GH bizz #2

Gentry, AR

here we are lets get this party started.

we came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/958477/

hay "cathy4" take a gander at dis i membered the link ya teached me good. lol

"whitebear"

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Go to the head of the class! lol. I'm so glad I started reading here, you are all so nice, I smile whenever there is a new post.

Gentry, AR

thanks cathy4 have enjoyed all your input to

Gentry, AR

here are the first pics this is my pear tree hopping no more hard frosts i've lost the blooms 2 years in a row. behind that tree will go 4 hoop houses this fall for raising lettuce threw the winter.

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Gentry, AR

heres my youngest son watering the living tunnel. on the outside edge we plant pole beans on one side and climbing peas on the other and they meet in the middle. you just go walk under and pick. the rest of the row is planted with radishes,turnups swiss chard, beets,spinach. anything that would like a little shade during the heat of the summer.

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Palmer, AK(Zone 2a)

Nice pics, Whitebear. Your youngest son is a cute kid. :) I love the living tunnel concept.

I've never seen a pear tree before--and now that I think of it, I've never even seen a picture of a pear tree before. It's pretty cool.

Gentry, AR

thanks "ice-worm" this pear tree produces a ugle fruit but taste great and very juicy not sure what type it is.

Gentry, AR

thanks "tropicalaria" for the new link in the old link forgot that part again.

Elizabeth City, NC(Zone 8a)

Ditto on the youngon', where'd he get all that hair? And Where is his WB Hat?

WB the living tunnel is awsome. What kind of wire are you using for that?

I just came in from the plastic porch. While I was out there I was thinking of widening, and lengthening it. I just have to figure out how to make it more presentable, being on the front of the house.

Tomorrow or Monday I will post pictures and ask your opinion.

Thanks,

JB

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Looks like cattle panel to me, am I right?

Whitebear, what zone are you in? I noticed my pear trees are in bloom today, too - looking forward to a *lot* of pears this year. The bees and wasps got most of them last year 'cause I didn't know when they'd be ripe. Ooops ....

Had a bit of a setback the past two nights. My pardner has all of our tomato and pepper plugs in her green house (as well as those that we've gotten planted in 6 paks) but the temps fell into the 30's, so we fired up the propane heater. First night we still ended up getting a lot of burnt leaves (I'm still not sure if it was from the cold or from the heater) especially on the cherry tomatoes. Last night the heater melted down (scary stuff, but no real damage), but the plants didn't look too much worse for it. So, all we can do is hope that some of them spring back - very few of them actually look dead, but we sell the plants, so they have to look good, too.

Gentry, AR

yes that is "cattle panel" or "hog panel" what ever one you call it i've heard it call a lot of things. but i call it cattle panels as for the hair all my kids have a lot, i use to have my hair to the middle of my back when i use to go to the pow wows in Oklahoma. he needs a hair cut going to give the two youngest one tomorrow. and he does have a WB hat but he was riding his bike and just took of his helmet and "JB" would love to take a look and give my 2 cents worth. hay "pagancat" sorry to here that. try making some worm casting tea and spraying on the might snap them back it help the leafs as well as the roots. "whitebear"

Hey... that's a good idea....

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

gthumbus

Is that one length of cattle panel? or two and how did you secure them to the ground or stakes?

I want to make a tunnel for tomatoes this summer. Sad thing is I have to put it in the front yard, and I want to start them in straw bales then let them grow up over the support as a point of interest as well as making it easier to get the tomatoes. By golly I'm going to have me some maters this summer if it hurts me. Living up north there just isn't enough time for tomatoes to grow and get plenty ripe before the cold sets in. The birds left me a stray tomato plant at the end of summer last year in the back of my front flower bed up against the brick and it was doing so great, but when the frost got here I pulled it up with 45 green tomatoes on it.......

So this year it is tomatoes or bust....rofl.

