?'s about shaping Nellie Stevens & Spiral Evergreens

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm feeling overwhelmed with these 2 Nellie Stevens I got last year. I will appreciate any advice.

These were really kinda sad looking when we got them. Dumped behind a Pugh's landscape place with no water, etc then given to us since our friend knew we were redoing the front of our house. They were free so we took a chance with them. I needed larger foundation plantings.

In the big planting holes, we threw in a handful or 2 of tree/shrub fertilizer as we were told and watered a LOT. They started leafing out and growing then getting red berries and seem to be doing ok. My only complaint is the leaves look dull but otherwise, ok and growing.

I'm new to trees like this so not sure about trimming or pruning, but they need to be cleaned up and shaped.
How/where do I begin?

Here's some pics to get a visual of what I'm dealing with.
This one is at the front door, needs shaping badly. I really wanted these to fill out more. They were this big when they were given to me.

Thanks to all!!!
Kristy

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Here's the one on the other end.
It seems to be a bit fuller that I was hoping for, but still needs some shaping.

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Here is the 'whole' picture.
I wanted to keep these pretty even with each other.

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Now, here is the first spiral evergreen. Blue Juniper I think.
These were neglected too and I planted with fertilizer and watered the heck out of them.
They seem to be fine, but I have no idea how to shape spirals. I'm scared to butcher them.

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Here is the 2nd one. Needs shaping.

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

I wanted these the same too but not looking very promising at this point.

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

And the final whole picture.
been raining here today so not very bright.
Sure will be glad when all the hostas come up. They add so much life here.

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Kristy, Ilex often go through a real poor spell, even loose many of their leaves when replanted in my experience, which isn't huge. But I know we moved some American hollies and I thought they were goners as they looked awful with huge leaf loss, now less than a year later they look great. I hope you have lots of room behind 'Nellie R Stevens' as it will get big. Very Big. We have one that is at least 18 feet tall and 8 feet wide. I know you can prune them as I have seen them pruned into a hedge, though I thought that it wasn't too success. You can get a good small bag of fertilizer made for azaleas, ilex, etc. for it, but they look good to me. I know nothing about your junipers. Good luck Patti

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

thanks Patti.
yea, there's like 3 feet behind the Nellie's but I wasn't sure at the time if I would keep them or not.

What you mentioned about the poor spell is encouraging so thanks for that.
I do have fertilizer I will work in the soil this week and the soaker hoses have not been moved from last year so they have all kinds of water coming.

thanks for your help

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

well.. seems that if you want bigger plants.. but then want these neat right now.... you'd just lightly nip the longest tips.. to let it fill outslightly.. but not impare it's growing bigger too much

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.