ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 149 It's time to play in the dirt!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Old thread was getting long, so here we go!

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/963011/

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Goodmorning! Wet here....rain last night and lots of fog this morning and pretty darn chilly!

Bonnie, thanks for the invite, but I will only be home 2 or 3 days and don't know how much work I've got in store for me.

(((Dusty))) and (((Marcy)))...I agree about burying the hatchet. Miss you both!

Okay, this is my test... ^_^

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

WhooHoo! I did it! ^_^

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

G'mornin' Robin! Did you say y'all were coming back to KY soon? How long will you be home?

yeah smiley faces :)
but i like the old school style LOL

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

I'm coming back by myself to just check on things for just 2-3 days. Haven't been home since we left in January before the ice storm and power outage. Our alarm system is on wireless connection and has battery backup, so hopefully, it stayed on during the outage. The water company had gone out and shut my water off for me. They said the meter wasn't turning, so hopefully no busted pipes from the freeze and heat tape being off. The gold fish pond had a heater in it, which I need to take out. Don't know if the pond was deep enough and/or the fish hardy enough to survive without the heater for the 2 weeks it was off. It will probably be too soon to determine if we lost any (or how many) ornamental plants. This job will be done sometime around June and should be able to stay home for a couple of months. Yeah!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning all. So sorry to have dissrupted the forum. Please forgive me.
I guess it just hit me wrong.
Dave and I went to the eye dr yesterday. It was not a good day. We both have to see opthamalogists. I have cataracts...and he may have glaucoma. His pressures were very high. I have been after him for a long time to get in there...but like most of us, he thinks he is invincible. Both his parents had glaucoma....so he has a good chance of getting it. The good thing is..it is controlable with drops if caught in time.
And it's nothing anymore to getting a cataract removed....so I'm not worried about that. I was surprised to hear that I had them on both eyes though. Only one eye is blurry. Guess one is not as advanced as the other. I don't go for evaluation until May. Dave goes next week.
Just another day in the life of the 'old people'...LOL. You know...STUFF happens!
Well..it's raining here...and we sure do need it! Everything is so dry.
A friend of mine on another program, who lives near Circleville, Ohio, just had a woods fire near his home. He lives in the country. The woods behind his house had 33 acres burned two nights ago. It got within a quarter mile of his house. He was quite concerned! And I don't blame him! I'll see if I can put the picture he took on here.
Well...guess I best get busy here. Things to do today.
Again...I apologize to the forum.
Have a wonderful day everyone.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

No need to apologize, we all have those moments we wish we could take back. ((hugs)) couldn't have you gone for too long.

Now Dusty, get your self back too.

Raining here, and am doing laundry and some things inside. We need the rain, but I don't need to pick the jobs to accomplish inside.

Back later.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Glad to see you Marcy. :o) ^_^

And everyone else too, for that matter!

Morning all!

Meant to get up at 6:30 to be ready for my dad to get here at 7:30. Bill woke me at 7:00 and said, "What time did you want to get up?" So a very FAST shower, needed to wash my hair and that always takes a few minutes longer, but with s swipe at makeup and the blow dryer to just my bangs, I was ready when he got here at 7:30. His appt. was for 8:00 in Springboro, and lord knows it doesn't take a half hour to get there, but that's one thing about my folks, they don't EVER want to be late for anything. That's his 3rd and final acupuncture for a while (at least a month) but he got the name of a surgeon and will probably go see him for at least a consult.

The friends that we travel with and eat out with a lot had a rude awakening in the wee hours yesterday morning. Mark's dad had an aneurysm and by the time they got to Miami Valley he was gone. He was 81 years old. Sad thing is, he's to be buried Friday, Mark's birthday. :O(

So with Jim's Mom, and now Mark's Dad, I wonder who will be number 3.

Okay, I'm ready to post some pictures!

Here is the beginning of the pond build.

Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

After a couple days..

Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

This one shows a little more pond detail after a couple days....wanted you to see one of the spot inspectors above...

Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

And this was yesterday. Only a couple more feet to go, but now the rain is here, so there will be a "rain delay"!

Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Now I need your help.

As most of you know, this garden was brand new last year. Unfortunately, I can't remember what I planted where and I didn't mark it. Somethings, I know, but this lovely little thing is coming up and I don't know what it is. It looks like a sedum, but it isn't that, I'm sure. Anyone know what this cutie is?

Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

And this? George gave it to Dusty last year, and she doesn't know what it is. Does anyone recognize this leaf?

Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Marcy, meant to say that they always think I have glaucoma, but I don't. I guess I have unusually high pressure. Every so often, I have to go have the test, just to make sure. Hope everything goes well for you two.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Joyce.
That first picture looks like a sedum for sure. The second one looks like a daisy of some kind. My opinion...and we ALL know how opinions are like other parts of us...LOL!!! We ALL have one!!!

Ohhh and Joyce...I have severe envy of that pond. Lookin' gooddddddd!!!

