one at my feeders.
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Black-chinned_Hummingbird.html

Yes, I have wondered if that might be it. Certainly tiny, and there is a very small bit of white below the throat - not as much as the photo. Interesting that the female is the larger in this species. If you listen to the sound file, you can hear the wings buzzing. Very cool! I'll have to watch more carefully. Thanks, Ima.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Great pics, as always! Ima, nice to see one of your little guys as well, and Linda, I think you're going to end up with some great hummer pics in the near future. Kathleen, love the little Costa Rican beauty you posted on the last thread. I really hope to see a pic of your mystery visitor with the unusual looks. :-)

The eggs hatched in the hummingbird nest I've been watching next door. Within the last few days they've gotten huge!

Thumbnail by sunnyg

WOW---what an opportunity!! I did check my ficus trees, but I still can't find the nest. But since I have cats, and we have several others that roam the neighborhood, I suspect they're high in my redwood or the neighbor's euc where they can't be reached easily.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

KC, the one I saw today had a red head, but then he turned and it looked black. Looking back at the photo I posted yesterday, I see a stripe on the side of his face. I didn't get any great shots of Zoom, but I did get some decent shots today. But then I took a lot of photos. I deleted most of them.
Sunnyg, If you lived any closer I'd have you show me how you spot those nests. Congrats you;re a hummer god mother! ^_^
Got a lot to post today.
I am not sure if this is Zoom, seems to be an orange rather than red head like Zoom.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Not positive, but think this is Sweetie Pie.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

What a beauty!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Looking a little ruffled here, as she drives off a competitor.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

On approach to the feeder.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Legs down. Please put your trays in their upright locked position and make sure that your seat belt is on and fastened. We are on approach for landing.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.