climbing hydrangeas anyone tried them?

Verona, WI(Zone 4b)

I have a deer fence that I'm looking for vines to cover. Have heard that the climbing hydrangeas can take some shade which is the case here. Has anyone had any experience with one of these?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

They take several years to bloom so basically, ignore them during them first few years. Fertilize them in June with manure or cottonseed meal. Their root system is larger than other hydrangea varieties so keep that in mind if you later decide to move them around. Keep the soil moist (not wet) and well mulched with 3-4" of the stuff. Water again when the soil feels almost dry to the touch at a depth of 4". They like to grow up the sides if houses or trees and tend to start blooming once they reach the top (not 100% of time but often enough). Grow of 50-80' is not unusual. If your soil is not acidic, add amendments once or twice a year. Liquid acidifiers with chelated iron, aluminum sulphate (keep this one away from azaleas and rhododendrons) green sand or garden sulphur will work. If our soil is not well draining, try adding some organic compost.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I bought a variegated climbing hydrangea three years ago in a two gallon sized container and it really is as slow to grow as I've read. Luis knows of my situation with it.

Painfully slow is how I would describe it though I'm sure in 10 years it will look nice.

Thumbnail by pirl
Verona, WI(Zone 4b)

wow, that's painful alright, thanks for the warning. and the advice on caring for them luis. I might try one and, as you say, forget it. Maybe my grand childrens will enjoy them, if I even have them. I'm seeing some nice pictures of Clematis virginiana, that are native and seem to deal well with shade and zone 4. I might try that. any thoughts on that strategy? thanks for your help.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Climbing hydrangeas can be purchased as 3 yr old shrubs at www.hydrangeasplus.com. The advantage is they are older by the time that you get them. Of course, you have to pay more for the older shrubs. They are not necessarily as slow as we might have given you the impression. Pruning makes them grow more so that is something you should do annually after flowering has begun (so you can enjoy some of the flowers). They appear to flower BEST once they reach the top of the structure that they are growing against. But they will flower before that. If they are young, they may not flower much but that is because they are developing an extensive root system to fuel the upcoming growth above the ground. It is called "getting established" to your garden and climbing hydrangeas may take 1-3 years to do that.

They will add value to your real estate too. I wish you could see a picture that was taken in the Northeast that I saw maybe two years ago somewhere. It was simply awesome. It showed an old looking two-story house that had a fireplace on which the climbing hydrangea was growing. Oh wow! I would have paid extra to get t-h-a-t house.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98594408@N00/2610849938/

or

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/ego45/June2005/HPIM2053.jpg

This message was edited Mar 27, 2009 3:11 AM

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Having been in the mortgage business from '59 to '90 I can vouch for Luis's words about adding to the value of real estate with plantings. The identical same house, same road, will appraise for more when gardens and foundation plantings are good. I've seen thousands of appraisals to support the view. Curb appeal adds so much to value.

Greenbush, MI(Zone 4b)

I have several climbing Hydrangea and I've always been very happy with them. Everyone who sees them asks what they are? Says they are beautiful, etc, etc,

I started my first ones about 8 years ago next to my shed. Within one year they started to bloom. My second ones were planted next to a chimney and within 3 years it had reached the top and was growing on my upper deck.

First, all these Hydragea can grow in shade or part day sun, They can grow anywhere in your yard. One of mine is on the north side of my house; the others are on the northwest side. Nothing bothers them.
I have 4 pairs of Robins currently making their nests in them because they are so dense nobody can see the birds.

I fertilize them a basic 12-12-12 fertilizer about three times during summer. They always get water from the sprinkler system.

When I bought them they were in gallon pots and, as you can tell, they grew quickly. I bought them from a large nursery when they were still in business. I find them very dificult to buy anywhere except in some higher priced catalog store. I am now going to try growing them from seed.
They are simply a gorgeous vine when in bloom--very dense with thick wood and beautiful bunches of white flowers. If you want something to cover your deer fence, I would highly recommend them.

Good Luck,

Carol M.

p.s. I might add they are very hardy. I live on a lake in Lower Northern Michigan and we have some pretty strong winds and snow--it doesn't bother them. I have never lost any either.

Verona, WI(Zone 4b)

thanks, everyone. I think I'm sold. those pictures were beautiful! I just ordered two two year old plants from Hydrangeas Plus. Now it just needs to stop snowing long enough to get stuff in the ground.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Wow, wadeinthewater. With the weather that we usually have this time of the year, it is very easy to forget that some areas of the country still have snow. Just out of curiosity, when is it safe to plant over there? I assume one or two weeks after your last avge data of last last frost but I have no idea when that is anywhere in WI... late april or may?

Verona, WI(Zone 4b)

It's sometime about mid to end of May, it's a short growing season but when it finally comes it's spectacular, I think it's because we're on the edge of the prairie and the soil tends to be black and fertile (or Clay, or sand depending on where place your trowel). I've never seen perennials bloom like they do here.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I've really enjoyed this thread. (I checked it out because I was looking for a climber that would grow well in partial shade. Beautiful pictures here.

Question for macsie and others that can chime in...what do you have to do in the way of support to grow these against a brick house?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Ha! Interesting name, beautifulchaos. Climbing hydrangea attaches to walls with aerial roots or adhesive pads so anywhere you can grow English or Boston Ivy, you can grow a climbing hydrangea. They will grow length-wise on a long fence or they will grow up a tree (provided the tree bark does not peel), up an utility pole, up a brick wall, etc. Anywhere English Ivy can grow, you can grow this plant.

Kannapolis, NC

One of our garden club members loves hydrangeas and had a program at her house. Climbing over her garage area was a climbing hydrangea and it was breathtaking in its beauty and size! Magnificent. What I'd give for one of them, but DH would scream bloody murder if I even mentioned letting something like that attach to the house and I can't climb high enough to make the frame myself for it to attach to, so guess I'll just have to dream about one.

Luis, my user name is an accurate depiction of my life, lol!

Otherwise, thanks for the info. Now, I'm in trouble since you told me that because I have at least three wonderful sites that would be appropriate for one. Uh-oh, the shopping list just 'grew'. ;-)

Hemophobic, maybe you have a friend that would happily enjoy joining in on the venture? That way they share in the joy of watching it grow; by helping shape it. I hope so...because if that's you're only reason for not buying one, I say find a 'co-caretaker' and shop to your heart's desire.

If it hadn't been for one of my best friends that loves to work in the yard too, then I wouldn't have a second pond in the back. She did most of the digging for me. I have a reoccuring ankle problem and the DH is out of town all week. It doesn't stop there, as she has helped me with many an ongoing project; things that I just couldn't have tackled and/or finished on my own. It doesn't hurt that she lives in an apt. So, she is always excited to come play in the yard with me!

Here's the pond that got started last fall...

Thumbnail by beautifulchaos
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Tried 3 times and failed. Houston area too hot for CH.

Well vossner, sorry to hear that. You know, as lucky as I would consider you to be in zone 9...I guess there a few pros to being in a colder zone....and I do mean a "few" pros, lol! Well, after contemplating for a moment...yeah, I'd still trade the lack of CH for zone 9 weather. ;-)

This message was edited Mar 30, 2009 9:18 AM

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

indy is cold! but yes, even in my paradise I'm bitter, bitter that I can't grow hostas, lol

Well, I guess we can't have it all...dangit. That gives me an idea...what if they had a "Trading Gardens" show! You know how they have the "parent swap" show. Our garden babies could have different parents for a week (no pruning other people's things though, that could be devasting for some)...now, weeding would *definitely* be permitted, lol! We could enjoy a garden setting in different zone for a week!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.