Cutting Back Euphorbia

Cochranville, PA

My euphorbia (of all sorts of cultivars) was doing well as a semi-evergreen until the latest hot/cold nonsense. Should I cut it down? How low? Thanks

Thumbnail by amyrand
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Waiting for someone to answer also.
I have Tiny Tim and the heavy snow broke some if the stems in the center, should I trim the whole plant?

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I'll jump in with my two cents :) This has been the worst winter in recent years for my Euphorbias :( Usually they're still holding their evergreen foliage even though they might have "bare" legs. This year the foliage really suffered with the extreme low temperatures and I'm probably going to have to cut them all back now :( Usually I leave the stems until they flower and then cut them back about mid June. The plant will actually appreciate a spring pruning now if the foliage is looking ratty, within several weeks you'll see new shoots growing from the crown and by late spring they'll be beautiful again :) Just make sure you're careful of the white sap that oozes out of the cuttings. People with allergies to Latex can experience severe reactions. Even if you don't have an allergy, the sap is miserable if you get it anywhere near your eyes... I speak from experience :( LOL

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

OMG Amy - can I just say that is simply gorgeous!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.