Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: ?'s about shaping Nellie Stevens & Spiral Evergreens, 1 by 2racingboys

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 2racingboys

Subject: ?'s about shaping Nellie Stevens & Spiral Evergreens

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of ?'s about shaping Nellie Stevens & Spiral Evergreens
2racingboys wrote:
I'm feeling overwhelmed with these 2 Nellie Stevens I got last year. I will appreciate any advice.

These were really kinda sad looking when we got them. Dumped behind a Pugh's landscape place with no water, etc then given to us since our friend knew we were redoing the front of our house. They were free so we took a chance with them. I needed larger foundation plantings.

In the big planting holes, we threw in a handful or 2 of tree/shrub fertilizer as we were told and watered a LOT. They started leafing out and growing then getting red berries and seem to be doing ok. My only complaint is the leaves look dull but otherwise, ok and growing.

I'm new to trees like this so not sure about trimming or pruning, but they need to be cleaned up and shaped.
How/where do I begin?

Here's some pics to get a visual of what I'm dealing with.
This one is at the front door, needs shaping badly. I really wanted these to fill out more. They were this big when they were given to me.

Thanks to all!!!
Kristy