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 11:46 AM

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 11:47 AM

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I know it looks like a sedum, but I'm almost positive it isn't.

You can come visit the pond any time you like. ^_^

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is a picture of it from last year, it's behind that red snap dragon

Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Anyway, it reminded me of what it was. Varieagated Loosestife!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

I couldn't see where you were talking about in the picture? Pretty pic though.
Alright...variegated loosestrife.....have never seen it. I have the gooseneck kind..plain green. Love it ...but that stuff runs EVERYWHERE!!!! And yeah..it does look like a certain sedum...but it looks like regular loosestrife too...lol.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I used to have it in the pond, in a pot and it behaved itself. I have some regular, too. I think I have the pinky/purple one...Bertie has two colors and I'm hoping for a start of the other color this year. So far they have both been well behaved. I'll keep an eye on them though, cause I do know they're thugs if they're happy!

Actually that was NOT a good picture of it at all. Looked through all of them and didn't have a good one. :O(

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Variegated Loosestrife was going to be my guess. It's not aggressive like some of them.

The 2nd pic looks like a Helebore.

That pond is going to be awesome! Can't wait to see pics of the progression!

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Helebore it is. It was a seedling from the lady I worked for last summer. Just a regular nice green foliage with white greenish blooms. The seedlings were not where she wanted them. Hers where huge.
George

Nice pond there Cookie . Can't wait to see it done .
Marcy !!! I m so glad to see you. No worries on it. We missed you :(
not much here
i should be vacuming but i m just not in the mood. :P
I cleaned out my vacum LOL never really thought of doing that :) Ha. Duh.
i need a new filter , been several years. I hope they still make them ?
hugs
sue

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Joyce, when you said "pond", i pictured a small pond like most folks have... but yours is almost deep/wide enough for a SWIMMIN' HOLE!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL! Funny you should say that Darius. Bill is threatening to put those buoy lines across the middle so we'll know where the deep end starts! Koi should be happy....

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Afternoon all...Rather a gloomy and rainy day here, which suits my mood perfectly...

I had to take Jim to the VA clinic for his bloodwork at 10 am, and have been on the phone the entire day since then trying to settle disputes, between him, his younger sister, and the baby brother over what and how is to be done with his Mothers remains...Mikes wife Sandy and I banded together, and told all of them how it should be, and by the time she glared at Mike, and I glared at Jim, we had a 2 out of 3 vote and shut the sister up...so we shall see what happens...I called the mortuary in Celina, and they are now in touch with the one in Texas...Jim has a hard time on the phone understanding everything, so unfortunately it fell in my lap and Sandys to control the riot...Sonnie unfortunately ticked off both brothers yesterday with her high handedness, and by last night conversations between the boys and then her, were getting downright mean...I just do not understand why things like that happen when someone dies...Those of us on the outside edge of it can usually only stand back and helplessly watch the chaos...It's really sad...They have all known his Mothers wishes since his father died in 1986...Why the turmoil now, I have no clue...

Oh well...I got a clean kitchen out of it...Nothing like scrubbing to soothe the frustration...I guess it worked for Jim too...He spent the afternoon in the basement away from the phones, cleaning the last of the foam backing off of the floor where we removed the carpet, and patching the cement around the floor sewer cleanout pipe... He carried down my laundry basket, and I am guessing that will be next on his list...

That's enough of my depressing day... I hope you all had a much better one....

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

(((Dusty and Jim))) It is a shame that the death or looking out for the best interest of a loved one brings out the worst in some people, but it's fairly common. One of my brothers got mad at me in-between my Dad's death and my Mom going into a nursing home because we wouldn't consider a nursing home she could not afford for very long and did not accept medicaid patients, so she would have had to be moved to another facility after a few months. He passed away a few years later without us ever talking again.

Well, nothing new since this morning, except it just started thundering and raining. Have a good night all!

family are crazy . I know mine is. I shiver the thought of how my parents son ( my brother ,but i prefer not to call him that ) are going to handle it all. THey have everthing written down and sorted out ect... but i m sure there son ! will be a jerk about it all. So be it . He can have it all !!!! for all i care . Yeah we don't talk there son and I LOL
Dusty sorry to hear all the crud going on with Jim and his family. Not a good time to do any hateful things/say to one another. Sorry to hear it . T&P for you and Jim.
T's aunt funeral is friday . SHe was a person that collected everything !!! scary. We might offer our help to sort her things . Uncle isn't in the best shape and health. THere kids are ok and will help i m sure but one never knows do they ?
not much here , cleaning day it was and my back is soar.
msrobin ain't that just crazy ? ! why would he do that ? crazy hmmm
ttyl
sue

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The Food Thread is up.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/967393/

Spring RU Trade Thoughts

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/967395/

Spring RU Confirmed Trades List

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/967396/

Ric

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 8:40 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

OK Gang all the threads (I think) for the RU are up.

This year I tried something different.
There is one thread for trading and another for confirmed trades.
Hopefully this will make it easier to keep track of things.

