CLEMATIS SEEDLINGS

Louisville, KY

I am not a photographer so I hope this picture works. That is a bunch of seedlings from one of my large flowered clematis in the milk jug. Behind it are rose cuttings tree peonies from seed and primroses from seed.

The clematis seeds were collected from the mother plant last fall . Thge tails were stripped from them and then the seeds were planted in the half gallon milk container filled with potting mix. They were mulched most of the winter with nmaple leaves from the yard.

Thumbnail by timeinabottle
Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Wow! That's a lot of seedlings. They may be hard to seperate. Which Clematis are the seedlings from?

(Zone 4a)

Yes I am curious to know too!

Just look at all of them! Wow!

Louisville, KY

I don't know the name of it. I hope I have a pic opf it. It is a mid to dark blyue single.
I have a new computer and have lost most of my pics when my old computer crashed.

Louisville, KY

I found a picture of it on my old postings on DG. hope you like it.

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Beautiful!!! Looks like it may be The President.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

congrats Time. Looks pretty successful to me!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

How exciting TIB! It's interesting to see what the offsprings are going to be like, possibly all different with unique characteristic of their own. Do keep us posted how they turn out.

I've a couple of these naturally hybridized vines -- they're believe to be Jackmanii's offsprings. The only thing the flowers share any commonality with their 'parents' is the color of the bloom which is purple. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Louisville, KY

Lily-love. That certainly makes the s next few years with these babies more interesting. I thought they would be somewhat close to their mother

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

It took the second year for mine to bloom, it's now in its fourth year. And the new growth is roughly couple feet in length. I'm encouraged to see fellow gardeners are growing out these new offsprings. They're exciting to me since we don't really know what to expect. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Delaware, OH

lilly love , your jackmanii offsprings, or sports, as they might be called are interesting. did you grow them from seed?

are they climbing with petioles grabbing on to supports or sprawling and more happy going outward?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

CG, I assumed these are Jackmanii's offspring. Since on this side of my garden, I've two large Jackmanii grown one up hill and another down hill from the site. And, I didn't plant these out, they just showed up one spring day, and I recognized them as something for keep. lol. The vine itself is more fleshy, and larger in circumference than most hybrid clematis that I've seen. It climbs by clasping with its leaves. I have to tie and guide it up a dogwood at one site, the other I propped it up a large tree trunk with other vines in the vicinity as companions.

Delaware, OH

jackmanii is an early hybrid from the wilty lanuguinosa and a vitacella of some sort however, some say the initial jackmanii is lost forever and what we call jackmanii varies from area to area and is different than the initial victorian hybrid.

that said, i do not know if it can spread from seed, if it does it would not spread true to form as yours proves.
yours looks like it has viorna (american leatherflower) in it's back ground.

i have never had a hybrid clem naturalize from seed. only terniflora, fargoisides, and similar.

i love yours and think it is a special plant. worth investigating.

Delaware, OH

the photo of the large flowered looks like an hf young. an amazing specimen of hf young.

question. how are you gettting all these to seed. you are planting them vs self seeding i guess?

amazing. i have heard you could plant hundreds and maybe not out of even that many get a nice plant with an interesting flower.

how many will you prick out and grow on to a stage to evaluate? will you do that in pots or in the ground?

very interesting

Delaware, OH

re your bell shaped naturalized seedlings .

what color are the stamens on the plant?

one of jackmanii's parents is a lost bell shaped carmine red vitacella called atroreubens. i wonder if your "sport",it is from your jackmanii is close to that parent?
the stamens of atroreuben were apparently green. (see atroreubens at clematis on the web)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

CG, Thanks for sharing the wonderful knowledge with us. Learning about Jackmanii's origin is a priviledge! I haven't noticed the Stamens on those 'bellshape' flowers. I'll post more info. on those as the season progress. Or I'll dmail you.

I've a dozens or so of various clematis in the garden. These are the only two 'sports' vines that came from the hybrids clems. Others all belong to the terniflora Sweet Autumn Clematis.
Kim

Delaware, OH

yes the terniflora does seed well. i used to save them and watch with interest, but soon gave up. i do pull them up and pot them for friends and i have some wild ones i've grown on and love.

would love one of your jackmanii sports.
are you planning to sell any?

also check stamen color this year? would be interesting.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I would consider trading you my sport for yours. Have you got one? Not selling, since I don't have enough in numbers.

Delaware, OH

no i have no sports. can layer nice clems but would nebext spring before ready to cut loose if i layer you something.

keep us psosted with photos of the sport so we can drool and ponder what throwback it might be.

but i do know altroruebens is missing from modern cultivation.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

If indeed I have the 'missing link'. Maybe I can try to cross them with other and produce some more interesting cultivars? Hmmm, that's a thought.

