Picture of the Day-New for 2009Part 2

Jacksonville, FL

The other thread was getting long so here is a new thread in which to post your beauties!

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/952812/

Thumbnail by mistressgardenr

I have amaryllis envy

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Me too. They have done a great job on breeding the doubles. I remember many years ago when I went to Parks seed company and toured the green houses-they where just working on breeding the doubles. My DM kept telling our guide to keep a eye on me-darn was not able to get any hitchhikers to come home with me.

Sandy

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

Me three.

My aloe is blooming

Thumbnail by

closeup:

Thumbnail by

this is MY amaryllis

Thumbnail by
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I have a few plants blooming, Here is my Yesterday Today and Tomorrow with an Amaryllis growing underneath

Thumbnail by Darlacooper

here is a mini rose

Thumbnail by Darlacooper

and some sweetpeas, my they smell pretty

Thumbnail by Darlacooper
Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

Me four! Gorgeous!

Love the Aloe Hetty! Sweetpeas are really cute Darla!

A splash of yellow.

Stray flower

Thumbnail by wren107

Clematis 'Nelly Moser' She made it through the winter with no problem -- the real test will be to see if she can survive the summer heat and humidity and come back from year to year.

Jeremy

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener

Chinese Lantern (Abutilon 'melon sorbet' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/89624/ ) It followed me home from the zoo as one of several rescues from the annual pruning. All the Abutilons root easily from cuttings. It would be better suited for a warmer climate, but this one kept its leaves all winter by protection with twinkle lights and frost cloth during the freezes.

Jeremy

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

This photo is a decade old, the day is new.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Great looking house, Jeremy.....LOL

Hap

Jacksonville, FL

Is that a Greenhouse??? WOW!

Just now found this thread---seems I'm always comming in late!!! LOL!
See that all the regulars have been on this one since the beginning.

Jeremy,
I'm glad you posted the name of the "Cheroke" rose---hubby was was working on an old abandoned property about six years ago & found a lot of them growing in the fence lines, we just thought they were wild roses when we brought them home. Nice to be able to put a name to them!!

Haven't been getting much gardening done as have been trying to get my green house built, then this happened!!

This used to be where my Dragon Fountain was.

Thumbnail by Camillia84

I hope that wasn't your car. Poor dragon!

Darla

No, it wasn't my car---some guy drinking that fell asleep??? behind the wheel.

These two following pics are what I got into this forum to post.

Some of my amaryllis's that have bloomed, still have a few more varieties that have not opened yet.

Thumbnail by Camillia84

I have that old amaryllis do you know it's name??? Had mine over 40+ years

Next pic.

Thumbnail by Camillia84

Hey, Sandy,

Unfortunately, no. Got these in a batch of potted amaryllis's that I bought from a guy about ten years ago. None of them were labeled so every one came out as a surprise.
I do have some named ones & a few more "surprise" ones that haven't opened as yet.

I just wish they would bloom all year.

Note: flowers a darker red than they appear in the pic.

Hi, Camillia! Glad to have you join us here in sharing the flowers of the day. What a mess from the drunken driver! I think I would have finished off his spree with a ball bat if that had happened in my yard. Very nice amaryllis!

Sandy - I wonder if the experts in the DG Amaryllis Forum could put a name to the "heirloom" Amaryllis? I'm curious, too, about its identity because I see the same or very similar blooms all over town, usually in large masses of bulbs in bloom, probably indicating they've been in the ground for a few decades and multiplied to fill large border plantings.

Hap - I think the "house" belongs to Dale -- his home away from home? LOL If my memory serves me (and it usually serves me an empty plate LOL), it looks like the conservatory/greenhouse in the San Francisco botanical gardens?

This Oncidium orchid always puts on a show that lasts for months. This is its second flowering this year.

Jeremy

Jeremy I have already placed the picture on that site and other than more people wanting one, no once can name it. LOL

Here is my picture of the day. a Louisiana iris that is growing in my water tub.

Thumbnail by wren107

Thanks, wren, for checking on the Amaryllis site. I guess we can just refer to it as "heirloom Amaryllis" because it does seem to have been around in north Florida gardens for several decades, if not longer.

Is that Iris REALLY that BLUE! Wow!

This looks like a jungle of Spirea, but it is actually just two plants separated by a walkway between. I need to prune them back after they have stopped flowering in a few weeks.

Jeremy

Closeup of the Spirea flowers.

Jeremy

Just different setting on the camera.

Here it is will a little more light

Thumbnail by wren107

Chicasaw Plum -- our native Florida plum tree (Prunus angustifolia http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55260/ ). I potted up some suckers from these last year and still have them in pots if anyone wants one.

Jeremy

It is still very true blue! A color not often seen in flowers.

Jeremy

I'll take one Jeremy. I have 2 orchid trees, I only have room for one if someone wants it.

Darla

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

CC in bloom now.

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Hoya pachyclada.

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw

Found the name for the first amaryllis pic I posted: Amaryllis "Fairytale". Had forgotten that I had one from my father, went through his files & found it. Double checked it here on Dave's & it's a match.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Ger, Jeremy, I was hoping it was yours....

Wren, that iris is beautiful.

Is it true, God did not make many blue flowers because bees can't see them, therefore no pollination?

Just almost remembering something.

Hap

I've not heard that theory before, Hap, but it does make sense. There are very few flowers that I would call "true blue." Most of them will have a tinge of pink or purple that takes them away of a clear blue. One true blue that comes to mind is Bartram's Ixia, a northeast Florida native, thought to be extinct but it is still around, but only blooms on disturbed soil for the first few cool hours of the morning. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/70251/ The Plant Files photos are all by one person and they show the flower much more purple than the sky blue that I saw the only time I've seen a Bartram's Ixia.

Also, Evolvulus is a true blue to me, and Stoke's Blue Aster comes fairly close to blue, but has a slight purplish tinge.

I'll put your name on one of the Chickasaw Plum saplings, Darla! What color is your Bauhinia? I have two white ones, a red one (if it survived the freezing weather, that refuses to bloom after about 4 years, but I've heard the red ones are slow and stubborn to flower). I would like to have a purple or other color Bauhinia.
Jeremy

Camillia Thank you for the name

Jeremy blue is a hard color to catch in a photo.

Thumbnail by wren107

Camilla, are those Ammies named Fairytale large blooms? I have some that I have had for years from my Mom. I did not know the name.here is a pic of mine

Thumbnail by

A closer pic

Thumbnail by

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.