First stake a place at the table in Food and Confirmed threads.
Then re-edit your staked post as needed.

For those not familiar w/ RU's here's a taste.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/860306/

There will be food, plants and just the best people you will ever meet.
Think of it as a Family Reunion.... but you get to pick your Family!

For those of you who are shy.... and we have quite a few..... take a chance...you will not regret it.
Those of you who WERE shy...please speak up and help me out here.

Nothing and I mean ABSOLUTELY nothing is needed to attend but your own sweet self.
The main thing here is for you to be here and meet and greet.

We do need to get the word out.
Time to DMail the missing and let them know.

Sorry this sounds so formal.....
You know that Ain't Me Talking just the Job so.....

Be it resolved:
Whereas the check beith in the Mail.......
thus enduth my Official Posts....

Hugs!
Ric

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Ric for your administrative Duties. You did them well. I think that you need to notify roadrunner, as she lists the RU's on the calendar of events. That way maybe some who don't get here often will see it over there.

If you have never taken in a RU, then you are missing out. My favorte part is meeting new people, and connecting again with those I have met before. And I don't have to sit at a computer and type my messages!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Bonnie I'll get in touch w/ Jo.

Ric

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Goodmorning, SleepyHeads! I'm sure by the time I finish typing though, someone will have posted.

The spring peepers/frogs are starting to get on my nerves. It's like listening to a dripping faucet. Wouldn't be so bad, if there was just a handful, but I swear there must be 100's out there!

Appreciate the RU info, Ric. Loved viewing last year's thread! Don't know if we'll be back home by then, but if we are, I'm sure gonna try to come up there.

Sue, how's the family doing? Any signs of improvements?

Nothing else new. Taking the male half of our roommate couple to the airport this afternoon so he can can go back to NC and drive back with McKenzy. WhooHoo! Got the house to ourselves for 3 1/2 days! Just getting too old for the roommate thing.

Later, Robin

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning everyone.
Well..guess I missed those plants all the way around Joyce!
Those hellibore leaves DO look like my daisy leaves though.
Neal....I need to know when you want me to take rose cuttings? My roses are not out in leaf yet,...and not sure they will be? They sure do look pretty dead this year! I am hoping they are only still dormant. Do you want me to take cuttings now..or wait? Doesn't matter to me..just let me know.
Up early to go to Grandparent's day at DGS's pre-school. Should be fun!
You all have a great day.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, Marcy, if you have a chance, I would love some ZD cuttings. I'm not sure if these are going to rebound or not, but even if they do, I can still use more!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I was wondering why I hadn't had any updates....Guess it helps if you post to a new thread! LOL

I took some more shots yesterday while Nolan was napping. We'd just returned from running errands. I'll put others on the baby thread.

This little track suit and hat cracked me up. I pulled his hands away from his face and he looked like a little rapper which made me think of that song "Pretty Fly (for a white guy)". LOL Yeah, the mind works in mysterious ways...

Thumbnail by Badseed
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Marcy, I've been reading about people having good luck with cuttings taken about now, just before new growth starts. If the canes are green and don't look shriveled they should be good. I think I let those you brought me last year get too hot in their little covered containers- I'd forgotten the morning sun would hit them where I had them..grrrr...As soon as its convenient would be great.

..and I have a question for you and Darius about the Quinces: would it be ok to bring them to the RU? There are plenty of smaller ones that would be easy enough to send in the mail, but I've got some nice ones dug already that I'm having trouble finding a box to fit. And with these warm days the buds are swelling rapidly. I can bring bigger, nicer ones in pots. Good grief, there's a bunch of them out there!

Darius, I've got wintersown Leek sprouts! Out of 130 containers sown with all kinds of things, 56 of them are germinating.

Dusty, so sorry to hear of all the bickering, so draining and frustrating. Seems grief brings out the worst in so many folks. ((((Jim&Dusty)))))

Geez Ric! so uptight and formal, Dude..loosen that tie, LOL Silliness aside, all sounds good :-)

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

AAAAhhhhhh....so perfect he is! His hands look huge! I think BamBam may have been prophetic, LOL.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Neal, Yay on the WS leeks! Did those sprout from the seeds I sent? I still have some to send to Europe... I forgot all about that trade. :(

As for the quince, please bring mine to the RU. I ordered a tiny orange/apple quince from ForestFarms. It will probably be about a 6" seedling that I won't see a leaf on for 3 years, LOL. My grandma used to make delicious guava paste, guava jelly, etc. and since I cannot grow guavas here (tropicals), quince is a good second.

I suppose I did okay on the census test yesterday, won't know for 5 days. There were 18 of us, so no interview. They didn't tell me it was for a back-up list, and that all the enumerators, crew leaders and supervisors have already been hired. Training starts Monday. I should have been on that list... the slots were to be filled by test score order and I scored very high on the January test. I'm trying to find out why I was passed over... heads may roll. (Don't mess with a [once] red-headed scorpio woman!)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.