Todd Boland in Denver Weds 3/25

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I know this is late notice, but here goes... Our valued contributor, Todd Boland, will be talking to the Rocky Mountain Chapter of NARGS at 7 p.m. on Weds, March 25 in Gates Hall in the main building of Denver Botanic Gardens. For only $10 ($15 family), you can hear him and join our chapter for 2009, or you can pay DBG (?what) on the spot.

You just know his slides will be great, as will his talk.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Indeed he is a good speaker, and more knowledgeable than he lets on at the forum here. He was our banquet speaker for the Minnesota Chapter this last Saturday, just spoke to the Illinois/Wisconsin Chapter, on to Denver (Rocky Mountain Chapter), then Detroit (Great Lakes Chapter). He talked on plants of the Aragonian Pyrenees for us. The Denver talk is Rock Gardening on the Edge of the North Atlantic. The zone 5b climate is really very different than any here in the U.S.

So the storm hit there (Denver) Wed night/ Thursday (?). Did he get out (on his flight) okay?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Just got back. Great hospitality from all the chapters. The Denver strom hit the day after my presentation. I was at the DBG that morning and next thing, the city was shut down. 12" snow in 4 hours! The trip to my host should have been 10 minutes....took over an hour. To top it off, the temp plummetted to 16 F! Poor magnolia, forsythia, pears, etc are toast! Denver was like high spring the day before with lots of trees leafing and lots of alpines (and bulbs) in bloom. The trip would have been perfect except Continental cancelled my flight from Newark to St. John's (after waiting 4 hours on the tarmack!). I had to stay in Newark 2 days before I could get back home and then I had to fly from Newark to Ottawa to Montreal and finally home. DON'T FLY CONTINENTAL if you can help it!

I did visit Arrowhead Alpines (near Detroit)...what a selection! I came home with an Asperula, Androsace and Cymbidium goeringii (freebies given by the nursery owner). I Also brought back 2 other orchids I picked up along the way.

Now to try and catch up on work before I head off to Ecuador on the 14th!

What a drag. But I think I know you well enough now to know that you look at all this as an adventure . . .

Good luck on your next one!

somewhere, PA

I can't believe you were in Newark and we didn't get you booked for a talk
at our Delaware Valley Chapter. Next time you tour Todd, pls let me know.
I'll see if our Program Manager can get you booked to speak here.

Tam

Tammy, it wasn't anyone's fault that you didn't know (except maybe mine). Todd was not doing a NARGS speaker tour, so it would not have been published nationally.

It all started here at the MN Chapter when I suggested we ask Todd to come for our annual banquet in March. Then to defray travel costs, we asked the nearer chapters if they would like to host him too. (I'm not sure how Denver came into the picture.) So it was our Chapter program director that set everything up. Gosh, Newark is so close to your chapter, we never even thought . . .

---------------------------------------
On a different note, and since I know Todd will eventually get to back to reading this thread, the second Impatiens namchabarwensis is blooming now
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6355549

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

What a funky Impatiens! Save seeds please!

Save seeds please!

Definitely!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.