Anybody growing Geums?

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

I don't think I have any place in my garden that gets more than 6 hours of direct sun. My geums are in the sunniest places I have, and very happy there.

Did I miss the listing for how long it take the seeds to germinate? I am first time seeder and want to know when to really keep an eye to the Ground?!!?...pretty warm, here, 70-89 in the days and water everyday with good sun~? any ideas?
:Darren

Fernman, I've never grown them from seed, so I can't help you. I don't ever remember seeing geum seeds for sale. Where did you get them?

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I found this online for Geum coccineum 'Cooky'. I would think it would hold true for all the G. coccineums.

http://www.gpnmag.com/Geum-coccineum-%E2%80%98Cooky%E2%80%99-article9921

Kannapolis, NC

Perenniallyme: I'm not Fernman, but I ordered Mrs. Bradshaw and Lady Stratheden from Donna's Flower Seeds. She's listed in our sources here. Good service. I haven't sown them yet, as I've been waiting for our weather to warm up a bit and settle down.

Oh, that's right, Angie - you've been talking about planting geum seeds for days now. Well, duh, guess I had a senior moment. And thanks for the info.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I couldn't believe my eyes today - I have a geum flowering!
I have killed so many geums in my day, I started feeling guilty about buying one.
Certain death.
But, by God, I have a geum 'georgenburg' which not only survived the winter, but is blooming.
Who'd have thunk?

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Kannapolis, NC

Beautiful, Weerobin, just lovely. Can't wait to get mine going.

Kannapolis, NC

Ha! Just grabbed a couple of Geum chiloense `Blazing Sunset' at Lowe's this morning when I went to get some potting mix. YeeHaa!

Angie

Please post pics when they bloom! I have a ton to do and plant, but you really make me want to run out to Lowe's and Home Depot.

Raleigh, NC

Did everybody see this DG article on Geums? Who knew there were so many types.....
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1930/

Kannapolis, NC

Wow! What an array of Geums. Here's a photo of my G. chiloense `Blazing Sunset':

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Beoodeefuhl!! I'm still waiting on the buds to open. We get a day of sun and then four days of rain, it seems. Everybody here is ready for sun.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

I have several, but no pics yet this year. However, here is one of my faves: mango lassie

Thumbnail by Katye
Kannapolis, NC

Katye: That `Mango Lassie' sure is a pretty little thing! Guess I'll have to add her to my endless list.

I'd like to see more pics of everyone's Geums as they bloom, please.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

yahoo - went to the local nursery on my lunch break & scored 2 more varieties: Coppertone & Fire Lake. Still looking to replace Marmalade - it disappeared over the winter.

wish they had them at local nurseries here, ...shippings too much for the wallt right now!~

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I might have to have those - my Mango Lassy and Cooky just won't bloom!! Maybe it's all this wind and rain.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

they'd really appreciate some sun!

I stopped at a couple of garden centers after my trip to the dentist today, and had to buy Lady Stratheden when I saw her in bloom. Definitely prettier than any picture of her I've seen. On the other hand, the Mango Lassie I saw blooming didn't live up to the pictures I've seen. Mine has buds for the first time, so I hadn't seen her bloom yet.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Geum 'Fireball' is on sale at Bluestone Perennials!

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/scan/rl=disc/rm=1/rx=9999/ra=1/tf=name/sp=results_pics/va=svalue=Specials.html

Kannapolis, NC

Katie: Naughty, naughty! I clicked on the link and now I have more plants ordered! How could I resist?

Angie

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Hee hee. Happy to be of help. ^_^

Kannapolis, NC

Oh, yeah. Now I've got that Geum `Fireball' coming, the Coreopsis rosea `American Dream,' Tradescantia andesoniana `Osprey,' and Husker's Red Penstemon. Sure hope this rain stops soon so I can get some spots ready for plants!

My mango lassi has finally flowered, but doesn't have as much orange as the pics I've seen. It is pretty though.

Thumbnail by perenniallyme

Here's the Lady Stratheden I just bought.

I found this noid in the midst of a ton of Lady Strathedens at Lowes. Does anyone know what it might be. Each of 2 flowers look different. I'll post both.

Another flower from the same pot.
It's actually a lighter orange than it looks in the pic.

This message was edited May 19, 2009 6:34 PM

Kannapolis, NC

Perenniallyme: I found G. chiloense `Blazing Sunset' at my Lowe's and it's an orangey red. See photo. Don't know if you might have got one that was mislabeled or not.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic

Thanks, Angie, but mine is definitely orange, but lighter than than the "scarlet avens" with no cultivar name. I talked to the manager and it wasn't ordered by them. It just came in their batch of Lady Strathedens and had no label at all.

Thanks Katie. It could very well be Cooky and probably is.
The geum reptans should be arriving in the next few days, Will post a pic as soon as I can get one.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Here are a couple of mine. I don't remember the name, but I do have the tag on it so I can check tomorrow.
I love these. I bought another one while I was visiting my DD in Indiana. I wintered this over in this pot and it came back and bloomed and bloomed.

Susan
=^..^=

Thumbnail by 9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

A closeup.
=^..^=

Thumbnail by 9kittymom
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Glad I found this thread. Just ordered Geum rivale Flames of Passion from Bluestone a couple of days ago. See I am going to have to be careful with it in my heat and humidity. My yard does have a lot of shade. Someone mentioned they have it planted where it get sun in the early spring then is shaded most of the summer. That might be my best bet. Anyone have any suggestions for me. This is my first attempt with Geum's.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I have them in my full sun (doesn't compare to Arkansas full sun) and in part shade. They bloom more with sun, definitely. They respond well to regular watering (although they don't need to stay moist) and food. Enjoy!!

Kannapolis, NC

I have sprouts from seeds of `Lady Stratheden' and `Mrs. Bradshaw'! Yea!

Yea Angie! Congrats!

Kannapolis, NC

I'm so thrilled! I have `Blazing Sunset' and love it. Have added `Fireball' which I bought on sale from Bluestone, so I'm getting quite a little collection going. I have several more in mind as well, but it's a start after the encouragement I received here! You guys are a good influence!

Angie

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Excellent. My collection is growing, too - I just love the oranges. But this weekend I also bought Blood Mary. The red is a very blue red, not a yellow red, so it'll be interesting trying to find things that go with it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.