Hey Californians, any of you have Kadota fig?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I'm looking for a cutting or rooted seedling. I have cutting of Celeste.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Figs are pretty common here so I'm sure someone has it. Did you try posting this in Fruit Trees ?

JD, thanks, I'll try that. I'm so hot for Kadota because the fruit is green and birds don't bother it, thinking it is still well, "green". I read that this is the one used in making fig newtons. I have a tree of "Celeste", which is delicious but birdies beat me to it all the time.

BTW, I have loved your trellis and the yellow and orange rose combo you had somewhere. I love pairing two colors of stuff. I have 2 angel trumpets and then 1 devil's trumpet and 1 angel trumpet growing together. Nothing to show yet as they're just waking up.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Nery, WELCOME to California! Sorry no figs here.
Have you seen this one? Look at the leaves too.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/123475/

What trellis with orange and yellow roses? Nosy people want to see it too.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

That's a gorgeous one Kell! I want one, no NEED one!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Are you nuts for variegates too, Sue? I am so in need of them.

I took that pic at Kartuz GH.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Figures, never seen one around here.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL Sue, we are talking to each other on 3 different forums and in DMail in the last few minutes. Lets go PLANT shopping (I mean looking) and compare notes when we get home.

hiya kell. I mis-wrote. it wasn't a trelllis w/ orange & yellow roses. It was a trellis and a separate pic where JD had a yellow and an orange rose planted next to each other. What seemed so pleasant to me was that the roses looked like twins, same width, height. My roses don't necessarily look that symmetrical.

As to the variegated fig, I remember being hot to trot for it after you (kell) posted the pic in diff, but fickle me I soon forgot about it. yes, I would love to have one. I don't remember if the var. one is edible, I don't care. I already have Celeste and soon enough a Kadota, so that will be enough figs for 2 people.

I have a sinus headache that is making my head feel like it weighs a gazillion pounds.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

I'd go for a kadota from Trees of Antiquity, who've moved already several years ago (who turned up the clock?!) down towards Paso Robles, and sell their heirloom fruit trees all over the place, either through nurseries and also by direct mail. It's probably too late for their shipping season, which tends to be Jan-Feb, but it's worth a look!
You could also touch base with the California Rare Fruit Growers, whose local branches have scion and seedling exchanges annually: http://www.crfg.org/

I get to live with a glorrrrrious monarch of a mature CA Mission fig tree, and we have two Osborn Prolifics in big pots (being renters, they come with us).

Vista, CA

I just purchased one from Armstrong Nursery in Carlsbad, Ca. from LaVerne Nurseries. The young plant is about three feet above the soil level, in a five gallon pot and it has 14 figs on it. If fall starts behaving like fall, I would hope all figs will ripen. Anyone have any hints on getting this off to a great start?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.