Janet
formerly owned by Blessing & Acacia

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Meadowyck...
I'm in a cool 5b zone, not many 50* nights. I've had excellent results with Glacier, Heinz 2653, Stupice, Legend and Principe Borghese. This year I'm trying Siletz. All are OP, so you can save the seed.

We put up several dozen quarts of wonderful tomatoes last year. It's all in variety selection...

Good luck..
Jay

Gentry, AR

hay "pagancat" sorry didn't see you ask what zone i was in. i'm in zone 6-7. "meadowyck" its three panels long and i just put stakes in the ground and arched the panels in between them. you could start the tomatoes early by covering the panels with plastic until it gets warm then take it off so that you can train the tomatoes up them. "whitebear"

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Oh, and I set my plants out April 15th in wall o' waters.

Any Ideas Welcome:

This is my porch now. It comes out 6'10" from the house. The porch has a cement floor. I would like to bring it out as far as the garage. This will give me 4' more working room inside.

Thumbnail by johnnybegood

This is a picture of the whole front of the house. The entryway door is between the swing and the porch. I would like to extend the porch all the way from the garage to the end of the house. That would make it 54' long and about 11' wide.

Here's another pic of the front. I have a well on the other side of the garage with the pump inside the garage. Buryed pvc brings water all around the house. I have a spigot (sp) on the right hand corner, so getting water will be easy enough. I would like to pour cement under the whole project. The main issue is trying to make the front of the house look good.

I'm thinking of using corregated panels made by Sequentia for the roof but these are very expensive. Here's a link:

http://www.cranecomposites.com/sequentia/corrugated.asp

BTW: Does anyone want a swing?

LOL - I would would love the swing, but don't have time to drive to NC to get it!

I think it looks *great*, JB. You did a very nice, neat job - it almost looks like the paper panels they used to (?) use in Japanese homes. Are you thinking of leaving it there permanently? If so, a couple of things to think about - what direction does it face? It's going to create quite a heat sink for your house - could be wonderful in the winter time, but could be really bad in the summer. Regardless of what area it faces, you're going to need some ventilation, or you'll have a lot of humidity in there causing some fungus growth ...

One other suggestion - if it *is* permanent, and that isn't pressure treated wood, when you expand, I'd suggest turning it to the outside. I've used lumber inside my house and just since November it already has some mold on it.

But it looks great.... hey... I have a porch....

Thanks Sheryl,

It faces S-SW, I think? I hope I'm right with the compass heading. It's halfway between S and SW. I know what you mean about generating a lot of heat. I used the porch to heat my house during the day this year. Inside the porch is a bay window with 2 double hung windows on either side. I just open the windows and let the heat come in the house. I also have a fan that helps.

I want to put some type of windows along the front so I will be able to open it as much as possible during the hot summer months. I will also want to have some type of shade cover for the roof during the summer.

I haven't had a moisture problem by doing this so far.

JB

North Augusta, ON

Definitely make sure you can open something. I had the bright idea to glass in my front porch one year. Used some old panels for sliding patio doors...looked awesome, until the sun started getting warmer. Come Spring it was so hot in there you couldn't stand it. Had to rip it all down and go back to screen.

JB, you might want to start a new thread, so someone who isn't watching this one can see, too.

Gentry, AR

what do you mean "cathy4" i thought everyone did watch this thread. lol there you go dashing my dreams. lol

hay "JB" i was thinking on checking that stuff out to but was thinking to put 2 sheets with a spacer in between to make a dead air space could even blow warm air threw during winter for better insulation or cool air for the summer to help keep the heat down.with the cost might have to do one section at a time. on the side you could build them as separate panels and hinge them at the top so that in the summer you could swing them out and prop them up for an extended growing area. during nice weather of cores. just and idea. now i'm going to have to go try that to see how it works

"oh no another project" "whitebear"

WB, don't go starting on his project until you get the heated water moving with gravity for me, hahahahaha, snort.

