Nebraska bog survives

Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

I uncovered my bog and found the venus flytraps growing, they survived! A fern (unknown variety) and the purpurea pitcher plant is coming out of dormancy also.
Glad I went thru the work and tried it now!

Thumbnail by 7oaks
Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

CONGRATS!!!!

Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks, are yours greening up yet?

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow! That is so cool. Congratulations! Could you post a picture of your bog and the S. purpurea when you get a chance? :) S. purpurea is my favorite Sarracinia.

What did you cover your bog with? I am so lucky in that I can just leave my temperates outside.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

All my VFTs and Sarrs were taken out of the fridge in mid February. The sarrs are in bloom or about to bloom, the VFTs are doing well, no flower stalks yet.

Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

I mulched it with about a foot and half of pine needles and oak leaves.
This pix is from last year.

Thumbnail by 7oaks
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Really beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

I lose few plants in the winter, but in the summer trying to keep everyone watered is very difficult.

Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

We'll see how well mother nature cooperates this year with rain. Last year she was wonderful to these parts.
Where you live, I bet you do have quite the variety.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I do have lots of plants. I'll post soon. You can see my S. "Daina's Delight" on another thread. But we have a major problem with rain. My rain barrel is almost empty, and we have a few more weeks predicted with no rain. I always store more water in buckets, but it will only cover a couple days. Then distilled water from the store. My Nepenthes will get a few weeks of tap water. They are fine with a good flush afterwards. My plants have it rough though. No greenhouse, burning sun, . . . my woolly sundews had a hard time this winter. We don't heat the house, so I had a hard time keeping them warm enough under grow lights. I will clean them up and put them outside in a couple days.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.