I sure will post pictures of mine, I took some pictures of them but can't locate them for now. The leaves structures seem slender and not as ovate as the parent - Jackmanii, or was thought of Jackmanii.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Congrats, on the seedlings! I have a few vines but have never tried to start them from seed. I have done the layering in soil to propagate them.

A fellow Kentucky gardener

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom
Louisville, KY

bgmom that is a beautiful clematis. CG, I have no idea what I am going to do with these seedlings. I suspect I will wait until they get another couple of leaves on them then pot them up.....As to after that I don't know. I do know I am going to do the same thing this coming fall. It really is an interesting quandry.

Louisville, KY

First seedling blooming. I should have posted to this instead of starting a new post.

Athens, PA

John

This is really neat..... I would like to try this.....

Just wondering if you had your jugs in the shade or a sunny area.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks for all the inspiration, John. I did go out and get the Nelly Moser seeds and will check other clems tomorrow for more seeds.

Louisville, KY

Pirl ; I have always admired the pictures you have posted as well as your posts. Thanks to you for all of them.

Carolyn ;
The half gallon milk container was placed in a box I use to start cuttings . It is sort of like a cold frame...but I think of it as my propagating box. So it was shaded pretty much all the time. I will try to get a picture of the box tommorrow. The seeds were covered in the box to a depth of 4 to 6 inches.

John

Thank you, John. Very kind of you to say such nice things.

Louisville, KY

Carolyn:
This is my little cutting box. As you can see it is in quite a mess right now. I have two tree peony seedlings in there and behind them is 4 or 6 rooted rose cuttings and numerous chrysanthemum cuttings.

I started rose cuttings in it last year (some 16 or so ) all of which rooted. This past spring I started transplanting them out into the garden only to find that two tree peonies seedlings had sprouted in the box.

The clem seeds were put in the upper right hand corner of the box. The whole box was covered with Maple leaves at the time of the first hard freeze here. The box gets a little direct sun in the morning and a little dappled sun in the afternoon. most of the day it is in high shade.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you.

JOhn

Today I found two clematis seed heads with seeds! One was on Ernest Markham and the other on Roguchi. See what you've done to me now, John!

Do they need either scarification or stratification (how long?) - thanks!

Athens, PA

John

Thank you - I appreciate the info.... I am guessing you are probably about a zone 7 or so.... I am a zone 5, so I am thinking that would make a difference. I am thinking of trying this only putting the jugs with the clem seeds next to the house.....

Louisville, KY

Pirl;

I didnt do that much to it . I just detailed the seeds , put them in the milk jug, stuck them in the corner of my little box and forgot them. When we got really cold weather I covered the rose cuttings and everything else with maple leaves.

BTW I was out looking for seeds on my clems last evening to start another batch. The rains we have had washed all of the seed heads away .

John - I read through this piece this morning. I just wished they'd have mentioned time and temperature.

http://www.bcollingwood.com/Germination.htm#Giving%20seeds%20cold%20periods

I won't use all my seed in any one way hoping for success.

Thanks for your help. I may try some outside.

Arlene

Louisville, KY

Arlene;

Good Luck.

John

Thanks, John.

Athens, PA

John

yesterday I planted out Mme Julia, Roguuchi, Violet Charm and Pagoda seeds. I don't have a cold frame, so I have them in an alcove by the house. I just will need to mulch the seeds and wait the year or so it takes them to sprout. This should be fun! Thank you so much for sharing!

Carolyn

Louisville, KY

Carolyn;

You are most welcome. I am so hopeful that all get tons and tons of seedlings.

John

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

How do you collect the seeds from your clematis and when? I have Dr. Ruppel, Westerplatte and Comtesse de Bouchard, The Westerplatte is only 2 yrs. old so hope it gives me a better showing in 2010 then this year or else she's history! Dr. Ruppel stole the show all summer long along with Comtesse de Bouchard. The Contesse was already planted when we moved here in 2005. Neigbhors have told me that the original owners of this house loved flowers. Yep, planted 8 or 9 hydrangea and planted at least 7 of them on one side of the house. I love hydrangeas but I don't need that many! Have no idea what varieties they are either. The original owners are deceased and son wouldn't know even if I asked him. Judging from his appearance and manners, he is not a flower man.

Louisville, KY

I collected the seeds when they got ripe. The seeds are in a ball with feather like attachements to each seed. I waited until they were a good deep brown and then took the feathered parts of them off. I believe that part is to disperse the seeds by the wind.

Hope that helps..

JOhn

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

John:

Not all seeds on the seed head are good ones. The ones that are much larger in size are usually the fertile ones.

Janet

Louisville, KY

Janet :
It really doesn't matter. As you can see from my previous post I germinated and grew on some 75 to 100 plants from last year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.