Gentry, AR

hay "cathy4" love the snort, when you only sleep 3-4 hours a night you can work on 2 or three things at once. lol i am waiting for another barrel then should be able to get it done. the store i get them from only gets 2-3 a week and catching them is like playing the lottery. i think i'm going to build a model and see if that works then build the big one. trying to work out the angle of the pipe and the level or the tanks to each other so that the water will do what i want. it might have to be a enclosed system to work. i'll figure it out don't you worry.

SOL., cathy!

Gentry, AR

i love a snorty laugh

I've been giving that a lot of thought, too, wondering if tipping them a little would help the water flow from one to the other. One side would accept water coming in, the other would be full and could flow into the next. Hmmmm. It is getting it back into the solar collector that I'm still stuck on.

Gentry, AR

thinking of making it out of a metal barrel with heat sink fins made from old pop cans. kinda like this

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

thanks Jay for the varieties that grow for you. Honestly I don't understand how these northern folks get through without some good old maters....LOL

Whitebear, I thought that was what you did. What was the length on those? are they 10 or 12 foot? Also, I have no math abilities or physics but it seems to me that both your tanks would have to be level with each other in order for the return to flow back into it.???? now back to my little corner....LOL

JB what I wouldn't give to have that on my house. I would be in heaven....

Janet
formerly owned by Blessing & Acacia

Janet, I think he's relying on the temperatures of the water - cold seeking the lower regions and heat rising - to create the water flow. I know it works with air, I wonder how quickly it works with water as it doesn't give up it's temp as quickly as air. I guess you could also add a fan to the top.....?

Los Gatos, CA

Do you think we could get a hold of someone at Dave's garden, and ask if we could have the most recent posts on the top? That way we would not have to scroll all the way down to see the latest?!

Anyway, I have some small flys in my green house. So far they are not harming anything. I put out those yellow sticky paper, and I get some. Any suggestions?

Also, all my seedlings are under light. But it does not seem to be growing as fast as I thought. And it seems that some of the tomato plants are not as green as they should be. Too much light? I am leaving it on for about 12 hours.
thanks!

North Augusta, ON

You don't have to scroll down...at the top there is a button that says "skip to new", this will take you directly to the most recent post!!

Los Gatos, CA

Wow! you learn something everyday! I am Laughing out loud, at myself!

Thanks, "Threegardeners"!!!!

Gentry, AR

" meadowyck" - Pagancat hit it on the head. and the bottom tank will be half way up the other tank so the there is a level area of water in both tanks then the lower half will draw the cold water and the upper half of the inside tank will let the heated water raise past the level point. hopefully ,"meadowyck", what were you asking the length on?

"Imagesoart" make some worm casting tea and spray all the plants. should help green up the tomatoes and if those little flies are white flies the tea will take care of them to. the bacteria in the tea will start to eat their ectoe skeleton along with aphids to.

Gentry, AR

here is my tea maker i made. just took a five gallon bucket drilled a hole in side put in a drain and it has a air stone in the bottom for aeration

tea recipe:

4 gallons water" unchlorinated"
6 cups worm castings
1/4 cup molasses "sulfur free"
put in bucket and brew for 12 to 24 hours or until the foam forms on top
the temp will dictate how long it has to brew .

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

gthumbus: I was asking the length of the cattle panel.

Pagancat: WOW that is news to me about the water, guess I never thought about. I mean I understand about the air, but never applied that to water. When it came time for chemistry, the teacher (after blowing up part of the lab) kindly suggested I chose another field of study...

This is very interesting thread. I'm going to put together a small one to see how that works with the water. Now y'all have got my interest. Please keep up the wonderful and enlightening conversations.

Another question? I'm going to start a worm compost bin later this spring, would they survive living in a greenhouse, or do you think it would be too warm/wet for them? I know they live instead a box with a lid, but I'm afraid of baking them....

Where do those that have a worm compost have yours located at?

Janet

I've read lots about worm bins, and they need to be cool, preferably in the shade. They can't get too hot or too cold, so they might be okay in there during the winter.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

thanks Cathy4

I was thinking it might be too hot. But with the winters we have up here, that might be the best place for them...

Janet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.