I am back and how do you get rid of vinca major?

Mechanicsville, MD

Hello everyone,

I am back on the forum after a long year. My husband was in Iraq and I was trying to do my best being a single mom and full time student that the garden beds went to the wayside. We are cleaning them up and getting them ready.

When we moved into this house the previous owner had planted variegated vinca major in almost every bed. We have pulled it out every year and every year it comes back. Does anyone know how to remove this plant without hurting the surrounding plants?

Glad to be back
wisdomskr

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Welcome back! Vinca's a tough one because all it needs is one tiny little root left behind to keep it going :( If it's impossible to remove entirely without hurting the surrounding plants, my only suggestion would be to use Round Up in a small spray bottle and be really, really careful to only spray the Vinca without getting it on the other plants. Keep in mind that you wouldn't want to do this on a windy day - the spray "drifts" and would definitely be detrimental to the surrounding plants. Good luck!

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

I hate to tell you the only way I have been able to remove part of mine is with constant work with the garden claw and a lot of tugging and pulling. I wish I had never seen the stuff. Pretty little blue flowers but oh, so naughty in a flower bed.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Welcome back!

I don't know whatever possessed me to plant Vinca major in my rhododendron flower bed years ago! Yes, I was a total newbie to gardening and I wanted something that would cover the ground quickly. Vinca major was very affordable (I purchased a tray of baby plants) and then planted them in that bed. All I can plead at this point is total ignorance on my part! I cringe at that thought of spending the money and planting these invasive vines in my garden! Gggrrrr! Shame on me! Well, as you know, hindsight is always 20/20! I will NEVER plant them again anywhere!

Pulling them up by the roots is not an option for me. Besides having a very bad back, I have toooooo many Vinca plants to make this feasible! It's not enough to just pull out the plant because if you don't get their entire root system, they will just continue to grow and spread. I've had to resort to that nasty stuff called "Round-Up". As rcn48 explained to you, it is VERY toxic to plants, animals and humans! Do NOT spray if on a windy day! The best time to spray is early in the morning. Be sure to wear long pants, long sleeves and rubber gloves that are specifically recommended for using harsh chemicals. I always use some old newspapers or cardboard (whatever you have handy) and use as a barrier so that when I am applying Round-up to the Vinca, it doesn't accidently get on an adjacent.plant or shrub. If that should happen, then immediately dose the plant with water and it should be okay.

I have already applied 1 spraying of Round-up on the Vinca about 2 weeks ago. I will apply another spraying of Round-up in a few more weeks on anything that remains of it. If your Vinca is as well established as mine, 1 spraying is not enough. It may take several repeated sprayings over the course of this year.

Good luck!

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

One could use a paint brush or paint roller to avoid overspray and drift from spraying.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey--Round Up also comes in a foam form--like shaving cream.
I have some and it is in an aerosol can....Don't really remember where I bought it!

Here's something else you can do to protect the surrounding plants.....

Get a small bucket or similar container--cut out the bottom--and slip it over the plant that you want to spray. This way the spray is really contained...

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Welcome back, life does get in the way of our gardening pursuits sometimes. Having your husband away must have been very hard on you and your family. Thank You both for your sacrifices.
I have both Vinca Major and Minor. My Vinca Major hasn't become too much of an issue I have a small bed of it in the corner and it does creep out but hasn't been too hard to keep under control. Mostly I just keep it to get starters for my window and deck boxes. There is quite a bit of it at Josh's house and I will want to remove a lot of that. I was expecting to put in a lot of work getting it under control. Not much planted in that area but the Vinca so I can get in there with a digging fork and really go to town.

Regarding using Round-up in small tight areas. Put on a good rubber glove, or several plastic bags . Put an old sock or two over the glove and put Round-up on the sock, wet not dripping. Then pet or touch the plants you want treated. It's a good way to spot treat small areas. Just be really careful not to get it on your hand and wash thoroughly after you are done.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

I once had a run-away be of vinca. A garden center owner came by and dug it all out for the plants he could pot up. Gorsh he must have had hundreds to pot. He got the most of it. Round Up got the rest. That was the right price for both of us.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Doc, I just about fall over when I see what they get for those little pots of the stuff at the nurseries. I was behind someone in line the other day that was buying some and I just wanted to tell her to come on down and dig some up. LOL

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Mine goes nuts...I just yank it up...as for Round up - I use a PVC elbow piping when spraying...just be careful it's not dripping placing when you pick it up after spraying.

Mechanicsville, MD

It has been raining alot here and I haven't been able to try the round-up. I am trying to finish a big paper too which is not allowing me to get out as much. I have one bed where it has completely taken over. Should I remove the other plants in the bed before I use the round up. I am only asking because I know the chemical seaps into the leaf but does it go into the root system and seap into the soil too? Thank you for your suggestions and your appreciation for the military. It helps us get through the hard times and makes us thankful for the good.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Occasionally, I've had roundup affect some plants (like grass) whose roots were very tightly intertwined with what I was trying to kill. But in general, the effect is confined to the plants whose leaves are sprayed. I don't think it takes very long to absorb, so check the bottle with regard to trying to hit the plants between rain storms. Spring & early summer are good times to spray, because plants are doing growth spurts, so the chemical is quickly transported, at least that's what I've heard.

The only reason to remove other plants is if that would make it easier for you to really go to town clearing out the vinca.

There's a gizmo where you fill the handle with herbicide and apply with a sponge applicator at the tip... don't recall the name, but I think A J Leonard sells them. I think I need one, for sprouting thistles.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Many years ago I used Round-up under my Juniper Hedge. It's a pretty long hedge and I wanted to kill the stuff that grew along the edge of the lane. I thought I was very careful spraying close to the ground and and not under the Juniper very far. I had a lot of die off on that side of the Juniper and it took years for it to recover, still have a few spots that aren't as full as they should be. Since then I hardy ever use anything like that. Ric will use a bit here and there driveway, patio and such but not me. I'll just stay on my knees crawling along, digging knife in my hand. Maybe that is why I spend so much time weeding and still have weeds. LOL
I want to get a weed dragon, might order one tonight.
" If you have too many weeds you don't have enough flowers planted"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.